Preview RND 15 - Carlton vs Adelaide (Crom) - Sunday June 27th 4:10pm (EST) @ Marvel Stadium - Team - Post #762

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe but we owe him to get to 300 games giving his years of service, 2 B and F's an All Australian spot and of course loyalty.

I admit Murph has not had a great 18 months, but deserves far better than the constant crap dished at him here and on social media.

I Will be at the A League Grand Final, unable to watch the game live, but would love it if Murph stuck it up his haters tomorrow.

We don’t owe him anything.

He is playing poorly due to a combination of general decline and not having the athletic traits or proclivity to play the role we need him to. It’s not entirely his fault, but that is the nature of professional sports and when the end comes it often comes quickly.

I’m loathe to give him games on the basis of his form and our present, pressing need to prioritise younger players. Selecting him hasn’t worked in the first half of the year - what is different about this week?

He also had plenty of opportunity to move to a better performed club on a lower salary, but chose not to. In those instances it’s hard to reconcile loyalty with being well paid, and on the basis of his past few seasons we haven’t got much of a return on investment either. Not only has his performance been mediocre, as an older statesman and as a former captain his leadership has been sorely lacking.

Wouldn’t call myself a ‘hater’ in any case either. He was my favourite player from his first season until Cripps first full season. I loved his gut running and nous when he was in his prime, but the game has passed him, and I’d rather we look to other players at this point. Nothing I saw of his performance in the reserves last week leads me to believe he should be up for re-selection.

Certainly has that feel to it...

Teague is desperate for them to show something.
Overruled or not, what makes me so curious is why Plow, having missed just 3 games, 2 via suspension, needed a “conditioning block” in the first place? I’m obviously missing something here.

Last edited:

Overruled or not, what makes me so curious is why Plow, having missed just 3 games, 2 via suspension, needed a “conditioning block” in the first place? I’m obviously missing something here.
Well he was out injured for most of that time. So I figured that was why Russell wanted him to do some work before playing again. But that’s just an assumption

Watch the entire situation unfold for better context:

I'm going to write this one more time: he has stability issues in his ankles/feet. It's not a scenario of binary logic: sometimes it will slide, sometimes it won't, sometimes it will slide in a different way. Between that and shoulder issues, efforts like this will happen.

He's at an age where the list management team weighs up these decisions when signing him on. This is the same logic that sees us get guys like Goddard and Newman, but I don't agree with the modelling that pushes us that far in that direction.

Jim, that's a fictious assessment, that lacks true integrity. While I agree his body is deteriorating, that doesn't mean anyone should be accepting of his lack of commitment.

Given he won't be offered a new contract next year, at this stage of the season he shouldn't be in the side

Last edited:
Maybe but we owe him to get to 300 games giving his years of service, 2 B and F's an All Australian spot and of course loyalty.

I admit Murph has not had a great 18 months, but deserves far better than the constant crap dished at him here and on social media.

I Will be at the A League Grand Final, unable to watch the game live, but would love it if Murph stuck it up his haters tomorrow.

He doesn't deserve the hate comments, but all he deserves is integrity of selection, like all player.

Based on that, a 300 game scenario shouldn't be a consideration

Lower body injuries hamper players from maintaining appropriate levels of conditioning, 1 week might be fine, a month is different

Watch the entire situation unfold for better context:

I'm going to write this one more time: he has stability issues in his ankles/feet. It's not a scenario of binary logic: sometimes it will slide, sometimes it won't, sometimes it will slide in a different way. Between that and shoulder issues, efforts like this will happen.

He's at an age where the list management team weighs up these decisions when signing him on. This is the same logic that sees us get guys like Goddard and Newman, but I don't agree with the modelling that pushes us that far in that direction.

Your first paragraph there jim was a fantastic case for retirement effective immediately .

Its a professional sport if your not capable of executing your skills both offensively and i think Murph is clearly waning here as you pointed out .
And in particular defensively with Murph where in a side that is already poor defensively Murph is a passenger then you should move on or be moved on .

The fact that he earned a recall given the current malaise in terms of defensive output of the side indicates its not hard to work out why we are in said malaise .

Nice spin though ever tried getting a job in the clubs media department 😉

Last edited:
I can’t believe we aren’t using Murph as the sub. Gets him to 300, doesn’t take 120 minutes off a kid and he is still good enough to make an impact on a game if he is required off the bench.

I love Murph as much as anyone but persisting with him in the 22 is cruel. With Honey performing as he is in the 2s and SPS withering away in defence . . . I don’t understand it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club does not owe any player a game.

If anything we owed it to him to retire him like we did to Simpson and Thomas to not let it get to this situation.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

I can’t believe we aren’t using Murph as the sub. Gets him to 300, doesn’t take 120 minutes off a kid and he is still good enough to make an impact on a game if he is required off the bench.

I love Murph as much as anyone but persisting with him in the 22 is cruel. With Honey performing as he is in the 2s and SPS withering away in defence . . . I don’t understand it.

It would be a stronger argument if we hadn't also picked Newnes and a completely unfit Martin. Honey should be in, our lack of selection integrity all year has been appalling and would be a significant factor in us requiring an external review, but Murphy isn't our worst pick this week.

The club does not owe any player a game.

If anything we owed it to him to retire him like we did to Simpson and Thomas to not let it get to this situation.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
Exactly, no player is owed anything. Boggles the mind people think like that.

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

It's true, Murphy is a defensive liability, won't even bend over to pick up the ball in traffic, so he kicks it of the ground or if he does try and collect it and misses, he keeps running away from the contest
Considering what Teague pointed out in his press conference after last weeks loss he and selectors continue to send mixed messages...do they seriously think selecting Murphy will increase our tackle, contested possession and chase numbers?!

Everyone of our players appears to need a conditioning block. What did we do preseason?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Many seem to forget there was an extended break for all teams after the Hibbing during the season. This contributes dramatically to the poor condition some players presented in. We had a player “stranded” north of the border in a the early part of pre season too. Rumoured to be Williams. With a young, developing list this has contributed to the “perfect storm” which has stymied much of our “natural” development.

Surely the likes of Williams, Martin and McGovern have been give enough of a bullet by the media, supporters and internally to give us a kick start to 2022.

Many seem to forget there was an extended break for all teams after the Hibbing during the season. This contributes dramatically to the poor condition some players presented in. We had a player “stranded” north of the border in a the early part of pre season too. Rumoured to be Williams. With a young, developing list this has contributed to the “perfect storm” which has stymied much of our “natural” development.

Surely the likes of Williams, Martin and McGovern have been give enough of a bullet by the media, supporters and internally to give us a kick start to 2022.

The old 'everyone had covid issues and it's effected us more than any other team....'

Makes me laugh....

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Pretty sure running, weights etc weren’t banned “north of the border”. No excuses for a highly paid senior player to turn up in such poor condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back