AFL Autopsy RND 12: Loss to the Saints

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Cos they've been right on everything else...
Enough is enough...
Stop this delusion, WE ARE NOT VERY GOOD AT FOOTBALL.

I think you're right but they don't so this will continue, I think the fact that we can't trade our 1st rounder is the only reason we won't trade it, if we could we would IMO.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
There aren’t enough crayons or playdough in the world to help you understand the complexity of advanced statistics.

You’ve already shown a proclivity towards your understanding of the game.

You’re better served using your “this guy blows” or “that guys a rock star” approach Vs opening your horizons or starting the learn the intricacies of football analysis.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I am big happy about you use big words very nice

Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
If the media headlines screamed Essendon was folding, I probably wouldn't care because I don't think the players do.

The side has injuries but surely the second tier players want to come in and show why they should be in the side.

Is there anything stopping them from trading future first rounders :oops:
We can't this year, unless a bid comes in for Brand in the first round or we bring in another first.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
What about when Ridley has marked the ball at HB? Too many just jog aimlessly and drag the opposition into lanes others could be leading into.

At least against St Kilda, by the time Ridley had the ball St Kilda already had a lot of numbers behind the ball. The reason for the hesitation is usually because the space is already gone.

The difference between the backs and the mids is that the mids are getting the ball at a point on the ground when the opponent is most vulnerable (not necessarily with the time to get numbers back).

Squeaky

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2005
Up north
AFL Club
Essendon
I think you're right but they don't so this will continue, I think the fact that we can't trade our 1st rounder is the only reason we won't trade it, if we could we would IMO.
I fear that you are correct about this.
100% delusional if they think we can trade out way back to being anywhere half decent.
We can trade in whoever we like but the culture of EFC is the issue.
That is why our younger players do not develop like other clubs - it is why players we get in are too soon 'Essendoned' and look to lose confidence, hardness, or their 'edge' that made them look like good recruits at the start.

carloss

Premiership Player
Sep 4, 2007
around
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Sheffield Wednesday
My favourite bit of play was when we switched the ball in the back lines. The camera behind the goals showed that the St Kilda zone had moved across and we had almost zero to kick to and badly out numbered.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
My favourite bit of play was when we switched the ball in the back lines. The camera behind the goals showed that the St Kilda zone had moved across and we had almost zero to kick to and badly out numbered.

That was good footage, and good commentary from (I think) Hodge explaining what was going on.

St Kilda players were running ahead of ours, working harder to block the space than our guys were working to get in to space.

Instead of being able to execute the switch and having someone(s) working hard to lead to space to open up play, we allowed St Kilda to shut the outlet down.

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
That was good footage, and good commentary from (I think) Hodge explaining what was going on.

St Kilda players were running ahead of ours, working harder to block the space than our guys were working to get in to space.

Instead of being able to execute the switch and having someone(s) working hard to lead to space to open up play, we allowed St Kilda to shut the outlet down.
Were we physically not capable of leading into space? Or were we physically capable but just couldn't be bothered? Or are we too dumb to know to run into space?

Interesting to hear Daisy Pearce comment at quarter time that after 8 handballs in the 1st quarter McGrath was actually -17 meters.

Sounds a lot like nTg (net overall rating), doesn’t it.....

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Does it surprise you that the metres gained stat is in the negatives when you concede meterage? Or did you think you invented it with "nTg"?

Halftimehero

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Interestingly Dylan Shiel only played 68mins of game time, I wonder if he he’s carrying an injury? Doesn’t appear to have his explosiveness.
Merrett 84, Mcrgrath 84 and Parish 77 all considerably higher minutes.

Interestingly Dylan Shiel only played 68mins of game time, I wonder if he he’s carrying an injury? Doesn’t appear to have his explosiveness.
Merrett 84, Mcrgrath 84 and Parish 77 all considerably higher minutes.
He played about 68% in the first quarter, which struck me as odd. 10 minutes out of 15, plus time on? It's possible that instead of managing him for a whole game they're just rotating him more heavily across this period..? But then he was suspended for a couple of games so he should be relatively fresh..

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Were we physically not capable of leading into space? Or were we physically capable but just couldn't be bothered? Or are we too dumb to know to run into space?

I'm going to go with one of the latter two; too lazy or too dumb. I really can't be sure which it is based on exposed form from our players.

He played about 68% in the first quarter, which struck me as odd. 10 minutes out of 15, plus time on? It's possible that instead of managing him for a whole game they're just rotating him more heavily across this period..? But then he was suspended for a couple of games so he should be relatively fresh..

Could just be load management, having a few weeks off a few weeks ago wouldn't really make him immune to fatigue playing a condensed block of games given he's usually playing a heavily contested role, and is the first player tagged.

By their metrics he is probably not recovering. He was flat as the other day in that interview and sounded sick leading into this block. If hes been sick and played 3 games in 11 days or whatever it was hes probably just been managed through it.
Not to pin it on him because the whole team has but he has not had a good year aside from 2-3 games where he was exactly what we brought him in for.

A loss will often make you question everything when its really as simple as injuries/pandemic/not being very good but you do wonder if everything is OK behind closed doors.

resurrector

Team Captain
Apr 21, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
We ain't playing finals this year so my only hope is that for the remainder of the year we regain a bit of attacking mojo and take the game on. Will probably get a few more lashings but who cares

Back