Preview Rnd 13 - Carlton v Bulldogs Sat 15th June 7.25PM @ Etihad - Team Post #426

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it doesn't. I related that anecdote to confirm what the club has said all along.

Would be an absurd invasion of privacy to be telling people any more than "the symptoms continue and the situation is being monitored".

The access to personal imformation (especially medical information) that some people expect, simply because they barrack for a sporting team, beggars belief.
Who is asking for personal information?

All I did was agree that the impact of the concussion must be worse than we feared because of the extended absence without any further information from the club.

I've moved on from Bolton Soapy - because I'm sick of teh whole situation - but I have made up my mind on why he is no longer there.

We are one game behind last year's preliminary finalists in Melbourne = how safe is their coach - really? Is he to making the same mistakes as stubborn unproven coaches make every year? i reckon the game has moved far far beyond the one coach has all the answers caper. Isn't it interesting that Clarkson has so many proteges coaching in other CLubs these days? - Speaks volumes about Clarkson's own belief in the importance of strong assistance all around him.

Look at Fagan in Brisbane - he has an on field coach in Hodge guiding his team - did you watch the TV replay and how closely these two were communicating on the sidelines?

Bolton can only play who he had available to play - but some of his positional choices were beyond my ability to understand Soapy. Ed to HFF - really really??? how much better does Fisher look off a flank - than in the middle trying to scrap against blokes literally 15 kilos heavier? Same for Dow - what exactly does a coach expect from an undersized second year player ?

THIS is where Bolton's choices were inexplicable- he weakened two positions and the team by playing the wrong bloke(s) in the wrong spots guaranteeing failure in both positions...compounding negatives ...

SPS is far better employed off HBF and Fisher far better employed off a wing/HFF - that is two wins there instead of two losses - which compound over 4 quarters. I can bore you to death with many examples...how about compromising forward structures to make up for conscious decisions to disadvantage between the arcs?

The players were on a hiding to nothing with his on ball structures all year and totally exposed against sides who attacked his weak structures purposefully (eg Norfs) OR just had better lists ( GWS) - by the time we came up against EssenDONE - I have no doubt he lost the players confidence and they played like it.

All that said - for whatever reason(s) we are still undermanned in terms of on ball rotations - can get away with it when everything clicks - but not a reliable or sustainable situation. This coming trade period will be absolutely crucial to progress next year - I hope the Club is all over it like Ed was on Neil in second half.

Bolton was let down by the lack of a senior mentor - it appears that Bolton also played a large part in his own repeated errors - by ignoring his assistants if we are to believe insider rumours- what is the point of assistants if they aren't given a voice - especially in the context of repeated fails- where was the post match audit ? How many losses did Bolton expect supporters to cop or his marketing team to explain or his players to cope with ?

We saw in Buckley and Hardwick classic cases of senior coach being improved by having senior assistants more of a say. The Club would have been aware of the goings on - sacking him mid year before the bye - was not something that anyone wanted - was it forced by Bolton himself? I would say it all points to that.
Would like to think we gave Bolts plenty of feedback and multiple opportunities to make the necessary changes before pulling the trigger.

Still don’t understand the inability of the club to find a suitable replacement for Neil Craig.

Corrwct me if I am wrong but - I think we DID try to get midfielders in...

Didn't we make bids for Hopper / Smith etc and then a big bid for Shiel - so I think the Club was trying - was the focus too narrow? ...was there a significant miscalculation in what was required to get the right developed player over to Carlton ( money contract length?)

We don't know all we know is that Carlton is a developed mid or two 'short' of being a serious headache for any opposition - instead of a flaky nuisance for the first ten minutes...

My sentence didn't make sense in context, as what I was getting at, was that ECurnow should always have been utilised in the centre as required and not about us targeting others. I have no issue with what we did off-field, but plenty for what we did on.

Why Ed? The obvious reasons to tag, but also to allow not just Cripps, but Dow to have moments out of the centre.
I didn't mind the way we started but when the obvious was very obvious, do something about it - But we chose not to.

I wasn't half as worried about Cripps as I was for Dow. Guy must have consumed about 10kgs of turf through the pre-season and to date.

Espio

Team Captain
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Hopefully our list manager was listening and has enacted "Operation Get Papley" .

Honestly he is at the top of my “most wanted” list, above Bont etc. it is though very difficult to see Sydney let him go on present form. He is perilously close to their best player at present and quality teams rarely let a piece of that value go.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

BlueView

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I’m interested to see how the Bulldogs approach this game.

Last time around they went head to head with us Cripps and SPS did the bulk of the damage, wonder if they’ll take a more defensive mindset or if that’s the only way they know.

Likewise with Teague does Ed get a job in the middle from the get go or if he takes a wait and see approach again

Who is asking for personal information?

All I did was agree that the impact of the concussion must be worse than we feared because of the extended absence without any further information from the club.

The club has said lingering symptoms, not what the symptoms are, hence my comment about lack of news from the club to explain the extended absence beyond the normal recovery period.

How do you expect the club to release details of concussive symptoms without divulging information about Liam's test results?

El Topo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 18, 2013
the wilderness
AFL Club
Carlton
To be sure my memory was not playing tricks on me I watched last 2 minutes v GCS again. (It’s easy to find on You Tube)

Had 3 possessions.

Trailed his opponent to contests while deep in defence.

2 kicks were rushed scrubbers along the ground to avoid being tackled.

The other was long kick down the line after missing easier options to retain possession.

Murph was a Star - but not anymore.

Murph's final quarter against Port Adelaide the fortnight prior was Old Yeller time. Here's hoping he can make an impact in 2019 as a small forward and retire with dignity intact.

How do you expect the club to release details of concussive symptoms without divulging information about Liam's test results?
I don’t. It was an observation only, not a request

El Topo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 18, 2013
the wilderness
AFL Club
Carlton
My sentence didn't make sense in context, as what I was getting at, was that ECurnow should always have been utilised in the centre as required and not about us targeting others. I have no issue with what we did off-field, but plenty for what we did on.

Why Ed? The obvious reasons to tag, but also to allow not just Cripps, but Dow to have moments out of the centre.
I didn't mind the way we started but when the obvious was very obvious, do something about it - But we chose not to.

I wasn't half as worried about Cripps as I was for Dow. Guy must have consumed about 10kgs of turf through the pre-season and to date.

I wonder to what extent Bolton's plan for 2019 included Kennedy playing that supporting midfield role. If so, the lack of a plan B is telling.

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
If Thomas has aspirations of playing 2020 then Marc Murphy certainly will.
Murphy plays against the Dogs if cleared fit, whom make way? probably O'Brien.

Bolton was big on player 'learning to endure' ...never understood what that meant ...

Love the Drake

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2013
Mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Pretty happy to go unchanged after such a good win with everyone contributing.

Murph, stocker and Jones given an extra two weeks to get themselves right (this week and the bye).

Deluca and Kennedy to press their claims with strong VFL form.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
FB: Newman, Weitering, Marchbank
HB: Thomas, Casboult, Simpson
R: Kreuzer, Cripps, Curnow
C: Walsh, Dow, SPS
HF: Fisher, Curnow, Cuningham
FF: McGovern, McKay, Silvagni
Int: Gibbons, Setterfield, Plowman, Murphy/O'Brien

Bolded are locks after the game next week.

Only question is if you need all three of Newman, Marchbank and Plowman against the Dogs and Murphy v O'Brien the only other query, which in itself is pretty tough given O'Brien was solid last week.

I’m interested to see how the Bulldogs approach this game.

Last time around they went head to head with us Cripps and SPS did the bulk of the damage, wonder if they’ll take a more defensive mindset or if that’s the only way they know.

Likewise with Teague does Ed get a job in the middle from the get go or if he takes a wait and see approach again
Ed should go to Macrae.

I don’t. It was an observation only, not a request
To suggest that your original post was not framed as a request for more information is a descent into verbal gymnastics, so I think it's time to stop derailing the thread.

Based on the anecdote that my sister relayed to me, I doubt we'll see Liam before the bye, and I'm glad to see that the club has taken a very cautious approach with him thus far.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Relative changes from 12 months ago (assuming no change from last week & used 2018 rd 11 & 12 for comparison as we had the bye in rd 12 last year, had the same number of changes for both)

Out/In:
  1. Kerridge - Walsh
  2. Lamb - Newman
  3. Wright - Gibbons
  4. Rowe - McGovern
  5. Jones - Marchbank
  6. Kerr - McKay
  7. Lang - Setterfield
  8. O'Shea(11)/Graham(13) - Casboult(11)/Cuningham(13)

agro

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 7, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I've heard Bolts and others say repeatedly that Jones has been suffering lingering concussive symptoms, so I don't understand comments like this.

But in relation to Liam, my sister was at the game on Saturday and she got talking to a bloke who was there with his son. The bloke and his son had been to training during the week and related a story (of which they showed her evidence) that I'd rather not share here. What I will say is that I'm glad they're taking their time with him, it sounds like this concussion was a doozy.

There is no need to hurry him back - it’s not like we’re contending for a place in the eight.

We have a bye after this week, so allow him this week off as well, plus the bye, just to make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back