Preview Rnd 14 - Carlton v Collingwood Sunday 30th August 3.35PM @ Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

First time in a long time where I don’t care about the changes... who’s in who’s out. One soldier replaces another.. that’s where this group should be at now.
so you're saying.............we've reached critical depth?

Cottrell stays IMO. Still ended up with 12 possessions, and set the tone with some manic attacks at the ball. Turned it over a couple of times attempting the right play but not executing, but there weren’t any major issues otherwise.

He’s going to need to make those kind of errors to understand his limitations, but I think he’s built on his last couple of weeks with some more attacking play.

I’m actually struggling to find any meaningful changes. Our current mix, pending McGovern’s fitness, is pretty decent.

Kennedy timing on that corkie horrible. He has no hope of playing next week unless an injury.

Didn’t feel to me like Cottrell ran quite as hard tonight. Kicking not good again. But press on. That backline pace problem was exposed 3 times again. Christ they wouldn’t have scored if we played Polson. GWS he’s in. Not this week.
DE 42% for Cottrell tonight. Improving.

Would like to see some tackles though - pace on the wing not conducive to a lot of tackle work though and he was the beneficiary of some good inside work around the stoppage tonight and contested work.

still like very much.

Not worried about the short breaks between games.
GWS get 1 extra day break.

Swans and Crows get same breaks as us.

Keep picking best team.

Exactly, have little fear at all with tight schedule coming up. Though GWS get one extra day, they come to QLD from Perth, we are already there playing the match before.

Grundy v.s. TDK

This is going to be the contest of the day for me.

Want to see TDK measured against the best. What a treat this will be!
You have already, 2 weeks ago against the Eagles, and he did fine. :)

Grundy's hardly been "the best" this season. But I agree, it's another TDK match-up that we all want to see.

Time to start rotating a bit.

No. Not yet.

We have a 9 day break now before the Collingwood game.

There’s simply no reason to rest anyone for this match. We have to put our best side out there for this one.

OUT: Pittonet
IN: Dow

EMG:
Moore, Cuningham, O'Brien, Polson

We need more speed coming out of the stoppage or elite pace on the outside, or we're going to get pantsed. Dow brings the former, while Pittonet is liable to get utterly exploited by Grundy. Moore is listed for versatility's sake.

In terms of potential rotations (though this will probably come into effect after this match), I've got a few categories:

Fatiguing: Murphy, Docherty
Already being managed: Gibbons, Simpson, Betts, SPS
Soon to be fatiguing: Plowman
Inexperienced: Cottrell

I think SPS and Cottrell might be first to be spelled if tonight's form line continues, followed by Docherty, Simpson and Betts. The goal has to be to control the talent drain from the side intelligently, so that some mids can spend majority minutes at either end in a couple of games in this run of four.

Outside of the above names, I think Marchbank comes into the picture as an option to cover anyone of Simpson, Docherty and Plowman, subject to match ups.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

no changes.

few comments:
1. cottrell made a few errors but he also did a few good things (tackling and burtsing away with ball and passing down long).
2. rdk can mark, is athletic for his size and goes in. he shpuld remain in side from here on. are we then too tall? if so who goes out? im not sure but maybe pit?
3. sps doesnt look to be doing much down back. laid a few good tackles but in general play looks a bit lost. its hard to work out what the clubs/coaches plan is for sps.

Against Grundy not convinced we need to play Pittonet and TDK.

Would be fine with Pittonet coming out and Would like to see Polson come in. Moving into the backline and freeing up SPS.

SPS did have a knock to the shoulder also but played out the game. So could need a rest anyway?

Summary something has to change with SPS either needs to be dropped or moved. Just looks lost when he has to defend. Problem being he is playing in defence.....

Cottrell for Cunningham is a no brainer

Two part

I don't want Cuners coming back as a forward, just doesn't have the smarts, of knowing where to be on a consistent basis

As an onballer/run with player where he can use his strengths after being lead to the footy, yes, but doesn't have the tank of a Cottrell

At this stage, I see him being used as part of the rotations when we start to rest players after the Pies game

I’m not convinced Cottrell belongs just yet. He’s had a taste, time to get back and work on things. Nothing wrong with that either.

Nothing wrong with improving. For me, if he’s in the team, keeping his spot and ahead of 4 others tells me that this kid can play.

Two part

I don't want Cuners coming back as a forward, just doesn't have the smarts, of knowing where to be on a consistent basis

As an onballer/run with player where he can use his strengths after being lead to the footy, yes, but doesn't have the tank of a Cottrell

At this stage, I see him being used as part of the rotations when we start to rest players after the Pies game

I like what Cottrell has brought to the team and think he will be handy going forward but we are past the days of picking players because they just work hard and have a tank.

Disposal was really bad tonight and has hurt us at times previously. No doubt he will improve this area and be back but we have better players available.

would love to get fisher up the ground now he has been back a couple weeks and has looked very clean.

so u reckon hes been having an impact down back. Cos from what ive seen recently he has not
I do he looks for an option rarely blind kicks it clean rarely fumbles
Reliable kicks are underrated the most important skill for a footballer
Players lead with confidence when the kicker is reliable

Remove this Banner Ad

Back