Preview Rnd 13- Carlton v Gold Coast Saturday 13th June 7.25PM @ Metricon - Team post #296

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masqualero

Club Legend
Jul 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton V Gold Coast - Round 13

The eagerly anticipated match between Carlton and Gold Coast!

Last time we met

Carlton 12.10.82 v Gold Coast 17.6.108

The last time we played Gold Coast it was a disappointing result given that we were arguably in control of the first half but were unfortunately unable to capitalise on our opportunities.

Ultimately it was a dominant 3rd quarter by the Suns which saw them take a dominant lead, after which victory was all but stamped.

Where the game was lost

Ultimately, it was lost in the forward half of the ground with Gold Coasts ability to score through Lynch and Matera making the most of limited opportunities in the first half of the game as opposed to our poorer entries and shots on goal that cost us.

However as mentioned, in the 3rd quarter their midfield took complete control of the game, moving the ball with ease with little pressure from us.

How we can win

With improvement form our midfield group, we should not allow Gold Coast the free space we did in round 4.

If we are able to harass and play hard football we will be able to limit the quality and quantity of their forward entries, allowing our defensive set up to repossess the ball and convert that into attack.

The problem we will face are the same problem we have had all year, not scoring from inside 50s. We will need an even spread of goal scorers from our forwards but also mids, we don’t have an identified forward.

How we can lose

If we do not limit Tom Lynch this time we will most likely not win, with Rowe out for the season this looms as a key matchup, one would assume Jones will take this job who didn’t play last time.

Adam Saad killed us last time as he ran the ball out time and time again, perhaps this is a job for Sumner as he is proven to apply strong pressure in the forward half.

While Gary Ablett was not prolific last time we played he does loom as one who could turn this game on its head quicker than Gold Coast’s CEO saying O’meara is a required player.

Prediction

To be honest I’m having a hard time seeing us win this so I predict 5 beers, 3 smokes and a grown man crying.

GC by 22.

Last edited:

Hope we can back today's win up here. This will be a huge believer for our youngsters, if we can. The players finally look like they believe.
There is something we are building, of that there is not doubt. Can they make the supporters believe that we might be now as well. 20+ years made me hesitant but back this up and .....

I like the love for McKay. Given the injury to Asos today is it worth looking at that as a balanced in/out. Defence looked pretty good today and the beast would get lynch. Wanna see SPS back in. Sumner is the only one that stands out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be at metricon for this one...
Suns off a tough win against Hawks....
We have a mixed bag against the Suns,no speculation or no idea who might bounce back first??
Our injury list is ok.....and our list and confidence is improving.
I am hoping for a good game saturday night.

Im not a Thomas basher but wasn't particularly impressed with his game though he does serve the purpose of a mature mid who can run out games and provide some leadership.

Wouldn't mind simply SPS in for ASOS.

Also wouldn't mind to see Jaksch & Boek given a go, seeing as they've been in pretty good form and would give us one last chance to see if they're worth persisting with beyond this year...similar to the opportunity Jones, Lamb & Graham have been given (and earned).

How would McKay go against May?
Is that too much of a reach right now?

All being well with SPS, he is a must.
I'd also consider Boekhorst, but at the expense of who?

ASilvagni may miss, so that's one possible spot available.
May has been a goddamn brick wall for them when he's been on the park this year. Would slaughter Mckay in his first game I think, although Casboult is probably the guy he'd play on.

May has been a goddamn brick wall for them when he's been on the park this year. Would slaughter Mckay in his first game I think, although Casboult is probably the guy he'd play on.

193 cm May vs 203 cm McKay

Give McKay space to lead into, May would struggle.
McKay would have him for speed and reach, but that's not always the way the game plays out.

FB: Plowman - Jones - Marchbank
HB: Simpson - Weitering - Docherty

C: ECurnow - Cripps - Petrevski-Seton
OB: Kruezer - Gibbs - Murphy

HF: Thomas - McKay - CCurnow
FF: Wright - Casboult - Lamb

Interchange
Williamson, JSilvagni, Cuningham and Fisher

OUTS

Sumner (omitted) replaced by Petrevski-Seton
ASilvagni (injured) replaced by either McKay, Macreadie or even Jaksch.

Not sure if serious. .Fish gotta stay in ..
Fisher's performances have just been ok for weeks now, but my main issue with his game is his choice to corral the ball carrier rather than tackle/contest - he was even giving up when the ball was still to be won to do it today.

A few 20+ possession games in the seconds won't hurt his development over his current 8-12 output.

Boekhorst, Polson, Pickett, Smedts etc. - we have plenty of others no less worthy of an opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back