Preview RND 15 - Carlton vs Adelaide (Crom) - Sunday June 27th 4:10pm (EST) @ Marvel Stadium - Team - Post #762

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely the question here is...how has the most highly revered trainer in the AFL come to this at our club? Was this hapening at the Hawks? Obviously not or we would not have sought him out.
It probably has a bit to do with it but surely part of being a high performance manager is motivating all kinds of players.

Clearly our culture is s**t too, so no doubt it plays a part.

The question is, was he made to look good by a leadership group that included two of the most competitive players of all time and drove high standards?

I think Adelaide are just a better team than us. More competitive better coached. They toyed with us for the most part last year. Those expecting us to win comfortably might be in for a rude shock.
I don't know if they're outright better. Talent for talent I think we probably pip them.

They just play honest hard footy. They apply lots of pressure and play for eachother and their leaders set that example. When they need it you can just about guarantee Doedee will take a brave intercept or Sloane will scrap for his life in the contest and get the ball out or Walker will set someone up inside 50. Can't say the same with our leaders.

Watch the game and see how excited Walker gets when Thilthorpe takes a contested mark or McAdam kicks a goal. He cares more about their success than anything he does. Sloane is exactly the same, he's always one of the first to jump into a team mate to celebrate.

You don't see anything wrong with running through a bloke and clipping his jaw with your shoulder?

Loved the intent from Levi, but he had to get low.
Your right needed to get lower the consequence of being tall .
Did the oppo player receive a free kick ?
Was concussion protocols done on the player ?
Did he play out the game without duress ?
Was it regarded as low impact ?
All questions we need to know .
If it was deemed low impact a free was paid and he didnt have a concussion test done then there is plenty of reason to say its incidental and just a fine .
There are many many cases these days that one would think should be deemed as a spell but are deemed low impact nothing to see here .

Aaaand you know the answer to this how? Players don't like being the sub... From the mouth of more than one player.

I doubt very much any player would turn down being the sub when the other option is to sit on your ass doing nothing.....

but then again, might explain where we are, players would rather do nothing than potentially play.....

and lastly, why does it matter what the player would rather do? tail wag the dog these days?

I doubt very much any player would turn down being the sub when the other option is to sit on your ass doing nothing.....

but then again, might explain where we are, players would rather do nothing than potentially play.....

and lastly, why does it matter what the player would rather do? tail wag the dog these days?

Quite often being the sub is being asked to sit on your arse and do nothing, when the alternative may be actually being able to play a full game in the reserves and press a claim for a genuine senior spot.

To use a cricket analogy - open the bowling for the 2s, or be 12th man for the 1s. Most players, regardless of sport, want to actually play.

Quite often being the sub is being asked to sit on your arse and do nothing, when the alternative may be actually being able to play a full game in the reserves and press a claim for a genuine senior spot.

To use a cricket analogy - open the bowling for the 2s, or be 12th man for the 1s. Most players, regardless of sport, want to actually play.

:rolleyes: 🤦‍♂️Except in this case the option was sub or sit on your ass doing nothing - which would be best for the development of Ramsay? :think: which was my whole point

Whatever, the nuclear switch has to be activated at selection this week, some protected species who aren’t performing need to be back in the 2’s - maybe stage 1 of changing the appalling culture in the place

Get the feeling it’s too late now to change anything this year but we need to do it for the sake of the future.

If it results in people cracking the sads and us getting flogged, well we know who we should be moving on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Dow can run out a game, but he is so maligned by the coach that he isn’t afforded opportunity. He gets 54% TOG on average. 80% on the weekend strictly on-ball. He also had 20 pressure acts, 5 tackles and 5 clearances. I reckon rotate:
Crippa
Walsh
Kennedy
Dow
SPS

And you’ll see the explosive Paddy Wow we drafted
Not sure where you got 54% from, but he's averaging 62% this year including the game where he was subbed off early (only played 14% that day). If you deduct that game he's averaging 70% which is still a bit low, but nothing near that 54%. Last week was his lowest 'complete' game at 63% with his highest being against the eagles (79%).

I think a good approach would be in the 70-75% range. If your 6 taller types at each end play about 93% each then that leaves the remaining 16 players having to average about 78%, so Dow running 3-8% under that is fine. I'd probably rather him go 65% and mainly mid and still be able to make repeat efforts, rather than go 80% on-ball and have him completely blow up and become useless.

What's Keays' endurance like? Would think he's going straight to Walsh this week. Maybe Walsh should start on a wing and run like mad, try and wear BK down early, then start moving a bit more into the middle as the quarters go on.
Not sure Keays is much of a tagger, if anything he's a matchup man in the contest. Like he'll go to Cripps' in the contest so it's big body vs big body but nothing like a hard tag.

What's Keays' endurance like? Would think he's going straight to Walsh this week. Maybe Walsh should start on a wing and run like mad, try and wear BK down early, then start moving a bit more into the middle as the quarters go on.
Our brains trust really needs to consider these tactics. The only thing stopping Walsh being an elite winger is Walsh. He must be disciplined enough to hold to structures and refrain from manic ball hunting. It is vital for both his and our other aspiring midfielders development that he spend time on the outside.

We currently have a team full of semi developed players. The ability to regularly rotate roles will fast track our players and success. I would much rather Walsh, Williams, Stocker, Dow, Carroll, Honey, SPS, Kemp and Ramsay along with Philip and Cuningham when fit and a “twilight” Ed Curnow rotate through one or even both wings rather than playing a lesser skilled worker like Cottrell in a negating/mop up role.

Our brains trust really needs to consider these tactics. The only thing stopping Walsh being an elite winger is Walsh. He must be disciplined enough to hold to structures and refrain from manic ball hunting. It is vital for both his and our other aspiring midfielders development that he spend time on the outside.

I can see him really working over opponents and then finishing quarters strongly as it opens up and some players tire. It's certainly something I'd like to see him try next time he cops a hard tag. The alternative is he sits inside and tries to lay as many tackles as he can, or block/support the others inside, but my gut says he should get on his bike and start working up and down the wings as a way to beat his man,

We currently have a team full of semi developed players. The ability to regularly rotate roles will fast track our players and success. I would much rather Walsh, Williams, Stocker, Dow, Carroll, Honey, SPS, Kemp and Ramsay along with Philip and Cuningham when fit and a “twilight” Ed Curnow rotate through one or even both wings rather than playing a lesser skilled worker like Cottrell in a negating/mop up role.

Yep. Even without Ed...

Not sure where you got 54% from, but he's averaging 62% this year including the game where he was subbed off early (only played 14% that day). If you deduct that game he's averaging 70% which is still a bit low, but nothing near that 54%. Last week was his lowest 'complete' game at 63% with his highest being against the eagles (79%).

I think a good approach would be in the 70-75% range. If your 6 taller types at each end play about 93% each then that leaves the remaining 16 players having to average about 78%, so Dow running 3-8% under that is fine. I'd probably rather him go 65% and mainly mid and still be able to make repeat efforts, rather than go 80% on-ball and have him completely blow up and become useless.
Ok - I got it from the AFL website so no need for condescending tones!

I do concur however though, that 65% full-time on-ball is a sweet spot for him currently. And I disagree that he is any less fit than say Cripps.

Attachments

• 45AD7B0B-9920-4782-80C6-4DFAE240A41F.png
    45AD7B0B-9920-4782-80C6-4DFAE240A41F.png
    123.8 KB · Views: 94
B
Hardly. Kade Simpson had minimal game time in his first few matches under Pagan and didn't even register a disposal until game 4.

Didn't affect his development or career.
being a sub would be a great debut. You get to come in on fresh legs and show everyone what you have got.

Ok - I got it from the AFL website so no need for condescending tones!

I do concur however though, that 65% full-time on-ball is a sweet spot for him currently. And I disagree that he is any less fit than say Cripps.

Totally unnecessary.

Nothing condescending in CJMB's post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back