Preview Rnd 13 - Carlton v Gold Coast Friday 21st August 7.50PM @ TIO Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m really excited about tonight’s game, as I am with most games, the idea that we are still in the hunt for finals is something I haven’t felt for a long time. We go in to tonight’s game in a very good position, the GC only played on Monday and looked tired.

Im happy with the ins, TDK is not ready to play 60-70% ruck time and needing Levi to chop out a lot hurts or forward structure. Pitt in, means Levi can focus on paying forward and Pitt and TDK can share ruck duties, it’s also a great chance for TDK to gain experience as playing as a forward.
Martin for Honey is a massive upgrade, hopefully he is fit.

Other than holding a slight concern for our age and that we haven’t rotated many players, I feel we are in a great spot.

Go Blues.

I think I've read " perhaps late change due to conditions" post about 100 times this year and it never happens. Just deal with the fact Teague wants tdk and pitt in the side... and Pitt will be at the first bounce

Correct, don't have too many late changes under teague

Lukosius is 195cm, Williamson is 190cm - not ideal but not insurmountable if thats the way we choose to go.
For the engine, Willo has the speed and endurance. So if it's a contested ball on the deck, I like Willo's chances. Backs himself and doesn't mind a "don't argue".

I don't like Willo in contested marking contests - Luko will smoke him with height, I feel.

Happy to be wrong though...

I don’t see the money tree shrinking anytime soon. The AFL own the product that produces the $$$$, current revenue is based on the number of games supposed to be this year and currently scheduled next season.

What I’m trying to say is, instead of taking any hit, the AFL will imo increase the amount of games next year to make up any shortfall or add an elimination round before finals. I just have a feeling, the condensed fixture has given the AFL a test case of how a longer fixture could work.

Specifics aside, do you think the AFL will take a hit or just put out more of the product?

For sure the AFL is trying to tick as many boxes in the TV rights contracts as possible - we arent privy to the details of the contracts so it is all speculation regarding how much of a hit the AFL is copping or not from TV side ( eg was ther a Force Majeure clause(s) ? - we know ground takings are now gonski

what isn't a speculation though is TV/Broadcast industry trends in general...

FOX is in a fair bit of trouble as far as revenue goes because of massively increased streaming alternatives - so their core franchise is under siege. Kayo is a very good defensive measure onm their part - giving people streaming access to Sport - and a lot of people who subscribe to Netflix / Stan etc for TV and Movie content are dumping Foxtel and using Kayo + whoever for movies/TV - at a 50% savings....No need to talk about all so called free to air TV stations - they are bleeding cash - is seven still telecasting non HD football games ( just one example of disinvestment)

The next round of AFL / NRL negotiations is therefore likely to see significant pressure on the payments for TV rights to the AFL - from any party involved.

If /when this happens - this will feed through the AFL machine / Clubs / Players contracts...

Should we be concerned about the inclusions of Swallow and Harbrow? I havnt seen a he wins play much this year so not sure what those guys form has been like. Just asking as I havnt seen anyone mention the Suns inclusions.
They were rested ahead of this game, Swallow been good, Harbrow less so from what I've seen. I'm sure they'll try and go through Harbrow in particular a fair bit.

Should we be concerned about the inclusions of Swallow and Harbrow? I havnt seen a he wins play much this year so not sure what those guys form has been like. Just asking as I havnt seen anyone mention the Suns inclusions.

Swallow maybe.
Harbrow not so much. He runs around the back too get pretty easy kicks, and he doesn't exactly break the lines with any real speed.

Swallow maybe.
Harbrow not so much. He runs around the back too get pretty easy kicks, and he doesn't exactly break the lines with any real speed.
They were rested ahead of this game, Swallow been good, Harbrow less so from what I've seen. I'm sure they'll try and go through Harbrow in particular a fair bit.
C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

For the engine, Willo has the speed and endurance. So if it's a contested ball on the deck, I like Willo's chances. Backs himself and doesn't mind a "don't argue".

I don't like Willo in contested marking contests - Luko will smoke him with height, I feel.

If he can keep up with him he has the opportunity to make sure Luko doesn't get a clean run into the marking contest, if he can keep enough body on him to keep him off balance and be close enough to be able to move him as he jumps being 5cm shorter won't hurt to much - but it is easier said than done.

For me if we have a choice between a taller player who might not have the tank or Willo who doesn't have the height I would go with Willo everyday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Teague isn't going to completely change our structure or play players in positions they haven't been in all year just to combat one player.
We move Willo to a wing, a position he's not familiar with, then someone like Newnes/Cottrell/Walsh would have to play defence...

So what if Luko plays wing and he's tall? I doubt he'll actually play wing but if he does he'll be a novice at it. We'll back our guys and our system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back