Preview RND 15 - Carlton vs Adelaide (Crom) - Sunday June 27th 4:10pm (EST) @ Marvel Stadium - Team - Post #762

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 6, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Timberwolves
1624083598202.png

Recent Encounters

2020, Round 17, Metricon Stadium: Carl: 8.8.56 def by Crows 10.12.72
2019, Round 19, MCG : Carl: 13.9.87 def Crows 9.6.60

When we look back at the end of the 2015 season we knew we were in a long long painful rebuilding ride, and now we look into 2021 and we are still on this painful ride that we can never get off. 2021 filled with false promise from our Board and our Captains declaring that a top 8 finish is their goal in which will be our first final appearance since 2013. Well, that doesn't look so good.

1624084517714.png

With 2021 season looking pretty dark, there is always a hope on the other end. McKay resigning with us for another 2 years and leading the Coleman (Thankgod), Sam Walsh become an elite 2-way midfielder (Thankgod), Weitering being a solid down-back and getting better and better each week (Thankgod). 3 AA at our club this year? Yes please.

Alas we must carry on and settle down each week on our couches and experience a stressful ride of negative emotions.

Key Match-ups
Rory Laird vs Ed Curnow

Pretty simple, kill their supply.

1624085253707.png

Defense:
Jacob Weitering vs Taylor Walker

Playing some unreal footy, don't underestimate how the fake "Texan" has been good this year.

Forward:
Harry McKay vs Jordan Butts

McKay should be taking the Butts to the cleaners

Overall Assessment
I anticipate this be a close contest and somehow we blow a 3 goal lead and lose by 4 goals in the last quarter based on our form-line.

1624084992178.png

Ins - Happiness
Outs - Sadness

OUT:
Parks
- injured/outclassed
Newman - high risk/low reward attacking defender, sick of it
Pittonet - not doing anything at a senior AFL standard as either a ruck or a tall, let TDK take over and give another tall a shot
Martin - form/fitness not great, system/selections not helping
Newnes - sub, both in the football and colloquial sense

IN:
Plowman
- obvious
Murphy/Ramsay - leaning towards Murphy; both offer great foot skills, and can rotate through a variety of midfield roles (centre/rover/wing/high half-forward)
Casboult - he was fantastic in the VFL, and deserves the recall
Honey - Fisher can move into the role Martin was trying to play, and Honey can bring some scoring spark, as well as fresh legs in a dogged-looking forward unit

FB: Docherty Jones Plowman
HB: Williams Weitering Saad
C: Walsh Dow Fisher
HF: JSOS Casboult Honey
FF: Owies McKay Betts

R: TDK Cripps E.Curnow

Int: Stocker, Fogarty, Kennedy, Murphy

EMG:
Pittonet, Ramsay, Williamson, SPS

Why not:
O'Brien
- form this week, but should have been recalled at least a month ago, despite how poorly his team mates use his run; dangerously close to checking out
Carroll - as a first year player coming off the bye, needs to back up that performance to prove he has the tank for senior level football
Williamson - see O'Brien, though not mentally checked out yet
SPS - some promising signs and looked more comfortable in a midfield role, but needs to start showing more flashes of athleticism; continue training program
Kemp - not ready, but also not presenting as an option for any poor performing positions; perhaps shifts Williams to the wing?

What else differently:
Stocker
- stoppages; if Kennedy can be allowed to do that, let ******* Stocker do it instead
Walsh - obvious choice as defensive wing at bounces/defensive transition; can still provide receive option at centre bounce, and previous role at general stoppages
Docherty - was better at times this week, but need him rotating between last line and attacking from HB, same as Williams & Saad

If it were up to me, I'd drop Kennedy too, because I could clearly see (and the stats seem to support this) that the rest of the forward unit was made to do extra work to apply the same standard of pressure the opposition, and their performance suffered for it. I could clearly see that the midfield unit had to run more defensively and spread more from the stoppage, and suffered for it.

And it's not just due to his inability to pressure at an AFL standard across the course of a game, but because of how he chooses to sag off to provide an option in some midfield and transition scenarios.

Absolutely staggered that a player can have 9 inside 50s without a single goal assist or score. 18% of our forward entries went through a bloke who is arguably bottom five out of players in the match when it comes to skill by foot... he rolls the dice and it doesn't pay off enough even when he gets the football!

Imagine if we'd just pushed harder to acquiring Hopper... or Finlayson... or both. We are such a ******* joke.

Last edited:
OUT:
Parks
- injured/outclassed
Newman - high risk/low reward attacking defender, sick of it
Pittonet - not doing anything at a senior AFL standard as either a ruck or a tall, let TDK take over and give another tall a shot
Martin - form/fitness not great, system/selections not helping
Newnes - sub, both in the football and colloquial sense

IN:
Plowman
- obvious
Murphy/Ramsay - leaning towards Murphy; both offer great foot skills, and can rotate through a variety of midfield roles (centre/rover/wing/high half-forward)
Casboult - he was fantastic in the VFL, and deserves the recall
Honey - Fisher can move into the role Martin was trying to play, and Honey can bring some scoring spark, as well as fresh legs in a dogged-looking forward unit

FB: Docherty Jones Plowman
HB: Williams Weitering Saad
C: Walsh Dow Fisher
HF: JSOS Casboult Honey
FF: Owies McKay Betts

R: TDK Cripps E.Curnow

Int: Stocker, Fogarty, Kennedy, Murphy

EMG:
Pittonet, Ramsay, Williamson, SPS

Why not:
O'Brien
- form this week, but should have been recalled at least a month ago, despite how poorly his team mates use his run; dangerously close to checking out
Carroll - as a first year player coming off the bye, needs to back up that performance to prove he has the tank for senior level football
Williamson - see O'Brien, though not mentally checked out yet
SPS - some promising signs and looked more comfortable in a midfield role, but needs to start showing more flashes of athleticism; continue training program
Kemp - not ready, but also not presenting as an option for any poor performing positions; perhaps shifts Williams to the wing?

What else differently:
Stocker
- stoppages; if Kennedy can be allowed to do that, let ******* Stocker do it instead
Walsh - obvious choice as defensive wing at bounces/defensive transition; can still provide receive option at centre bounce, and previous role at general stoppages
Docherty - was better at times this week, but need him rotating between last line and attacking from HB, same as Williams & Saad

If it were up to me, I'd drop Kennedy too, because I could clearly see (and the stats seem to support this) that the rest of the forward unit was made to do extra work to apply the same standard of pressure the opposition, and their performance suffered for it. I could clearly see that the midfield unit had to run more defensively and spread more from the stoppage, and suffered for it.

And it's not just due to his inability to pressure at an AFL standard across the course of a game, but because of how he chooses to sag off to provide an option in some midfield and transition scenarios.

Absolutely staggered that a player can have 9 inside 50s without a single goal assist or score. 18% of our forward entries went through a bloke who is arguably bottom five out of players in the match when it comes to skill by foot... he rolls the dice and it doesn't pay off enough even when he gets the football!

Imagine if we'd just pushed harder to acquiring Hopper... or Finlayson... or both. We are such a ******* joke.
"Imagine if we'd just pushed harder to acquiring Hopper... or Finlayson... or both. We are such a ******* joke."
This.
We target second tier players (on first tier money) for positions that we don't really need.
Instead of targeting real stars.
If we would make an effort for real champions instead of second rate rookie draft players we might play like a proper team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Imagine if we'd just pushed harder to acquiring Hopper... or Finlayson... or both. We are such a ******* joke."
This.
We target second tier players (on first tier money) for positions that we don't really need.
Instead of targeting real stars.
If we would make an effort for real champions instead of second rate rookie draft players we might play like a proper team.
This was at the end of 2017, when we traded for Kennedy after being denied Hopper for pick 28 (and presumably a little extra).

In: Who cares?!
Outs: Everyone, including the coaches.

Adelaide to get an easy win, just apply a little pressure and watch Carlton fold like tissue paper.
Honestly, who gives a s**t anymore. The team clearly don't.

I missed the VFL game but I see the best listed as Casboult, Crocker, Murphy, SPS, North and Carroll.

so I’d probably back in Cas for Pitto and let TDK do most of the ruck work. Not too fussed though
plow is right to go isn’t he? Plow for Parks.

that’s all I’d do but I also wouldn’t be against any statement calls after that effort but it was extremely hard to pick out individuals from just watching on TV.

Out: Walsh

send him to a good club before we ruin him

in: another spirit crushing loss

Last edited:
Pitto gives us Zippo, even when Levi was vanilla in 1’s always thought best structure was to have TDK first ruck, Levi useful 2nd ruck who can at least play forward to some reasonable degree. Make this happen, BIG selection statements need to be made this week.

As for the rest, just hope Honey gets a run and, as Jimmae suggested, drop Martin and let Fish do his role.

Hope Plow is ready as obviously he takes injured Parks spot. If Murph does come back just as a midfielder please, so Curnow could be in trouble as we must persist with Dow.

Ins - Levi, Plow, Honey, Murphy
Outs - Pitto, Martin, Curnow, Parks (inj)

Last edited:
Pitto and TDK don't seem to be working together well. Got toweled up by a second gamer and a second rate Flynn. Pitto took a few good marks but got smashed defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back