Preview RND 15 - Carlton vs Adelaide (Crom) - Sunday June 27th 4:10pm (EST) @ Marvel Stadium - Team - Post #762

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knighmare had him Pick 1 just prior to the 2017 draft with this ESPN writeup:

On BigFooty he listed the strengths and weaknesses:

Cal Twomey said

Matt Balmer:

This isn't what we are seeing from Dow except for the burst from stoppages. What has gone wrong?

Horrible footy development program at CFC.

Knighmare had him Pick 1 just prior to the 2017 draft with this ESPN writeup:

On BigFooty he listed the strengths and weaknesses:

Cal Twomey said

Matt Balmer:

This isn't what we are seeing from Dow except for the burst from stoppages. What has gone wrong?
It's the player we saw in 2019, but we haven't seen that player since about halfway through that year.

He looks like he's second guessing everything. The kid he was would've absolutely swooped on that ball in the first quarter yesterday - the one where he made way for Pittonett - but he's not playing that way anymore.

I don't get it either.

Alright.

This is the game that will determine whether we continue with Teague, or if he's dead in the water. Last night can be put down to a change in approach and coming off the bye against a team on a ground we don't do well at; excuses, I know, but I'm looking squarely at the coach here. While he should have an answer for these things, they are what they are and it's now yesterday's news. Teague is in direr straights than he was before, and he's now coaching for his career if he wasn't before.

So, we're against resurgent Adelaide in Adelaide. Cool. Walker's in decent form, so we're looking at him. They've got some pretty ball handlers in Sholl and Laird, so try to keep it away from them. They're pretty young, so they can get bullied; let them settle, and they'll carve you to pieces. They've a bit of mongrel, too, but it's not in your face.

If we win this, it's because the key players through the middle - Cripps, Pittonett, Walsh - get going. O'Brian for them is a thumping good B+ tier ruckman; he's no Gawn, but he's a trier and is better than Mumford. How we go will pretty much hinge on Pitto, and how he goes. If Cripps and Walsh have decent games, we'll be pretty good; it'd be nice if both of them can rediscover their kicking to a target inside 50, though.

I don't expect to win this, but stranger things have happened.
This is our home game? Has it been shifted to adelaide?

Would like Doc to be taken out of the backline. He’s lost the quality that made him superb in that side of the ground and that was being a general. Decision making, disposal and handling of the ball have been poor. Put him on the wing and leave him there.

*cracks knuckles, puts on music*

Pitto and TDK don't seem to be working together well. Got toweled up by a second gamer and a second rate Flynn. Pitto took a few good marks but got smashed defensively.
Briggs is a naturally gifted and athletic ruck, while Flynn is clearly a student of the game and the position. They have been doing a long apprenticeship at GWS.

Pittonet is someone who stagnated at the Hawks and seems to be physically limited. He should never have seen as much game time for us as he has.

Why does Dow play the least minutes?
Played 63%
Fitness or because he cannot impact the game unless it’s at a centre bounce?
Chicken/Egg
Either way it’s pointless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really, 63%? Amazing

Eeeeeeewwwwww. fu** is he chained to a post in the centre square?
Stats showed that after the first quarter, he rode the bench for 10+ minutes in the remaining quarters. He was also being repeatedly ignored in the transition, including one ridiculous handball that Jones tried to make to the back of Fogarty's head when Dow had his next possession lined up.

He's another player whose runs get ignored for all the wrong reasons (Williamson, O'Brien). Pretty much anyone running smartly on the outside gets ignored unless they're screaming in an acre of space forward of the ball with daylight between them and the kicker.

We're allergic to quick handballs and follow-up shepherds.

Ins: Murph (copped his medicine and responded)
He's been 'copping his medicine' all year, by being used almost exclusively at half-forward until Teague is desperate, as though he cannot teach and lead on the field with significant centre bounce and stoppage stints.

The only difference in his game at VFL level is that he copped more physical attention, and it didn't even slow him down a dot. It was an academic exercise for *******s in the stands and the coaching box who had convinced themselves they understood his game better than those who had bothered to witness his career in full, or the man himself.

Out: Newnes, Parks, Martin, Williams, Pittonet

In: Murphy (sub), Plowman, SPS, Casboult, Williamson, Cottrell
You've accounted the sub, but then put a fifth player on the bench. Cottrell doesn't deserve a recall either, and his skills fall away completely at AFL level for enormous portions of the game.

Liked your post but just can't agree with this. He brought an intensity and willingness to the contest that few of his peers brought yesterday. The difference really stood out at times.

And I'm well and truly at the point where I'd rather see lesser-lights who give a sh*t over talent that is either injured or not interested.
Kennedy only did that in short bursts at the start of quarters, then got badly exposed in open space. He also did nothing with such gilt-edged opportunities. I'm pretty sure the chances he got after quarter time came at the expense of Dow.

If you were seeing this output out of a senior player at any other football club, you'd be laughing at them and telling them to retire. Footy smarts in spades, but moves like a someone whose knees and ankles are shot. Needs a scientific/medical/training/dietary miracle, or needs to get gone.

I'm well and truly past the point where we call pyrite 'gold' because we're too mentally lazy how to figure out how to wash the mud off.

Go back and look at my thoughts, where I questioned if we could physically develop him to be that burst effort mid, and that his field kicking was suspect.

He's cleaned that up, and worked hard on himself, but our failure to recognise these issues from the start and change our valuation has seen his stocks drop a lot internally, and now his best work is often ignored. Works bloody hard only to be noticed too late to make the play he intended, and if he even gets the ball, winds up being a sloppy kick because of it.

So many dumb tactics and plays at our club, and you can see that it's derived off awful logic.

At the very least, they are finally allowing Dow to hunt the footy a little more, problem is, his tank is still substandard and struggles with generally reading play and it's why he struggles on a wing or resting forward
The problem is he's as timid as a shrew. Waits for others to take the ball. Actively seeks opposition contact on the periphery of the contest so he's screened out of play. Watch how often he is happy to be blocked/shepherded away from the ball.

The problem is he's as timid as a shrew. Waits for others to take the ball. Actively seeks opposition contact on the periphery of the contest so he's screened out of play. Watch how often he is happy to be blocked/shepherded away from the ball.

That's true, but at least at the centre bounces he is hunting the pill.

Now needs to convert that to round the ground stoppages

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He looks like he's second guessing everything. The kid he was would've absolutely swooped on that ball in the first quarter yesterday - the one where he made way for Pittonett - but he's not playing that way anymore.
That's born out of not feeling like he belongs. He's timid because he doesn't think he belongs, his skills suffer because that drains his confidence... Giving way to a ruckman for a ground ball get? Get ****ed.. Any confident mid goes hard and wins that even if the ruck is closer. Think this selection issue stuff that Soapy has outlined even further on the main board is really easily seen with Dow, somehow it looks like he doesn't feel wanted or a part of the team. Which tells me the teams fundamentally broken.

Last edited:
Stats showed that after the first quarter, he rode the bench for 10+ minutes in the remaining quarters. He was also being repeatedly ignored in the transition, including one ridiculous handball that Jones tried to make to the back of Fogarty's head when Dow had his next possession lined up.

He's another player whose runs get ignored for all the wrong reasons (Williamson, O'Brien). Pretty much anyone running smartly on the outside gets ignored unless they're screaming in an acre of space forward of the ball with daylight between them and the kicker.
See my above post...

Hi all,
Excuse the intrusion, what is the reason for Dow getting such low TOG?
63% is staggering low and I thought the word was that he had really improved his endurance over the off-season.
There were times I thought he didn't work hard enough to get to the contest, but his tackle and pressure act numbers were actually pretty reasonable, especially considering the low TOG, and he was OK clearance-wise, and he did some good things in the third quarter surge.
Can't figure out the strategy.

Interesting, Lob was tracking okay early 2019 as well. Any developments down at the club midway through that season?

oh wait.... :p
LOB was actually better in the second half of 19 than the first. The problem was that since the start of 20 we went with Newnes in his place, and he’s only been picked twice since.

What I'd love to see any of these to give them a run and see what they can offer in the last 10 games
IN: Honey,Carroll,Obrien,Kemp,Durdin,Ramsay,SPS,Boyd,Williamson

What we'll get IN: Plowman,Murphy,Casboult,Gibbons

Hi all,
Excuse the intrusion, what is the reason for Dow getting such low TOG?
63% is staggering low and I thought the word was that he had really improved his endurance over the off-season.
There were times I thought he didn't work hard enough to get to the contest, but his tackle and pressure act numbers were actually pretty reasonable, especially considering the low TOG, and he was OK clearance-wise, and he did some good things in the third quarter surge.
Can't figure out the strategy.
Coaching and stubbornness plus clear divisions in the team. We had players ignoring him and choosing worse options with handballs etc. Somethings up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back