AFL Autopsy RND 13: Done by the Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m actually ok with that. We had our chances and didn’t take them which hurt, but the endeavour was definitely there.

First quarter was probably one of the best we’ve played all year… Which I’m not sure is saying much, but improvement.

I feel like I’m in purgatory watching it happen over and over.

Like I can feel my brain hurting watching the stupid s**t happen every rabbiting week, for 10 years.
I posted elsewhere that the hardest thing to stomach is the two longest serving higher ups (dodoro and Xavier Campbell) are essentially safe from any 'review' this flaky football club will pretend to do.

But other teams can work out how to kick a winning score when they have players out. We just toss out the same old garbage game in , game out.
Try something different Ridley up forward , Francis back, Laverde in the middle....something!
We just keep running ourselves into a brick wall.
We are well off the pace

I expect an extremely hard year but it slowly get better as we get 50-60 more games into this group

My worry is do we have the guts to make hard calls on some

Does anyone ACTUALLY watch Essendon game for wins? I've been done with this year the moment Geelong were leading by 10 goals at half time.
I watch for Perkins, Hobbs, Reid, Martin, Jones etc and there's a lot of talent there. This side isn't too far away, but list management need to nail this off-season.

I'll check back in once they recruit big-bodied mids like Brayshaw and/or Dunkley. I won't watch with investment until that happens.

Does anyone ACTUALLY watch Essendon game for wins? I've been done with this year the moment Geelong were leading by 10 goals at half time.
I watch for Perkins, Hobbs, Reid, Martin, Jones etc and there's a lot of talent there.

I'll check back in once they recruit big-bodied mids like Brayshaw and/or Dunkley. I won't watch with investment until that happens.
Cya in 2087 bro

Did both teams just shake hands at half time and declare that neither could be fkd making an effort from there on out?
I felt like our effort was there, but we were just really bad too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our ball movement makes us almost unwatchable. My Kayo subscription is on thin ice.
If we want to know how to successfully move the ball, we should watch how our opposition does it every single week.
Some would say we do watch how our opposition do it every single week.

Truly bizzare second half and in particular last quarter. Carlton dropped their bundle and we were as usual not good enough to capitalise and put significant scoreboard pressure on. Never in any real danger though, they just changed gears whenever we brought them down to our level. That's what better teams do. That passage of play middle of the last where we literally just stopped surging with a handball option over the top and faffed about before coughing it up was a circus, just about sums us up. Caught in two minds?

Still, good, structured first quarter. All about them green shoots I guess 😛 Perkins, Hobbs, Harry, Draper and co settling in, keep getting games into them among others. Great response from Shiel too. Just have to commit and look for the little wins, make some tough calls with the turnover and continue to expect some hurt. Not much more that can be done ATM. Worried how we run out of gas defensively and can't move the ball efficiently at times though, how much do you put that on a younger list...

To be fair, our season has been done for a while and this is the only game that had some meaning.

Not surprised that we lost but disappointed that the first quarter was an outlier.
Maybe its just me, but i think we have been competitive in many first quarters this year, it is after that break that we seem to fall down.

Similar to last week in that the opposition look a class above early only for the weather to turn it into a bit of a slog fest.

Its hard to watch us bumble around seemingly incapable of clean ball use and even 20 seconds of coherent gamestyle - but here we are. It looked like we were actually trying to replicate our first ever game - except we may have actually moved the ball better in 1871.

As bad as that pre game hoo haa came across on TV, it sent a tingle down my spine to see some of our club greats out there. So happy to see Jimmy out there, as well as many great players that once represented the Sash.

Lloyd, Lucas, the Danihers, Rama, Fletch, Long, Wanganeen, the Watson's!!! Needed more Madden tho.

It inspired me and I was hoping it would inspire the team as well. Alas, it appears that I am easily inspired.

Carlton look good this year, but not Premiership good IMO. A better team would have rolled them I think. We are not a better team tho.

They may beat us to 17 but we will soon catch up. They are not a dynasty side atm, although, give them time and they may become one.

Get your s**t together boys, we have talent, regardless of a few holes that need fixing. What we lack in certain areas is heart and desire.

Honestly, not that distraught. Ruined by umpiring and some ordinary play, but seeing some ok signs. Should have been much closer

Maybe. Ess get slaughtered game after game with the opposition transitioning from defence over and over again untouched, it’s embarrassing.

If the game was against a quality side they would’ve won by 10+ goals.

Rutten is fast approaching Knights MK II status.

It’s time to go the full youth path now.

Phillips absolutely killed us - as did Heppell and Cutler. There is absolutely no point in playing 30 year olds that aren’t any good, I cannot understand it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back