AFL Autopsy RND 12: Loss to the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Many players were just standing around just watching saints go about it.

Scheduling & lack of experience no excuse for lack of desire.

At least the commetators are calling out our woefull play instead of building us up.

Early on in the season I felt Townsend was important to us. He has dropped off a lot since then, but I must’ve still been a little high or something.
Agreed, it’s almost like Essendon has beaten the competitive streak out of him 😜😜

Our second tier have so many flaws its so hard to stem the bleeding. I'm tired of seeing slow or skinny players spending 10 years on our list.

Our midfield of Shiel, Parish, McGrath and Merrett were the shining light. The few that looked capable of having any sort of athleticism to compete.

Guys like McKernan, Cutler, Townsend just aren't up to it. They may have a good game here or there when things are going well but thats not the making of players we need on the list.

Hurley and Gleeson cannot be relied on in defence. Hurley is competitive for the most part but makes so many mistakes in general play. He is a senior player but relies on the team, the engine to be running at optimum to be able to justify his reputation. Not sure what more I can say about Gleeson. If you don't have the size you need the skill and pace. He lacks both.

Why is Townsend still playing?

BZT was poor but had some good moments and we need to persist. King only kicked one on him after the change from Hurley.

Begley - wasn't great but has some nice size and is at least has AFL physicality. No point in playing hacks like Townsend in front of him.

Hard to see where a win will come from. Hard to see why we chose this succession plan.

Our inability to compete in a marking contest was so deplorable. Seemed like no one good even give a decent contest or get into a good position.
Shining light? We got smashed by 27 in contested ball.

We just aren't that good. I know it easy to rattle off an Injury list and say thats the problem but it just isn't.

Let's look at the missing players

Devon Smith - Been bog ordinary all year.
Aaron Francis - Has minimal to no impact on games
Tom Bellchambers - Done
Cale Hooker - Missed him tick
Orazio Fantasia - See Smith
Patrick Ambrose - Miss his toughness and accountability tick
Laverde - Really?
Zaharakis - See Laverde
Dyson Heppell - No Nat Fyfe, but still skipper, and a big upgrade on Cutler, tick
Joe Daniher - Why we even mentioning this guy. Been irrelevant for the best part of 2 and a half years and most likely won't be at the club next year. Its not as if we havent competed well and won games without him over that time!!
Jake Stringer - Our biggest loss, tick

The problem is list, mixed with player positioning and inconsistent game plans. We've introduced 3 or 4 different game styles in the past 5 years. Players look and I think are still confused.
Also until we address some serious gaps on our list and introduce some "quality" depth we will continue to be middle of the road. Injuries are inevitable and ALL teams are are effected at some stage.

Guys like Hooker, Hurley, Zaka, Gleeson etc... are stop gaps, cannot see anyone of those guys being a part of any future success/premierships. We need to persist with the youth we have and hit the top end of the draft as soon as possible. In my 41 years of supporting this mob this has been the flattest I've felt. EVER!!
Not only that, but we have this many injuries every year. It was the same last year and the year before. We can't use the "If we had a full side" excuse because that just won't happen.

A lot of sky is falling talk going on and that’s understandable. Will be 20 years without a GF appearance, 15 since a final. It sucks.

but I can see what is being built. We are building that system that will stand up come finals when we make it next year.
It just doesn’t show as we are only 10 games into it. If we had our midfield and backline of today, but our forward 50 of 2017, we would be looking at a side that are one of the contenders.

Have faith. We will get there.

Townsend is a career spud who managed to play a few decent games for Richmond and con us into giving him another AFL contract. Fair play to him. It's embarrassing to be in a situation where guys like him and McKernan are near-on best 22 players for us. They'd struggle to get a gig anywhere else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing the Saints have done which we have not done is identify the week spots and go out to fix them it it has to be the Rutten factor.
Previously they had a big slow midfield then traded for Hannebery . Rutten takes over and they target a good second ruck in Ryder , outside speed in Hill, inside game with outside speed in Jones, a good defender and a smart small forward. This is on top of some early draft picks and a few decent players on the list.
Not sure where it takes them long term but it has seen them turn things around very quickly.

It is a difficult year to be trying to work on a new game plan. It does take a bit of work with the full squad and not groups of 2 or 6 like we had early in the year.
However effort is something you can bring every week.
Working harder and thinking smarter can also be done under any circumstances.
We have a side that is either full of the dumbest footballers to pull on a boot or they do not give a fu**.
I was there today. The constant skill errors and the lack of marking power were bad but the total lack of willingness to run and outnumber was the worst. So much “appearing to chase”.

I was there today. The constant skill errors and the lack of marking power were bad but the total lack of willingness to run and outnumber was the worst. So much “appearing to chase”.
I hear what you are saying . We do roll over very easily. :(

Possibly the worst year ever to be learning a new system because we cant train it and injuries mean our key pillars arent learning it. The light at the end of the tunnel probably isnt going to be this year. Get a few dominos to fall in our favour in the off season and we will be right to launch for 2021. There are positives though:
Langford looks to be growing in confidence and is a genuine utility who can influence games
Draper is the aggression around the contest we need.
Ridley is a star.
McGrath has grown.
We are not far away.

On CPH1725 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mckenna made a statement early this year via body language in interviews He didn’t want to be here. He has since backed up his feelings with some absolute on field howlers. Once upon a time Essendon wouldn’t stand for this (pre drug saga Essendon) He would have been sent on his way with our best wishes.
The drug saga still hangs over us, it’s like we’re fighting with one hand tied behind our back. Make a stance,say thanks Connor you can go now. We are too scared to offend anyone.
We accept mediocrity, go along with it. Never used to be this way.

Townsend is a career spud who managed to play a few decent games for Richmond and con us into giving him another AFL contract. Fair play to him. It's embarrassing to be in a situation where guys like him and McKernan are near-on best 22 players for us. They'd struggle to get a gig anywhere else.
Too many that will never be ato AFL standardif we are to win finals, smack, Townsend, cutler, Clark, Mutch, Begley, Zthatcher, Guelfi , Snelling, Gleason will not be in our side if we are to be successful. McGrath, Sheil, Merrett, Langford, drapher, Cahill, etc are our future. Daniher, Fantasia and McKenna either commit now or are shown the door. Time for the old bombers to come out, being too nice , back to being ruthless , deliver or go.

They were 4 of the top 8 contested possession winners on the ground. Need to look a bit more laterally for your issues there.
Pretty sure if my teams comfortably winning and watching the opposition just turn the ball over. I'm not going to go that hard at a contest that might injure me.

Took the foot off the gas St Kilda did and it was so obvious being at the ground.

Even then we still butchered it.

Hopefully Essendon hit the track tonight. Because on paper they played... certainly didn't in person.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

We had 10 of our best 22 out this week. On a 4 day turnaround.

Effort is non negotiable, I agree, and there’s a lot of players that will be embarrassed by that review.

But honestly, what club would win with those outs?

Totally agree. This was the most predictable of losses for the reasons you say.

As bad as the performance was there is a positive to take in terms of the final margin being a 3rd of what it looked like being halfway through the second quarter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back