Autopsy Rnd 15 - WCE def Dogs 87-80

Remove this Banner Ad

We were 9-6 in 2007, then got belted by Geelong and West Coast back to back on Friday nights and that set the rot in.

We only drew with St Kilda in the last 7 weeks, ended up 9-12-1 and came 13th (9-12-1 gets you 10th-12th normally)

Trading McMahon in the off season was a good idea, same with bringing in Hudson who boosted our midfield big time, Scott Welsh was the best forward available too and he played his role I felt.

We need a good trade period imo, fix some holes, clear out whoever may not be up to scratch and we go again next year. Coaching and fitness staff needs reviewing to, can't go with the same line coaches next year, Bev needs to bring one or two new blokes in. We're still getting injuries also, injury prevention methods imo need to be implemented.

im not sure what happend in 07. we played good for the first half of the year . we got aker also

difference is that our veterans wont be apart of the "08-10" years.

we really need players in that age bracket 25-28

It didn't feel right to you because we hadn't won it for 62 ******* years! No one knew what to do.

It felt good to me then and it still feels good now.

We have lost some close ones this year, if half of those go the other way it's a different story
Yeah felt good to me too. Guy sitting near me yesterday said we flunked the GF.....All I could do was shake my head. We fluked it based on comparison of this year to last? completely different seasons.

Logic escapes me and the negativity and ungratefulness astounds me.

What they did was amazing. I will never forget it. I can go to my grave having seen it, I didn't think I would.

This year, always tough to follow up, is for most teams and we are still young, relatively inexperienced team.

The way this season is working out reminds me of 2007. After an exciting 06, we didn't come up the next year. Other sides were intimidating us, we were being beaten easily and regularly and were generally pretty ordinary.

Let's hope the next few years are like 08 and 09, but we go one better.
2 better!!! I still hope in my stupid over optimism that we can turn it around and go back to back again.

On Nexus 6P using BigFooty.com mobile app

Some support for Campbell, but those two shots on goal were horrible. No point resting him forward if he can't kick.

Also surprised for the support of Dale. I don't think he is a good user of the ball and while I'm ok to give him more time, I don't think he makes it long term

Also surprised for the support of Dale. I don't think he is a good user of the ball and while I'm ok to give him more time, I don't think he makes it long term

Wow we are watching different games. Dale one of the few positives

Just a question for those guys that regularly go to games (unfortunately living interstate I can't).

Do we have any players giving directions at stoppages? And firm directions?

I regularly see on tv opposition teams pointing and almost getting animated with each other at stoppages to make sure everyone is where they should be. Don't see it with our boys is that just the tv not showing it or are the players just worrying about their own spot?

Some support for Campbell, but those two shots on goal were horrible. No point resting him forward if he can't kick.

Who in our forward line can kick set shots atm?

Honeychurch can't (was a mid when drafted)

Dahl can't

Campbell can't

Toyd struggles when in

I think our forward line is a huge issue. We play red down there who is great on a straight lead and is a reliable kick but just has no agility when the ball hits the deck.

Stringer and Dickson both good around goals but can't get a kick and don't seem to work anywhere near hard enough

Dahl and Honeychurch both pressure hard and tackle but can't kick set shots.

Toyd, Campbell, Roughead all three when resting there occasionally take a grab but generally get a mark floating down as the ruckman more than when in the forward line and it's pot luck with all when having a shot.

Our most reliable forward when played there seems to be picken.

We have drafted some quality kids in recent times but we have constantly gone for flanker and mid types and I can't remember the last time we draft a young natural forward.

Just a question for those guys that regularly go to games (unfortunately living interstate I can't).

I regularly see on tv opposition teams pointing and almost getting animated with each other at stoppages to make sure everyone is where they should be. Don't see it with our boys is that just the tv not showing it or are the players just worrying about their own spot?

Don't notice much communication actually at the stoppages, but neither do they look confused or seek direction.
Bont seems to take charge if somethings adrift. I noticed yesterday he took the ruck because Redpath didn't get to the square in time.
To be honest they look like they are just going through the motions.
The back line don't seem near as vocal as last year. Moyd might be more important than we think.
Just my observations, as this is something I look for too. Not sure if they need a leader in there or their instructions on what to do or where to stand at a stoppage are just completely off.

Don't notice much communication actually at the stoppages, but neither do they look confused or seek direction.
Bont seems to take charge if somethings adrift. I noticed yesterday he took the ruck because Redpath didn't get to the square in time.
To be honest they look like they are just going through the motions.
The back line don't seem near as vocal as last year. Moyd might be more important than we think.
Just my observations, as this is something I look for too. Not sure if they need a leader in there or their instructions on what to do or where to stand at a stoppage are just completely off.

Was just thinking given our form maybe players are worrying about just themselves and keeping their spot in the team.

They all know bev has no issue dropping them and that could explain the lack of our zone defence working, our players coming off their man to help out and the lack of direction around stoppages.

They may be in self perseverance mode

Dahl can't

Campbell can't

Toyd struggles when in

I think our forward line is a huge issue. We play red down there who is great on a straight lead and is a reliable kick but just has no agility when the ball hits the deck.

Stringer and Dickson both good around goals but can't get a kick and don't seem to work anywhere near hard enough

Toyd, Campbell, Roughead all three when resting there occasionally take a grab but generally get a mark floating down as the ruckman more than when in the forward line and it's pot luck with all when having a shot.

We have drafted some quality kids in recent times but we have constantly gone for flanker and mid types and I can't remember the last time we draft a young natural forward.

Our kicking skills is not just the forward lines issue it's across the board. We have close to zero skill executing by foot. We try to kick it to the player where most times all we need to do is put in front of them and let them run into it eg Toby to red the kick dictated to Red where to go. We can't deliver a 30m pass!

Enter Webb (who I say will be elsewhere next year) and B.WIlliams

Dale is one of the very few positives this year. Very few!

I was one that had all but given up on , but he has shown me these last few games , including yesterday , he may be a best 22 next year.

Dahl can't

Campbell can't

Toyd struggles when in

Wallis.
Dickson - not that he's taken many recently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was just thinking given our form maybe players are worrying about just themselves and keeping their spot in the team.

They all know bev has no issue dropping them and that could explain the lack of our zone defence working, our players coming off their man to help out and the lack of direction around stoppages.

They may be in self perseverance mode
Probably a bit of that going on but you only have to go and watch a game from last year and the lack of intensity and commitment is poles apart. Lots of pretend chasing, smothering and tackling happening out there. Don't like singling anyone out but
Stringers lack of effort was embarrassing yesterday. Not the first time we've seen him do that though.

I was laughed at last year for saying smothers are a stat that is king in measuring how a team is going.

I'd love to compare smother stats from this year to last. Desperation and fight in addition to poor skill execution is what is killing us.

The smother - The key indicator no one talks about.

I was laughed at last year for saying smothers are a stat that is king in measuring how a team is going.

I'd love to compare smother stats from this year to last. Desperation and fight in addition to poor skill execution is what is killing us.

The smother - The key indicator no one talks about.

The smother shows where you headspace is at! We did it well in season 2016 and up it in the finals series

I'm sure there would be a stat for it somewhere. Some players have better smothering technique than others, but not many of ours currently have the inner desperation which is required all of the time.

why do our players sit 15 m from their opponents in no mans land and it allows the eagles to handball their way far too easily through the corridor?

By the time our player sprints to try and intercept the tackler he is out of position and then holes form which they can easily transition into their forward line because of lack of pressure.

Its been the story all year

It's called zone defence. Not too many teams play man on man any more. And like any strategy it has its pitfalls.
Our zone strategy has our defenders push up (maybe further than other teams) The negative is we are susceptible to "over the top" or "backdoor" goals. The positive is it increases likelihood of locking ball in our forward half. It's a risk Vs reward strategy. I'm not sure the strategy is wrong, but our execution of it is questionable

Once again, after the game in the players race, another hero yelling abuse at the players. Rough heard him and if he could have jumped the fence I would have feared for the guy.

I get people are upset when we lose, but questioning the effort of our own players when the game is over by yeliiing abuse, is not being a supporter. I was ashamed. I was disappointed with that bloke, I wonder what sort of bloke he is away from footy? Not one I'd like to be mates with that's for sure.

We didn't lose because of lack of effort, we lost because our skill level was deplorable, and our oppposition was far cleaner, yet we nearly got them anyway.
Oooh! I usually stand there. Wonder if he was a regular. Was he on the concourse or where the seats are? What did he say?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I've heard that problem is being addressed in the trade period. Going hard at Jack Riewoldt, Brendan Goddard and getting back Higgins. There's the best finger pointers in the comp.

I've heard that problem is being addressed in the trade period. Going hard at Jack Riewoldt, Brendan Goddard and getting back Higgins. There's the best finger pointers in the comp.

That's a dumb post. You can give direction and get into guys who aren't where they should be the Hawks did it for years.

There's a huge difference between sulky footballers who don't man up and a footballer getting in position at a stoppage on his man and making sure his team mates are where they should be.

But thanks for that enlightening reply

It's called zone defence. Not too many teams play man on man any more. And like any strategy it has its pitfalls.
Our zone strategy has our defenders push up (maybe further than other teams) The negative is we are susceptible to "over the top" or "backdoor" goals. The positive is it increases likelihood of locking ball in our forward half. It's a risk Vs reward strategy. I'm not sure the strategy is wrong, but our execution of it is questionable

Our execution of the zone isn't questionable, our pressure to make the zone effective is what is questionable

That's a dumb post. You can give direction and get into guys who aren't where they should be the Hawks did it for years.

There's a huge difference between sulky footballers who don't man up and a footballer getting in position at a stoppage on his man and making sure his team mates are where they should be.

But thanks for that enlightening reply

I've got some special seeds you may want. They are for growing a sense of humour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back