Preview RND 15 - Carlton vs Adelaide (Crom) - Sunday June 27th 4:10pm (EST) @ Marvel Stadium - Team - Post #762

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I can understand people wanting to replace the likes of Newman, but my thoughts are more to do with why he was given the task on Greene, which I believe is a poor matchup strategy

If people are still adamant with replacing Newman, perhaps ask, who was on Finlayson

The likes of Newman and or Doc should be used as that +1 one intercept player, rather than Williams or Williamson as we did earlier in the year

Will share more on where I think Teague, coaches and players are at, later, but this gameplan/style currently being adopted and how it's evolved is fraudulent and selfish.

We had only 3 less entries, scored similar in % of shots, (1 less shot), yet never looked like winning. These numbers aren't the reason, but they justify the vision

It's like under 12's footy, kick long into the 50, rather than sharing with teammates in a better position, try the impossible shot from the boundary, rather than hitting a player in a better position
Only time we share with teammates is when they are in worse position or under more pressure.

And also make sure it's a looper to give oppo plenty of time to crunch your 'mate'.

Jimmyonesix

Premiership Player
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Exactly right. Can get the ball at stoppages and distribute from there well. Can't do a single thing anywhere else. Just a passenger outside of the square. Timid and scared outside of that zone. Is he wearing a shock collar?
That piece of play in the backline where he took two steps back instead of going to pick up the ball done it for me -- I have never seen anything like that before -- I have put a line through him for now ..

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
Only time we share with teammates is when they are in worse position or under more pressure.

And also make sure it's a looper to give oppo plenty of time to crunch your 'mate'.
Another thing we are seriously hopeless at, i mean how the hell are we sooo horrible at many of the games basics... My set of grief steps are on auto loop...

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
That piece of play in the backline where he took two steps back instead of going to pick up the ball done it for me -- I have never seen anything like that before -- I have put a line through him for now ..
Weitering was coming at it from the opposite direction and a similar distance. He didn’t want to run headfirst into his teammate fighting for the same ball. It looked shocking. Dow, like much of the team is lacking confidence.
There’s talent there though. He’s got great hands, can win the contested ball, has that burst. We need to persist.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Another thing we are seriously hopeless at, i mean how the hell are we sooo horrible at many of the games basics... My set of grief steps are on auto loop...
Shocking.
And this is a coaching issue. You can’t get that many players drafted who are that inept at basic football.

jackn

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2006
aus
AFL Club
Carlton
Weitering was coming at it from the opposite direction and a similar distance. He didn’t want to run headfirst into his teammate fighting for the same ball. It looked shocking. Dow, like much of the team is lacking confidence.
There’s talent there though. He’s got great hands, can win the contested ball, has that burst. We need to persist.
Unless it happened twice it was pittonet. Dow should always be going for the ground ball ahead of pittonet.

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
Shocking.
And this is a coaching issue. You can’t get that many players drafted who are that inept at basic football.
100% but I’m also of the belief players also share some of the blame as well...
We have truely wasted valuable time and years developing our kids & players with such poor standards fundamentals structures and overall game plan, can’t help too think how much better advanced many of our kids and brand would be if we had all the right people in place...
Hopefully our kids careers can be salvaged through better incoming coaches and we play a brand and style of all in unconditional football...

lilJeffyG

Senior List
Mar 3, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
That's my point, our accuracy has been poor all year, it's not just about the capability of kicking, it's where you are kicking from
We can't hit a target around the ground, why would 2 big sticks in front of them change that.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Finals is done, get the most we can out of the season and start developing players.

B: Plowman Weitering Docherty
HB: Saad Jones Williams
C: Ramsay Cripps Walsh
HF: Honey Casboult Fogarty
F: Fisher McKay Silvagni
OB: DeKoning Kennedy Stocker
IC: Newman Dow Carroll Murphy

Out:
Pittonet - He's just ordinary.

Parks - injured.

Betts - We're getting nothing out of playing him and he's mediocre.

Curnow - form has been poor, not versatile, disposal and age is against him.

Martin - Been poor, played terribly.

Newnes

In:
Casboult - really don't want him in but I want TDK to go into the ruck.

Ramsay - can run, kick, rack it up and is hard at it. No brainer.

Plowman - in our best 22 for now.

Carroll - you just have to play a young guy who has talent like he does.

Honey - a young player in good form, no brainer.

Murphy - Played well, still has some class, in to play midfield until someone else steps up or his form drops.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
What I'd love to see any of these to give them a run and see what they can offer in the last 10 games
IN: Honey,Carroll,Obrien,Kemp,Durdin,Ramsay,SPS,Boyd,Williamson

What we'll get IN: Plowman,Murphy,Casboult,Gibbons

You can guarantee itll be the same old deck chairs. Just look at the sub last week, we take up an experienced bloke (newnes) and a kid (ramsay) and choose to waste any chance of the kid getting game time (and lose another week of development) and use the experienced guy instead....

macky99

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Finals is done, get the most we can out of the season and start developing players.

B: Plowman Weitering Docherty
HB: Saad Jones Williams
C: Ramsay Cripps Walsh
HF: Honey Casboult Fogarty
F: Fisher McKay Silvagni
OB: DeKoning Kennedy Stocker
IC: Newman Dow Carroll Murphy

Out:
Pittonet - He's just ordinary.

Parks - injured.

Betts - We're getting nothing out of playing him and he's mediocre.

Curnow - form has been poor, not versatile, disposal and age is against him.

Martin - Been poor, played terribly.

Newnes

In:
Casboult - really don't want him in but I want TDK to go into the ruck.

Ramsay - can run, kick, rack it up and is hard at it. No brainer.

Plowman - in our best 22 for now.

Carroll - you just have to play a young guy who has talent like he does.

Honey - a young player in good form, no brainer.

Murphy - Played well, still has some class, in to play midfield until someone else steps up or his form drops.
Betts is not the future, but his form in the past month except for last weekend is much better than Fogarty who has very little at all since the early rounds.
He still offers much more than him without doubt.

skadoosh

Premiership Player
May 26, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Unless it happened twice it was pittonet. Dow should always be going for the ground ball ahead of pittonet.
Yeah that was Pittonet coming from the other way. Pitto might have been 1m closer, but Dow was facing the right way to attack the ball, gather and exit the D50. Instead he saw Pitto and thought...I'll leave it to the big guy to get a ground ball and handball it to me.

I was speechless when I saw Dow make that decision.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Betts is not the future, but his form in the past month except for last weekend is much better than Fogarty who has very little at all since the early rounds.

They play slightly different roles, forward pocket vs forward flank/wing.

We get absolutely nothing out of playing Betts. Especially when you really should be playing Honey, Owies, Fogarty and finding a spot for Carroll.

Betts has played some ok footy and that's not the point, the point is we have young players we should be playing and he's not going to be there next year.

Play the young guys, get something out of the last few games.

macky99

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton

We get absolutely nothing out of playing Betts. Especially when you really should be playing Honey, Owies, Fogarty and finding a spot for Carroll.

Betts has played some ok footy and that's not the point, the point is we have young players we should be playing and he's not going to be there next year.

Betts had a good month of footy before last weekend, whilst play the young guys if they deserve the opportunity but just don't gift someone games for non performance eg Fogarty, even at this late stage of his career still has more to offer than Fogarty who is just another Geelong cast off to us to be honest.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal

To be fair to Eddie it was his first sub par game since the Brisbane game, but yes I think he could be at least given a rest.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
To be fair to Eddie it was his first sub par game since the Brisbane game, but yes I think he could be at least given a rest.

If we are playing Betts ahead of Honey who has been showing plenty and been playing well for some time then we have a problem.
You aren't going to drop Owies who is kicking regular goals and Fogarty who is going ok. You drop the old bloke who is contributing nothing to our next finals campaign. You bring him back if one of our youngsters has been poor.

It's not about how well Betts has been, it's all about the time being right when our youngsters have come on and that time was weeks ago.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
If we are playing Betts ahead of Honey who has been showing plenty and been playing well for some time then we have a problem.
You aren't going to drop Owies who is kicking regular goals and Fogarty who is going ok. You drop the old bloke who is contributing nothing to our next finals campaign. You bring him back if one of our youngsters has been poor.

It's not about how well Betts has been, it's all about the time being right when our youngsters have come on and that time was weeks ago.

Fogarty hasnt been going well though, he has been pretty ordinary the last month or so. I didnt want Betts to play this year and should have been dropped earleir in the year, but his form over the last month or 6 weeks has meant he keeps his spot. Was poor against GWS but deserves to keep his spot. I didnt think Fogarty should have been bought back against GWS due to poor form. Honey can have his spot for now.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton

Owies is already playing, Honey should take Martin's spot until Martin is 100%, Fogarty is already playing but perhaps shouldn't be, and Carroll shouldn't be parked in a forward pocket to stagnate.

Betts stays in for the time being, because while he doesn't always have huge impact he does always put in the effort. The small forward role is traditionally inconsistent in output, but I think the threat of Betts is still enough that it's helping Owies find space and hit the scoreboard on a more consistent basis.

If Durdin was kicking the door down, I'd probably opt for him instead of Eddie, but there's been some injury interruption there and Durdin probably benefits more from getting more time in the ressies under O'Keeffe and Power than he does in playing seniors on limited prep.

Honey for Martin this week.

Tell SPS, LOB, Ramsay, Carroll and Kemp that there's going to be opportunity for them too if they really push their case. Filter them in over the next month.

Charlie getting closer...

End the year with:

Plow, Jones, Saad
Williams, Weitering, Kemp
Carroll, Walsh, LOB
TDK, Cripps, Stocker
Honey, McKay, JSOS
Fisher, Curnow, Owies
I/C: SPS, Ramsay, and whoever the hell deserves the last two spots on form

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Fogarty hasnt been going well though, he has been pretty ordinary the last month or so. I didnt want Betts to play this year and should have been dropped earleir in the year, but his form over the last month or 6 weeks has meant he keeps his spot. Was poor against GWS but deserves to keep his spot. I didnt think Fogarty should have been bought back against GWS due to poor form. Honey can have his spot for now.

Fogarty easily outplayed Betts against GWS, he's a young player and he's a part of our long term future.

Part of Betts role is to make way when the time is right and it is

KnaveyBlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2003
57 Mt. Pleasant Street
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chicago Bears
At least Betts has the courage to kick at goal. Fogarty either half-kicks it, or looks to give it off 20m dead in front.

Out: Fogarty, Martin, Pitto, Parks

In: SPS, Honey, Casboult, Plowman

Murphy to replace Newnes as medical sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back