AFL Toast Rnd 14: Clipped the Hawkes wings

Remove this Banner Ad

Good run from umps in last quarter helped us along just nicely. First time for everything.

20 years of hard-fought marketing, development and effort in Tasmania from the Hawthorn Football Club all to be well outnumbered by their own locals in their own backyard in a Round 14 game.

you do realise that an Essendon Tasmania supporter has one opportunity in 30 years to see his/her team play in there home state ....every one of them would have made the effort to attend ....for the hawks tassie fans just another game

Being above Collingwood, Hawthorn, Carlton AND North on the ladder is simply *chefs kiss

you do realise that an Essendon Tasmania supporter has one opportunity in 30 years to see his/her team play in there home state ....every one of them would have made the effort to attend ....for the hawks tassie fans just another game
So you're saying Tassie Hawkes fans are bandwagoners, just like mainland Hawkes fans?

If we kicked one more goal in round 1 they'd be 2-11 and 2 points off last.
and we'd be % out of the 8.
so annoying.

comfort yourself that the hawks list is so garbage there isn't a single FA worth picking off that could net them a top 3 compo pick.
tbh, if their entire list were FA eligible, who would you pay that cash to?

and we'd be % out of the 8.
so annoying.

comfort yourself that the hawks list is so garbage there isn't a single FA worth picking off that could net them a top 3 compo pick.
tbh, if their entire list were FA eligible, who would you pay that cash to?
Kossie and Jiath both seem pretty legit. I'm not sure they're legit enough to justify tier 1 compo though

How often do Tassie Hawks supporters get to see them play a live game against an arch rival?

What a nonsense post to feel a need to put on here. If they are true supporters this is one game you’d be right up for. I know if I were living there I’d much prefer seeing my team play a Vic rival than an interstate team like Freo or Port.

‘Fair weather’ is a fair term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I liked most about the win was that many of the usual modes of damaging an opponent this year were off.

Hooker hardly had a touch, Laverde probably played his worst game for the year, Parish quietish, Tippa quiet, BZT played in place of Francis, Wright struggled for gas (and barely rucked as a result despite Draper needing the rest), Perkins and Cox were also well down on their output and Merrett was quite poor.

Up stepped Jones, Hind (to another level), Draper and Stringer played a game that maybe 4 other players in the league are capable of.

Interesting thing to know would be the extent to which the system was exposed/came unstuck due to a lack of experience or the Hawks planning.

It seemed like, for example, the Hawks forwards held position away from each other quite well and we didn't have the usual glut of defenders in place to intercept, etc.

They also forced us down the line but we seemed to pull down a lot of marks that negated the application of that tactic against us.

I struggle to read Hawthorn. They fall down largely in the middle which, as far as I can tell, is supposed to be the most stable part of the ground.

That was sorted last week and I think they're now a much better side than their position on the ladder reflects. I wonder how badly they'll want to prove it. Thrown in a midfield jet taken this year, bring in Sicily, DGB, Downie and maybe McGuinness. I think by 2023 Kosi and Lewis can be a very effective key forward pairing and that things will likely turn as quickly as Kennett believes.

That puts them back in the free agency market and then anything can happen.

I'd still much rather be in our position.

The salt on and the Horeforn board is real. 😂

- Stringer apparently getting injured next week? (all class)
- Our kids are rubbish. (After one down game for the year)
- Perkins is "no where near being a player"
- Upset we had a better crowd turnout at their own home game

To be honest it was probably one of our worst performances of the year, and we still beat them. Imagine Shiel, Mcgrath, Hurley, Francis, Caldwell & Snelling were available.

Keep sooking Horforne 😂

The salt on and the Horeforn board is real. 😂

- Stringer apparently getting injured next week? (all class)
- Our kids are rubbish. (After one down game for the year)
- Perkins is "no where near being a player"
- Upset we had a better crowd turnout at their own home game

To be honest it was probably one of our worst performances of the year, and we still beat them. Imagine Shiel, Mcgrath, Hurley, Francis, Caldwell & Snelling were available.

Keep sooking Horforne 😂
And Merrett & Parish played to their normal level, Cox & Perkins weren't so absent, Hooker had his hands, Laverde has his spoiling game on.

We were well off our normal pace today. Normal post-bye sluggishness i'm hoping.
Dees game could be one hell of a touch up. that said, Hooker will engage May & Jones is gonna give Lever something to think about.

Drapes v Maxy is gonna be fun to watch.
Dees don't tag. So Merrett, Parish & Langford v Tracc, Oliver & Gus will be a good watch

Got a feeling we'll be competitive. Though a loss won't bother me. Really want to see the Dees secure a flag this year.

Really! You really believe Tassie Hawk supporters wouldn’t love to see them beat the Bombers?? Just goes to show how shallow your support is!!
If The Bombers played next week, same ground against the Suns, Giants, Nth = sell out. If we played the same sides at Oodnadatta Sports ground, sell out. We are Essendon, we’re one of the the biggest Australian wide supported clubs if not the biggest. Just saying!!

How much salt is in this comment?

If it's a game of footy and your team is playing - you go.

Rival, looking to build on a year - beat them last time... nah. I'll stay home.

What I liked most about the win was that many of the usual modes of damaging an opponent this year were off.

Hooker hardly had a touch, Laverde probably played his worst game for the year, Parish quietish, Tippa quiet, BZT played in place of Francis, Wright struggled for gas (and barely rucked as a result despite Draper needing the rest), Perkins and Cox were also well down on their output and Merrett was quite poor.

Up stepped Jones, Hind (to another level), Draper and Stringer played a game that maybe 4 other players in the league are capable of.

Interesting thing to know would be the extent to which the system was exposed/came unstuck due to a lack of experience or the Hawks planning.

It seemed like, for example, the Hawks forwards held position away from each other quite well and we didn't have the usual glut of defenders in place to intercept, etc.

They also forced us down the line but we seemed to pull down a lot of marks that negated the application of that tactic against us.

I struggle to read Hawthorn. They fall down largely in the middle which, as far as I can tell, is supposed to be the most stable part of the ground.

That was sorted last week and I think they're now a much better side than their position on the ladder reflects. I wonder how badly they'll want to prove it. Thrown in a midfield jet taken this year, bring in Sicily, DGB, Downie and maybe McGuinness. I think by 2023 Kosi and Lewis can be a very effective key forward pairing and that things will likely turn as quickly as Kennett believes.

That puts them back in the free agency market and then anything can happen.

I'd still much rather be in our position.

I think their midfield suffers from the same thing ours can on occasion, they’re not particularly big or particularly quick with no real point of difference. Stringer was the POD today that cracked them and they just could not answer.

Favourite part of the game was 11 game Draper dictating terms to the extent that Clarko needed to game plan for him after quarter time. Closely followed by Draper turning himself into a wall to lay a block for Merrett and Draper streaming out of the middle and deciding against going for glory to stop the stadium from exploding.

I am not sure about in the south but generally I think Essendon have more support in Northern Tasmania than Hawthorn. Maybe not among the under 25s but certainly for every one else. Hawthorn have converted young people at highish rates so that may change eventually.

Regardless, I think the sponsorship thing with Hawthorn and North Melbourne is nearly done anyhow. There’s just not enough Hawthorn supporters to go around from a small population and neutrals don’t bother anymore. The situation is worse in Hobart because who in Tasmania supports North Melbourne? Even people in North Melbourne don’t bother with North.

Maybe there’s scope for North to play Essendon in Hobart in the immediate future. I doubt we will see us play Hawthorn here again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back