Preview Rnd 13 - Carlton v Bulldogs Sat 15th June 7.25PM @ Etihad - Team Post #426

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll put my house on it Murph (if fit) is in for Dow. Tough for Dow BUT here’s why:

- our link up play yesterday was sensational. We got many ‘chains’ going
- LOB (well done son, well ******* done) was in many of them. The two way running of Gibbons, Walsh, Ed and LOB was bloody sensational and there’s no way are they undoing that.
- Dow was not really in that group. Seemed to play more forward with occasional midfield stints.
- Walsh will pick up the centre bounce stuff (he goes well at....EVERYTHING) and vacate the wing
- not a hope are they leaving out Murph. None. He takes the Walsh’s wing. Walsh assumes his rightful place....right alongside Batman. In the guts.

I don’t mind Dow going back for a while. Didn’t seem to hurt Weiters....

To recap: my Lord I was wrapt in LOB yesterday. HUGE intensity lift. HUGE. And kept working hard all day. Was horribly unrewarded in Q1 when Cunners ran forward and chipped to McKay who was covered when LOB had dropped his man on a 150m sprint that left him alone in the goal Square. Seems fitter. Looked much stronger but that must be intensity and mindset.

He IS gonna make it. So is Dow. But Dow may have to make way for a bit.
This weekend okay to pick up the keys?

Are we really even going to debate such a claim? Is there a point?
If we attain 2 starting 22 players, we would have done very well. 3 would be unbelievable.

spot on..

Now we could pick up 4-5, but it would come at a cost.

spot on..
Now we could pick up 4-5, but it would come at a cost.

We have less bargaining chips this year, but we'll reel in the bigger fish? NO!

1 premium FA - Coniglio....................................although it won't happen.
1 premium player - Papley for Adelaide's pick ......would do it.
1 quality player and need - Cunningham..............now we have to get creative.

How hard is that?
We get posters citing next years picks as trade value. They're really not so valuable as we think they may be.
Have said many times over that you have to discount the value of trading the following years picks. One week year, is a long time in football.

You said quality players soap.. you have listed;
Walsh - a gun No.1 draft pick. (Yes)
Stocker - has done everything right but is still a couple of seasons away (Not yet)
Newman - a role player, I like him but he needs to improve his disposal (No)
Setterfield - I like the kid, gets the pill but needs to improve disposal and should, but quality.. not yet (Not yet)
McGovern - should get better but has the tools and presence (Yes)
Gibbons- love the kid. Will be our Kane Lambert (Yes)
Goddard (No)
BSoS (Not yet)
Bugg (lol)
Fasolo (No)
Cottrell (Not yet)

So I would suggest we should pick up 2-3 quality players, 2-3 players with potential to be quality and a couple of role players/depth coverage.

I suppose we have different ideas of quality.
Why does everyone forget about poor ol' Finbar in the conversation...

He would be leading the nb best and fairest comfortably

Reckon Nick Graham would have been leading the NB's B&F at some points in time............so what's your point? :)

To be fair though, Goddard has been good and getting better....but a gun? Temper expectations, but we may get lucky here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The latter is why he won’t have a place in a premiership pushing side if he doesn’t improve that aspect of his game.

The former is a quality that, if paired with ability in the latter, makes him intro an extremely good third forward.

FWIW I don’t think he has the innate strength in grip, body or through the shoulders to be able to clunk those or out body opponents. I hope he proves wrong.

His dad was an absolute powerhouse, able to move any player off the ball including GAB snr, the only player he had trouble moving was Plugger. The bloodlines don't agree with your assessment. Jsos is still a very young man. No guarantee he will be as strong as SOS but it is too early to say he doesn't have the innate strength.

I reckon it will, and will help the likes of Walsh, SPS, LOB and Fisher.

Murphy's strength is gut running and being a link up midfielder from half back to half forward, hitting up short targets along the way and then delivering inside 50. Our previous game style didn't suit those strengths as there was little movement and cohesion among the players...we saw guys like LOB and SPS also have one of their better games last week.

Worth watching Teague's press conference for anyone who hasn't yet.
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2019-06-14/teague-backs-motivated-blues
I tell ya what, it’s really hard not to like Teaguey.

In reference to the original discussion IMO those players have improved the list and I expect this years 5-8 recruits/changes to do the same. Not interested in semantics

Once again very simple discussion gets turned into chest beating :mad:

Not chest beating soapy.. I just can't see how we can add 5-8 quality players.
Now if we do, it definitely won't be 'easy' mate and I fear it would also cost us some quality.

His dad was an absolute powerhouse, able to move any player off the ball including GAB snr, the only player he had trouble moving was Plugger. The bloodlines don't agree with your assessment. Jsos is still a very young man. No guarantee he will be as strong as SOS but it is too early to say he doesn't have the innate strength.
I personally think that if Jack takes those 3 - 4 marks that he had first hands on last week then he plays this week. Only needs to clean up two things for mine, previously mentioned marking and his goalkicking (which shouldn't be too hard as he has a nice kicking action).
Only other concern is whether him and Mitch have enough points of difference to both play as third tall forwards.

Think JSOS works really hard, but needs to play more as a tall than a small, forward pressure type.

It’s like he’s the wrong build for the type of forward he plays like.

But he kid is committed, and think he’ll make it over the journey.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fair post Head. He’s young and has upside . Gotta hold those marks and convert .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The question for me is where does Jack fit in?

I don't think he's a mid especially with what we have coming through.

In defence we have so many tall/nearly tall options. Up forward we have McGovern Charlie Kerr McKay TDK. We need 3 Max. in my opinion.

I'm not saying Jack isn't good enough but he's going to have to keep improving and find his niche to be a regular best 22.
Jack will show he’s a brilliant defender and a mile in front of Plowman if they ever give him consistent weeks down back.

Not chest beating soapy.. I just can't see how we can add 5-8 quality players.
Now if we do, it definitely won't be 'easy' mate and I fear it would also cost us some quality.

Of course we won’t be landing a haul like that, let’s try keep things real.
If we were to land Papley it would be a major get and cost every bit of Adelaide’s first.
Bolton or Butler from Richmond would be nice additions and Martin from GC can play.
Lynch from Collingwood perhaps.
Forget Coniglio as a FA, maybe Cunningham from Sydney or Elliott from Collingwood who is a gun but an injury risk.

Papley or Martin = Adelaide’s pick.
Butler = future 2nd rounder.
Lynch = minor outlay.
Cunningham or Elliott = FA.

Jack will show he’s a brilliant defender and a mile in front of Plowman if they ever give him consistent weeks down back.
Anyone on our list who is miles in front of Plowman would already be in the team and in contention for AA honours.

Of course we won’t be landing a haul like that, let’s try keep things real.
If we were to land Papley it would be a major get and cost every bit of Adelaide’s first.
Bolton or Butler from Richmond would be nice additions and Martin from GC can play.
Lynch from Collingwood perhaps.
Forget Coniglio as a FA, maybe Cunningham from Sydney or Elliott from Collingwood who is a gun but an injury risk.

Papley or Martin = Adelaide’s pick.
Butler = future 2nd rounder.
Lynch = minor outlay.
Cunningham or Elliott = FA.

Papley over Martin everyday of the week. Would take Martin for our future second plus a sweetener.
Butler doesn't look as hungry anymore. Doesn't play with the same intensity as what he did in their flag year. A pass for mine.
Haven't seen Lynch play but why not. Everyone here seems to love the bloke so he must be able to play.
Cunningham and Elliot, yes please :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back