AFL Toast Rnd 15: Win against GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Smack's game against North last year was immense. He's had a few now too which is why fans get excited when he's up and about. Sadly it doesn't happen as often as we'd like. Cheers.
That was as perfect a team performance as I can recall. The best game of the last few seasons. Last night's game was a thrilling win.

Smack's game against North last year was immense. He's had a few now too which is why fans get excited when he's up and about. Sadly it doesn't happen as often as we'd like. Cheers.

Still think that goal last night, was possibly the highlight of his career to date, in terms of everything riding on it - Bombers season at stake, do or die moment.. he could have stuffed it up but he took the opportunity and smashed it in. Just so bloody frustrating that nothing in the media is about the goal itself.. only this supposed controversy. If we are getting to the point we are focusing on fingernails on the ball.. this game is in trouble. I can see them introducing Hawkeye and Snicko soon and it ends up like Tennis with players requesting Hawkeye replays.. That's where I stop watching this sport.

Also.. you guys are the experts on this... I was wondering why Worsfold doesn't play Hooker forward more often? He was deadly in that last quarter.. really beefs up the forward line with guys like Danniher and Stringer out and gives them that experienced player that knows what he is doing - case in point... when he handballed back out on the 50 then sprinted down to the goal square to take the mark from the handball he just passed off - a young player probably wouldn't have had the smarts to pull something like this off.

I was wondering why Worsfold doesn't play Hooker forward more often? He was deadly in that last quarter.. really beefs up the forward line with guys like Danniher and Stringer out and gives them that experienced player that knows what he is doing - case in point... when he handballed back out on the 50 then sprinted down to the goal square to take the mark from the handball he just passed off - a young player probably wouldn't have had the smarts to pull something like this off.

Probably didnt want to mess with the defence which has been solid this season for the most part. Looks like he wont have any choice now though other than send Francis back & Hooker forward.

Still think that goal last night, was possibly the highlight of his career to date, in terms of everything riding on it - Bombers season at stake, do or die moment.. he could have stuffed it up but he took the opportunity and smashed it in. Just so bloody frustrating that nothing in the media is about the goal itself.. only this supposed controversy. If we are getting to the point we are focusing on fingernails on the ball.. this game is in trouble. I can see them introducing Hawkeye and Snicko soon and it ends up like Tennis with players requesting Hawkeye replays.. That's where I stop watching this sport.

Also.. you guys are the experts on this... I was wondering why Worsfold doesn't play Hooker forward more often? He was deadly in that last quarter.. really beefs up the forward line with guys like Danniher and Stringer out and gives them that experienced player that knows what he is doing - case in point... when he handballed back out on the 50 then sprinted down to the goal square to take the mark from the handball he just passed off - a young player probably wouldn't have had the smarts to pull something like this off.

To be honest, our backline has been really good so maybe he doesn't want to mess that up. That being said who knows with Worsfold? Personally I'd love for Hooker to go forward and help. We have a dearth of backline talent & everything to lose, so imo he can go forward and stay there from here on out.

Probably didnt want to mess with the defence which has been solid this season for the most part. Looks like he wont have any choice now though other than send Francis back & Hooker forward.
This should happen for the remainder of the season now
Spine of Hurley Francis TBC daniher hooker can take us forward in 2020 too

To be honest I’m not taking the goal review system seriously at all.

It’s a billion dollar industry and the technology we have is completely amateur. Crappy cameras with about 2 years between each frame? Come off it.

Get some super slow mo footage on the goal line ala the tennis or GTFO with the whole ‘HIS FINGER BENDS BACK YOU CAN SEE THAT LITTLE PEICE OF FLUFF IN THE FRAME DERP’

Get serious Gil, use some of those endless trunks of money on a decent review system

I don't think the Deledio decision was that bad at all. He was very clearly going for the boundary line. It's actually a far more 'deliberate' act than the scrubbed kick off the ground into space that dribbles over the line. He's in full control of the footy and ran over the line, ie about as deliberate an act that you can get.
Agreed. This was right in front of me, he grabbed the ball tucked it in and jogged to the line. He should have at least pretended to pull-up, handball over the top, turn before the line to give him the benefit of the doubt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest I’m not taking the goal review system seriously at all.

It’s a billion dollar industry and the technology we have is completely amateur. Crappy cameras with about 2 years between each frame? Come off it.

Get some super slow mo footage on the goal line ala the tennis or GTFO with the whole ‘HIS FINGER BENDS BACK YOU CAN SEE THAT LITTLE PEICE OF FLUFF IN THE FRAME DERP’

Get serious Gil, use some of those endless trunks of money on a decent review system
I don't watch enough tennis to be familiar with their system (though I've seen it on screen once or twice eons ago) but I like the DRS in cricket where they have a few different tools and things for different types of reviews, and then bringing it up on the screen with the different criteria and the verdict of each section, with one of the possible results being "umpire's call".

kohli-drs-1479382309-800.jpg

good win!
my concerns however are, a lot of amateurish turnovers, even from our senior group, clearly occurring frequently throughout the game. Really poor disposal. Contested marking aside from Hooker and Mckernan is terrible and has been for a while. Players look lost around the contest and are easily muscled out. Kicking looks sloppy, not reaching distances or passing off.

Gilligan is ******* delusional.

Anyway about the game: - unfortunately it will paper over the cracks that we were outplayed for most of the contest. Skills were poor, decision making bewildering. It says a lot that we didn't have a 4 quarter player (maybe Saad aside - as another poster mentioned)
Well done to the guys that stepped up (eg. Langers in the last) but by god where were you in the first three quarters?

There is just something about the way Essendon play that is clearly not good enough to match it with good teams.
I don't know what the solution is.
But in saying that last night was good in the fact that they gutsed it out when I didn't think they had it in 'em.

What I would do is a thorough review of the fitness/conditioning staff (as injuries have cruelled us in 19) and possibly the assistant coaches.
I don't know if moving on Woosh will change anything with this group. If he does go - maybe others should follow...

Thing with Smack is he’s now taking marks around the ground when he’s in the ruck.

Hooker and Ambrose out of the backline is a worry but had to make the move last night. So many times we got it in with no targets.

I love that set up for the run home.

Give Frang some responsibility. Take some pressure of Brown/Smac with the big Hook deep. Let tippa, fantasia and fridge get to his feet and do what they do best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back