Preview Rnd 14 - Carlton v Collingwood Sunday 30th August 3.35PM @ Gabba

Sharks On A Plane

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 12, 2006
Y6le
AFL Club
Carlton
Hope we have this game wrapped at 3 quarter time ish, cause I will be switching my Telly over to the A League for City's (the Pride of Melbourne) first Grand Final appearance.

I know this is the Baggers biggest home and away game in years, in terms of what's at stake, but a grand final, especially a fledgling club's first one, is something i cannot pass up.

I suppose I can atill watch bits the final quarter of this on my phone though, The Kayo and Mobile Apps have been a real game changer, you can now actually watch Carlton whilst on the can if you have to go (not that I have ever done it :) )

Feeling a bit more confident now about our chances, I don't expect we will belt them, but probably be a fairly comfortable 4-5 goal win.
Nobody cares

Michael Jezz

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2007
collingwood
AFL Club
Carlton
Michael what ever happens in this game is not an indication of where this group is heading

You picked the dogs to spank us, so please don't say you don't bet against us

Suns have won 3 in a row, are they a better side than us?

Please stop with your meaningless kpi's, no football club uses that as an indicator, NONE
The essence of Arrows lack of logic is contained in the statement "whatever happens in this game is not an indication of where we are heading".

That is a losing mentality right there- a complete denial of living in the present where winning today is what matters. Could you imaginr any AFL coach saying that to the players.

That statement embodies why we have been perenial losers for 20 years.

Today's game I hope will be a massive step in shutting the door on the mindset embodied by Arrows statement

Sep 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Rumor that Cripps is out
tenor-4.gif

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Paddy Dow’s big chance today, has done the hard work so hopefully grabs it.. Not sure about this backline role though. has a bit of a Nick Graham feel about it, where we kept trying to turn him into something he is not... but in Teague I trust..

ok got it.... cripps isnt that important..
There's a large portion of middle ground between
"No chance without him" to "He isn't important"

does it weaken our midfield? Yes
Does it guarantee a loss? No

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
ok got it.... cripps isnt that important..

That's not what I meant, and you know it. But clearly we are not as reliant on Cripps as we once were, and have got Ed Curnow, Martin, Walsh who have all been significant contributors this season , and I would argue have all put together individually better seasons than Crippa thus far.

Pies are no worldbeaters right now either and Sidebottom is a significant loss for them as well.

Paddy Dow’s big chance today, has done the hard work so hopefully grabs it.. Not sure about this backline role though. has a bit of a Nick Graham feel about it, where we kept trying to turn him into something he is not... but in Teague I trust..

Dow or Polson?

90N90S

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Cripps was carrying a shoulder last week, in fact I think he has been carrying something most of the year.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Need a fact checker.

When was the last time Collingwood was up in the Head to Head vs us?
Just did quick internet search.
Surprisingly just before 1981 grand final.....

Channel Seven’s live telecast of the 1981 VFL Grand Final. Prior to the opening bounce, just after Jon English belted out a rousing rendition of ‘Waltzing Matilda’ and thousands of balloons were released into the great grey sky, Peter Landy ran through the head-to-head statistics of the two participating clubs:

Game Played: 181

Collingwood wins: 89

Carlton wins: 88

Drawn games: 4

Collingwood Premierships: 13

Carlton Premierships: 12

At the time, these numbers seemed of the utmost importance. They were quite possibly the most important stats in the universe. It’s well known that the Pies surrendered a 21-point lead late in the third term and capitulated in the final 35 minutes, allowing the Blues to run out victorious by 20 points, and thus square the ledger in terms of both games won between the two teams and overall premierships.

found it on pies website...lol

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
The essence of Arrows lack of logic is contained in the statement "whatever happens in this game is not an indication of where we are heading".

That is a losing mentality right there- a complete denial of living in the present where winning today is what matters. Could you imaginr any AFL coach saying that to the players.

Today's game I hope will be a massive step in shutting the door on the mindset embodied by Arrows statement

We aren't coaches here Michael and that view is one of reality

What else would a coach say at the start of the year when being interviewed by the media

"So David do you see yourself as a top 8 side"

"No, we think we will finish outside the 8, probably 9th"

Have you heard Teague's words?

"Control what we can control and play our way"

No mention of 3 in a row Michael, NONE

I don't see how our whole system and development hinges on the one game....and that's logical.
It wasn't put forward by the club but an individual on a club forum....big difference.

Also..and whether we like it or not, we're likely to lose games before the end of the year.
Let's get the scales out at seasons end and not upon every game.

Own The Future

Club Legend
Nov 8, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Arrow is right. Don’t play chaos footy. Don’t over press. Don’t press too hard. Play plenty of temp footy.
I think their back line is a bunch of panic merchants. Moore, Roughead, Magden.
Our forwards need to work hard to expose that. And we win.

Couldn’t agree more.
I am sick of seeing us apply above elite level pressure for a quarter or two, then completely stopping to a walk for the rest of the game. The Hawthorn game is the prime example of this, but we have done it in others as well.
I don’t mean we should shirk contests or go half speed, but there is total sense in leaving a bit in the tank to see out the game while still applying pressure with smart systems and coverage rather than manic running and hustling.
In a perfect world we’d be fit enough to apply that level over a shortened game, but the proof is there that as of now we cannot. Need to learn from that and adjust.

Back