AFL Autopsy Rnd 12: Loss to the Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

It was tough because Zaka was the one filling a midfield rotation for McGrath before he pinged a hammy.

I know he’s limited offensively but I think we could have mitigated our lack of rotations further by playing Ambrose as a wingman instead of a marking forward.
I know there is a lot of Zakka hate, but he wasn't too bad before his injury. Had he stayed fit we might have snatched a win.

Exactly the type we need to target at the draft along with the big bodied mid. It is good going more defensive over the ground but you need the odd guy who can blow the struggle open and with Tippas age it is becoming a priority.
Was hoping Mozzie might have been that type (obviously not as good) but not looking promising that he will make it.

I know there is a lot of Zakka hate, but he wasn't too bad before his injury. Had he stayed fit we might have snatched a win.

Yeah just on experience and having an AFL standard tank he’s going to be better than Perkins as a mid at this stage. Was a huge loss when you considered the McGrath injury.

I posted the below on the main board. If we hadn’t of had so many injuries to our midfield we’d have had some talented mids sitting on a flank ready to grab McGrath’s midfield spot and try and make it their own.

Essendon came into the year with a thin midfield and have been smashed by injuries in that area for this game

Would have the midfield depth chart as:

Merrett
Parish
Shiel (inj)
McGrath (inj)
Caldwell (inj)
Smith (inj)
Langford
Snelling (inj)
Zaharakis (inj)

We were forced to play Perkins and Hind through the midfield today who have no experience as AFL mids.

Yeah just on experience and having an AFL standard tank he’s going to be better than Perkins as a mid at this stage. Was a huge loss when you considered the McGrath injury.

I posted the below on the main board. If we hadn’t of had so many injuries to our midfield we’d have had some talented mids sitting on a flank ready to grab McGrath’s midfield spot and try and make it their own.
Only problem with that is at the start of the year Parish was below Caldwell and above Smith :p He's certainly moved up the ranks now though. Oh and no Stringer. Stringer usually gets more CBAs than Langford does, though he plays forward otherwise.

Only problem with that is at the start of the year Parish was below Caldwell and above Smith :p He's certainly moved up the ranks now though. Oh and no Stringer. Stringer usually gets more CBAs than Langford does, though he plays forward otherwise.

Pretty stoked that assuming we sign Merrett and Parish that we’ll have a midfield rotation of Shiel, Merrett, Parish and McGrath. Hopefully we can murder sides on the spread

I think regardless, Parish would have commanded more midfield minutes.

It is a bit of a misnomer that he didn't get midfield exposure. He was always elite with his hands & vision but did go missing in games and could be pushed off the ball easily. I am sure the coaches knew his potential.

He has has made no secret that he has increased his tank, combine that with an extra preseason & injuries to midfield group, the planets have aligned perfectly for him. Mentally too, he is enjoying his footy and gels with Rutten, like most of the players now.

I think regardless, Parish would have commanded more midfield minutes.

It is a bit of a misnomer that he didn't get midfield exposure. He was always elite with his hands & vision but did go missing in games and could be pushed off the ball easily. I am sure the coaches knew his potential.

He has has made no secret that he has increased his tank, combine that with an extra preseason & injuries to midfield group, the planets have aligned perfectly for him. Mentally too, he is enjoying his footy and gels with Rutten, like most of the players now.
It's pretty clear that even with his preseason and his tank, he was still being played as more of a mid-forward in round 1 and the start of round 2 (that's the game everyone got injured). It was only after the others got injured that he got a spot in the first midfield rotation.

Someone broke down the CBAs and I'm pretty sure I looked up his heat maps and stuff for the Parish thread on the trade board not that long ago. Beforehand he had about 35-40% CBAs, now it's close to 90% (which also bears out in the heat maps as I mentioned). Injuries have definitely given him more opportunity than he ever dreamed of at the start of the season, and lucky for him, lucky for us, he's taken it with both hands and now we're talking about Brownlow votes.

Was hoping Mozzie might have been that type (obviously not as good) but not looking promising that he will make it.
When watching Bolton’s emergence in the last couple of years I would think Andrew McLeod. South mover, slots goals easily from 50, and takes big marks. He is a good example why it isn’t necessary to tank if you have good recruiters. Was taken 29 in the McGrath draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your logic is flawed. Geelong during their peak were hard at it but weren't dirty. success is not bought about by dirtyness.
freo are generally a dirty team. fyfe our captain is a dirty player, we have terrible since the dawn of time.
In saying that freo have recently apart from fyfe and walters have lost their cheap shots behaviour.

Personally i doubt seeing 5 cheap shots through out the match is actually the cause of your success.
You're kidding! Geelong were plenty dirty. Hocking, Milburn, Stevie J, Scarlett. I remember Cam Mooney always trying to bury someone's head in the dirt or elbow to the head after a mark or after it crossed the boundary line. And yet you think Fyfe is dirty?? He walks a fine line at times and sometimes crosses it but he's no Milburn, Johnson or Mooney. Sorry, off topic I realise. Too Bombers fans, you're going to be fine. Such incredible talent out there.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

You're kidding! Geelong were plenty dirty. Hocking, Milburn, Stevie J, Scarlett. I remember Cam Mooney always trying to bury someone's head in the dirt or elbow to the head after a mark or after it crossed the boundary line. And yet you think Fyfe is dirty?? He walks a fine line at times and sometimes crosses it but he's no Milburn, Johnson or Mooney. Sorry, off topic I realise. Too Bombers fans, you're going to be fine. Such incredible talent out there.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app
i forgot about milburn and hocking. You might have a point.

The match was what it was. The positives indicators and outcomes from this match far outweigh the negatives.
The bye is here just in time.
Our lack of depth is about to be seriously tested and there will be some make or break opportunities for fringe guys between now and the end of the season. Overall it feels like we are on the right track. It’ll be interesting to see if we can maintain the mindset and output while decimated with injury.

Kudos to Dusty for doing the right thing there though!!
HTB non decisions are across the board. Clubs should be formally questioning AFL. There has to be a clear direction from somewhere to keep the game moving at ALL costs, they can't miss this many. I can live with the 50/50 ones not being paid but there are so many "clear as day" ones not being rewarded.

Rewarding good tackles is a fabric of our game. Pressure needs to be applied to whatever committee is running the game.

The chorus of angst is growing between coaches, fans and commentators/media. It is not a fleeting outbusrt.

Just listening to review of the game and it was stated that Tigers scored 101 points off turnovers (season record).

That is the game right there.

Edit: Tigers pressure of the ball user forces some turnovers, but lots of skill errors too.

Plus, totally fixable.

Lack of marking power hurt us last night as well IMO.

Just listening to review of the game and it was stated that Tigers scored 101 points off turnovers (season record).

That is the game right there.

Plus, totally fixable too.

Lack of marking power hurt us too IMO.
I remember 4 dropped marks in second half that directly resulted in goals to tigers.
AFL players should not consistently let the ball bounce of their hands.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back