AFL Toast RND 12: Win against NORF

Remove this Banner Ad

Aside from the lack of a W, if I was a North fan, I’d be licking my lips at that midfield performance. It was utterly dominant. I can see that posters point.

It’s the kind of loss that would give their squad a heap of confidence.
Absolutely. They keep that up and they'll get a few more wins this year

Unless we can improve our handball we will go nowhere. North stayed in the game with handball that hit more targets.
Ours was sloppy and all over the place.
Totally agree, the number of turnovers from forward handball attempts would be significant

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Can’t believe I’m seeing us get hammered cause we didn’t win by 5 plus goals … get a grip guys … credit to north they were good today and that wardlaw crushed our mids … a win is a win but doesn’t mean we are crap.. we have a lot of key player missing at the moment … wright, parish, Kelly,tippa, Reid,…. Credit to the boys for always being in the game and fighting it out … not always going to pump teams to a pulp… we are heading in the right direction and that’s the key factor from what we saw in the past few years …. Go bombersss
What should be our standard quality of footy (not even our best footy) is better than what we saw yesterday...

Interesting in the background of the two player interviews for round 12 on the club website.

Cal Twomey hanging around chatting to Parish, who is talking to some kids on the other side of the barrier.

Redman has ice on his right quad and Sean Murphy standing behind him while he's signing autographs along with Hobbs, Guelfi and Snelling.

Stringer's kids made it into the room and he hugged them and took them out of view of the camera (the only person who seemed to realise the camera was there).

Hind wondered over to sign a couple of autographs and then ducked under the tape and wondered through the crowd.

I think Draper is in the back of the room in the background of Heppell's interview too but not sure if he's in the crowd or if the tape barrier is curved around.

We had a younger team than norf's... yet we're held to a different expectation.

Pretty amusing to be honest, if not slightly unfair.
The skewed perception of Essendon is very curious.
We were anticipated to be bottom 4 in 2023. We finished right next to Norf on the ladder in 2022. We’re younger than they are as a squad and were missing significantly more proven quality and future potential players on the day in the form of Shiel, Parish, Setterfield, 2MP, and 3 young recent top ten picks in Tsatas, Cox and Reid.
Despite all of these factors we’re reportedly a mid table, going nowhere list that should be spanking lower teams otherwise we’re even shitter than expected? The proof will be in the pudding and we’ve got a long way to go before we start establishing respect BUT at the moment we’re just not being evaluated accurately.

Last edited:
Can’t believe I’m seeing us get hammered cause we didn’t win by 5 plus goals … get a grip guys … credit to north they were good today and that wardlaw crushed our mids … a win is a win but doesn’t mean we are crap.. we have a lot of key player missing at the moment … wright, parish, Kelly,tippa, Reid,…. Credit to the boys for always being in the game and fighting it out … not always going to pump teams to a pulp… we are heading in the right direction and that’s the key factor from what we saw in the past few years …. Go bombersss
Wouldnt say its because we didnt win by 5 goals. But we did let a young midfield, albeit batting deeper than ours, really run us off our feet.

I wouldn't call reid key either. Maybe the spot but he's got baldwin and hayes to leapfrog for a look in at afl level...and they've got zerk and lav ahead of them.

Win is good
Made it harder than it needed to be.

The skewed perception of Essendon is very curious.
We were anticipated to be bottom 4 in 2023. We finished right next to Norf on the ladder in 2022. We’re younger than they are as a squad and were missing significantly more proven quality and future potential on the day in the form of Shiel, Parish, Setterfield, 2MP, and 3 young recent top ten picks in Tsatas, Cox and Reid.
Despite all of these factors we’re reportedly a mid table, going nowhere list that should be spanking lower teams otherwise we’re even shitter than expected? The proof will be in the pudding and we’ve got a long way to go before we start establishing respect BUT at the moment we’re just not being evaluated accurately.
Very happy to be going under a few radars.
Though I don't imagine opposition coaches/players are thinking that

7-5 with our leading goal kicker/reigning BnF due back
Elite clearance mid to come back
Still got shiel and Setterfield to get back in
And we havent blooded a kid who was top 5 last tear.

And, we've not really played that well the last two weeks

Dodged a banana peel yday.
I hope we respond and take it up to carlton.

I know it’s unpopular to compliment North, but they have some impressive kids. Ratten is coaching really well too. They challenged Collingwood for large portions of the game last week, so that was the quintessential danger game. Happy to have (barely) passed the test and secured the four points.
yeah they were impressive AF, wardlaw and sheezle are both talents in their first year

Just watched the replay and it demonstrates the skewed perspective Essendon fans have when there is an expectation of an easy win. That was a really good game and north played at a level that would make finals if they could do it every week. I’m super impressed with our team that they played at the intensity that was required and weren’t complacent. It wasn’t our best game because of the likes of weideman who had a shocker, but it was far from our worst game.
The ball didn’t bounce for us either which was another factor. Kicks off the ground went straight to north etc
It really is so much easier to watch that sort of game when you know the result!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the replay and it demonstrates the skewed perspective Essendon fans have when there is an expectation of an easy win. That was a really good game and north played at a level that would make finals if they could do it every week. I’m super impressed with our team that they played at the intensity that was required and weren’t complacent. It wasn’t our best game because of the likes of weideman who had a shocker, but it was far from our worst game.
The ball didn’t bounce for us either which was another factor. Kicks off the ground went straight to north etc
It really is so much easier to watch that sort of game when you know the result!
The only teams that have really blown away the Roos have been the very best teams (Lions 77 - 152, Dees (49 - 139, Power 65 - 135)

For us to be winning these as a younger, less experienced side is a terrific result

it shows we’ve matured because we’d have lost that game in years gone past

it shows we’ve matured because we’d have lost that game in years gone past
Well actually we've lost maturity technically speaking. What's different i think is that the side has a structure and plan that works week in week out. If it's the game plan that's matured then i agree! For years now the club has relied on "lifting" in order to win games. At a professional level you can't rely on being the more hungry team every week.

Well actually we've lost maturity technically speaking. What's different i think is that the side has a structure and plan that works week in week out. If it's the game plan that's matured then i agree! For years now the club has relied on "lifting" in order to win games. At a professional level you can't rely on being the more hungry team every week.
game plan + attitude has matured

Remove this Banner Ad

Back