AFL Autopsy RND 13: Done by the Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m really wondering if the club is actually 150 years old? Or did the real Essendon that I grew up with (ie, heritage, pride, charisma and expectation of success) pass away around the 130 year mark and get replaced by a soulless insipid dumpster fire plastic frankenstein version for the last 20-odd years….?

Rutten is going to go close to getting sacked whether we like it or not. At best we’ll be 3-16. Tonight the players had no idea about about any way to consistently move the ball to worry the opposition, yet they cut it up with ease.

Rutten is going to go close to getting sacked whether we like it or not. At best we’ll be 3-16. Tonight the players had no idea about about any way to consistently move the ball to worry the opposition, yet they cut it up with ease.
The last 3 games will get cancelled?

As they say rebuild coach will rarely see the good times after the toil.
Rutten is the rebuild coach.
Was he expected to be the rebuild coach?

I am wondering if we have backed the wrong crew in merrett, parish and mcgrath.

Shiel, perkins, hobbs, martin, durham looked alright.
Laverde immense as an onfield competitor
agree about merrett and parish
question laverde

I’m actually ok with that. We had our chances and didn’t take them which hurt, but the endeavour was definitely there.

First quarter was probably one of the best we’ve played all year… Which I’m not sure is saying much, but improvement.
I hate this post because it is what essendon supporters are reduced to
the endeavour was there is an indictment of our pathetic football club
the endeavour should be a non negotiable
just like a doctor tries hard to treat patients and a paramedic tries hard every day to save lives
the club is on its knees because of incompetence, weak decision making and an apathetic playing group
showing endeavour is not something to be celebrated rather expected as a non negotiable

They will get found out. They could only manage 2 behinds from the 10 minute mark of the third quarter onwards, against a team that is horribly out of touch. It was a Worsfold era Essendon type win
The game was over
i dont give a rats toss bag about Carlton why are we a team without any structure or systems

I agree with this post
the Team plays amateur hour footy and he looked like a wiener on the boundary line who is clueless
if the Broadmeadows train line passengers were doing our review he would be moving from Macedon to Glenelg pretty fast

I hate this post because it is what essendon supporters are reduced to
the endeavour was there is an indictment of our pathetic football club
the endeavour should be a non negotiable
just like a doctor tries hard to treat patients and a paramedic tries hard every day to save lives
the club is on its knees because of incompetence, weak decision making and an apathetic playing group
showing endeavour is not something to be celebrated rather expected as a non negotiable
Spot on
Showing endeavor is just like bringing your gear; it's a necessity!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m really wondering if the club is actually 150 years old? Or did the real Essendon that I grew up with (ie, heritage, pride, charisma and expectation of success) pass away around the 130 year mark and get replaced by a soulless insipid dumpster fire plastic frankenstein version for the last 20-odd years….?
Sheeds stayed too long with no interest in a succession plan
dodoro has managed a list with no experience and credentials to do so
peter jackson made some horrible contract decisions in the early 2000s
we employed matthew knights rather than dimma
peptides
did not handle the hub and
lost Daniher, saad, fantasia and Mckenna in one hit
lost tippa who is really our only exciting player beside stringer when he is on
employed ben rutten without going through any formal interview process because essendon does not do governance even after peptide scandal
retain Campbell even though he has shown little evidence of being able to lead on field success
compare how Carlton treated Cain liddle to how essendon have treated Xavier Campbell
we are a mess with no strong leadership in any facet of our football club and have an internal review happening lead by a 75 year old man who was magnificent for our club 20 years ago but was a clear factor in our decline, a champion ruckman who hasn’t played in 30 years and is a school teacher with no real experience evaluating organisations and implementing and leading change and a bloke who hasn’t played in 15 years, was an ineffectual assistant coach who is a yes man on an underperforming board
we are an irrelevant football club who will not move with the times
until brasher, Campbell, dodoro and sheeds are gone we are going nowhere

Not too sure about "learnings" last night little looked like most of their games this year, small difference, mainly individual, but overall just a massive uninspired pile of poop.

The blue collars gone, they're now shirtless on the street corner yelling at cars.

I used to watch open Mike , one episode in particular was interesting. The Jacko barrage, while famous for many things had something that piqued my interest.

Mike asked him why he'd been sacked by 4 clubs...Jacko said something along the lines of you guys in the media live in fairy land, you think all the players hold hands and sing kum bi ya...it's nothing like that, when you are a bottom team struggling it's every man for them selves, you do what you need to do to keep a spot or a contract.

Last night BT mentioned we looked like a bunch of individuals playing , no synergy, no thought of bringing mates in better positions into play, no selfless play, no instinctive handball.

It's hard to argue, sure you could put it down to poor game plan and positioning but if you look through the other lens it's just a bunch of blokes playing their own little game of survival

As bad as that pre game hoo haa came across on TV, it sent a tingle down my spine to see some of our club greats out there. So happy to see Jimmy out there, as well as many great players that once represented the Sash.

Lloyd, Lucas, the Danihers, Rama, Fletch, Long, Wanganeen, the Watson's!!! Needed more Madden tho.

It inspired me and I was hoping it would inspire the team as well. Alas, it appears that I am easily inspired.

Carlton look good this year, but not Premiership good IMO. A better team would have rolled them I think. We are not a better team tho.

They may beat us to 17 but we will soon catch up. They are not a dynasty side atm, although, give them time and they may become one.

Get your s**t together boys, we have talent, regardless of a few holes that need fixing. What we lack in certain areas is heart and desire.
I loved the hoo haa but I did wonder what the old timers were thinking when Dyson was speaking to the group from within the circle. Lloydy didn't look convinced but Jim was a picture of concentration, as though he was about to play.

didn't we start this rebuild 15 years ago?
No. I thought you where smart enough to separate previous failed attempts but I guess I was wrong.
Sure we have been crap for 15 years but there has clearly been some defined eras.

Biggest indictment on Rutten was when Shiel had the ball, running towards F50.

HAD NO ONE TO KICK TO. Literally almost stopped, stagnatedly handball it sidewards and eventually turned it over.. Laughable really that this is a professional AFL club
Really ? If that is what the game plan is (which it is not) it would be an indictment on Blake Cararcella.

Blake Caracella - Assistant coach (midfield and attack)​

A bit of perspective; we were smashed in the stoppages last night and dudn't spread from them anywhere near as well as the Blues, and when you're chasing from a stoppage you're going to look like minced meat. So they also smash us in uncontested ball.

But we must have done something right between the arcs. They had 62 more disposals than us last night yet only went i50 8 more times than us. The pressure was there, just not dialled up as much as we'd like, but we should go back to those stoppage clearances that we lose week after week. We're a million bucks out of the centre and we're shite around the ground. From what I can tell, the big bodied mid (or 2) with the stamina to get around the ground is an absolute must. We would have looked a different side with Jobe Watson out there last night.

I loved the hoo haa but I did wonder what the old timers were thinking when Dyson was speaking to the group from within the circle. Lloydy didn't look convinced but Jim was a picture of concentration, as though he was about to play.
I liked the circle but then I found myself thinking “ this is going way too long”

There's lots of issues right now but geez I'd like to see us sort out a forward structure that looks like the foundation of the future.
Obviously Jones and Stringer are underdone right now but adding to that we have no legitimate small forwards. Menzie's is probably going to be an option pretty soon honestly if he's remotely close to the level.

We also need to demonstrate we are building towards a game plan that is structurally solid defensively whilst allowing us to attack effectively as well. Right now we can't seem to get both pieces working in a remotely convincing fashion. Makes you wonder what they trained all preseason. I'm sick of watching us rarely getting good forward 50 entries - no wonder our goal kicking accuracy is so bad the way we move the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back