AFL Autopsy RND 12: Loss to the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

That was brutal viewing to put it kindly, Club and Team absolutely devoid of any leadership.

Too many in that side today that just aren’t going to make it. Seemed to be little to
no thought put in to team changes and whilst we have a lot of injuries I have absolutely zero confidence that we have the right coaching team in place to take us forward.

Ruck/Forward should be Draper and Phillips for the rest of the year along with Stewart.

McKernan - Gone
Cutler - Gone
Townsend - Gone
McKenna - Gone

There needs to be a real emphasis on recruiting and drafting players with competitive instinct, no more soft flakey outside types. It may mean we aren’t good enough for a while but the whole culture of this club needs an overhaul

Ambrose Francis Mcbride
Redman Hooker Hibberd
Zaharakis Stringer Ham
Fantasia Daniher Laverde
Cahill Phillips Mosquito
Bellchambers Smith Heppell
Gown Crauford Jones Mcquillan

I am not convinced our 22 today would beat this 22 who didnt play.

Last edited:

Totally agree. This was the most predictable of losses for the reasons you say.

As bad as the performance was there is a positive to take in terms of the final margin being a 3rd of what it looked like being halfway through the second quarter.

Yep. Next week however, if we see the same mess and we have Hooker, Fantasia, Smith and Daniher in the side, I’ll be really concerned.

Not saying we should win, but the play and forward efficiency should be a lot different with these players in compared to the VFL squad we needed to play this week.

One thing the Saints have done which we have not done is identify the week spots and go out to fix them it it has to be the Rutten factor.
Previously they had a big slow midfield then traded for Hannebery . Rutten takes over and they target a good second ruck in Ryder , outside speed in Hill, inside game with outside speed in Jones, a good defender and a smart small forward. This is on top of some early draft picks and a few decent players on the list.
Not sure where it takes them long term but it has seen them turn things around very quickly.
Do you mean Ratten?

Mckenna made a statement early this year via body language in interviews He didn’t want to be here. He has since backed up his feelings with some absolute on field howlers. Once upon a time Essendon wouldn’t stand for this (pre drug saga Essendon) He would have been sent on his way with our best wishes.

Your thoughts on why he doesn’t want to be at the club? I can’t stand his dumb face after he makes a mistake. Not even angry with himself; he just runs off as if it’s not a big deal.

There was a female Essendon official who was smiling at three quarter time. This pathetic acceptance of mediocrity should not be tolerated. This is symptomatic of our club. I would move her on.

There was a female Essendon official who was smiling at three quarter time. This pathetic acceptance of mediocrity should not be tolerated. This is symptomatic of our club. I would move her on.
******* women. They should stick to making sandwiches am I right boys!

Ambrose Francis Mcbride
Redman Hooker Hibberd
Zaharakis Stringer Ham
Fantasia Daniher Laverde
Cahill Phillips Mosquito
Bellchambers Smith Heppell
Gown Crauford Jones Mcquillan

I am not convinced our 22 today would beat this 22 who did t play.
I am

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look it was a crap game by us. Mind you has anybody won off a 4 day break this year against a team with a longer break?
We managed tons of players and sure they weren't superstars but generally the players we brought in were even worse.

I'm willing to give this week a pass and see what we present next week against a quality side in Richmond with a number of key players back in the side. If we are still totally non competitive and look like a disorganised mess well that will tell us something as well.

Most concerning is the team is playing without any creativity or confidence... Barely any switching or hitting up that 45 degree pass. It's nothing but bang it up the line for a throw in at best

Most concerning is the team is playing without any creativity or confidence... Barely any switching or hitting up that 45 degree pass. It's nothing but bang it up the line for a throw in at best

One of the things we are generally really poor at is movement ahead of the ball. So often our players do what I'd call move without purpose, and half heartedly lead for the ball but all they end up doing is occupying space. There was one bit of play on the outer wing today where one saints player was able to defend three of our blokes because they couldn't work out how to properly space themselves. Meant what should have been a simple 30m pass forward couldn't happen and the bloke with footy had to go backwards or down the line to a contest.

This happens all too often and often it's the player with the footy who gets the blame when the fault really lies with those ahead of them offering nothing.

Not sure whether it's coaching, players lacking footy IQ, or players lacking confidence to demand the footy that is the main issue here, but its infuriating to watch.

Good teams like West Coast by contrast do this so well.

One of the things we are generally really poor at is movement ahead of the ball. So often our players do what I'd call move without purpose, and half heartedly lead for the ball but all they end up doing is occupying space. There was one bit of play on the outer wing today where one saints player was able to defend three of our blokes because they couldn't work out how to properly space themselves. Meant what should have been a simple 30m pass forward couldn't happen and the bloke with footy had to go backwards or down the line to a contest.

This happens all too often and often it's the player with the footy who gets the blame when the fault really lies with those ahead of them offering nothing.

Not sure whether it's coaching, players lacking footy IQ, or players lacking confidence to demand the footy that is the main issue here, but its infuriating to watch.

Yeah this is a good shout. On the rare occasions you do see an upfield shot on the TV coverage these days you don't see a whole lotta activity.
Even with kick ins we tend to mostly go to the back pocket which just closes us in even more. So frustrating

I attribute a lot of this to over handballing.

How would you lead to a 5 handball clearance?

The post was being sarcastic mocking what the poster perceived to be the sexism in the post quoted, or it was carrying on the same joke.
Irrelevant. The previous post was about a staffer smiling, this one was about them being a woman.

Look it was a crap game by us. Mind you has anybody won off a 4 day break this year against a team with a longer break?
We managed tons of players and sure they weren't superstars but generally the players we brought in were even worse.

I'm willing to give this week a pass and see what we present next week against a quality side in Richmond with a number of key players back in the side. If we are still totally non competitive and look like a disorganised mess well that will tell us something as well.

Geelong but this was their injury list

Attachments

• B15B3D6E-3616-4840-B30D-A61F3C5C5982.jpeg
    B15B3D6E-3616-4840-B30D-A61F3C5C5982.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 81

Remove this Banner Ad

Back