AFL Toast Rnd 15: Win against GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

I love that set up for the run home.

Give Frang some responsibility. Take some pressure of Brown/Smac with the big Hook deep. Let tippa, fantasia and fridge get to his feet and do what they do best.

Frang is a wip but clearly looks better in defence, chased like a mofo last night too which was good to see.

Probably didnt want to mess with the defence which has been solid this season for the most part. Looks like he wont have any choice now though other than send Francis back & Hooker forward.
In the last 5 minutes it looked like all 18 were playing forward. Francis certainly seemed to be playing fairly close to goals.

Gilligan is ******* delusional.

Anyway about the game: - unfortunately it will paper over the cracks that we were outplayed for most of the contest. Skills were poor, decision making bewildering. It says a lot that we didn't have a 4 quarter player (maybe Saad aside - as another poster mentioned)
Well done to the guys that stepped up (eg. Langers in the last) but by god where were you in the first three quarters?

There is just something about the way Essendon play that is clearly not good enough to match it with good teams.
I don't know what the solution is.
But in saying that last night was good in the fact that they gutsed it out when I didn't think they had it in 'em.

What I would do is a thorough review of the fitness/conditioning staff (as injuries have cruelled us in 19) and possibly the assistant coaches.
I don't know if moving on Woosh will change anything with this group. If he does go - maybe others should follow...
You're being a bit harsh. Good sport is about effort and never giving up, despite the skill of your opponent and the size of the margin. It's about having a go. One of my all time highlights is the last quarter effort of our 2016 top-up team v North. Who lost the game but gave their all and got a standing ovation for their efforts. Pretty sure that influenced James Kelly to stay on with Essendon. GWS are elitely talented footballers with silky skills - despite that we beat them. That's something to celebrate, no?

I dont think the footage is a conclusive as the commentary last night, and the media today, are banging on about. Looking at the same footage as the Channel 7 commentators, I honestly could not tell either way.
It was a behind. But thems the breaks.

didn't et to sleep til like 3am, tooooo pumped

as an aside, how can we stop the umpire booing 45 seconds into a game? it makes us look like effing pickles!

does feel good to get the rub for once it must be said...
I can hear the effing pickles now:

We got the rub of the green coz we booed the umps and they didn't like it so they gave us all the frees. Booing is ace.

As for goal review just stick with reviewing the ball going through the posts, forget off the boot.

I might be imagining it but I could have sworn there was something that the media banged on about for ages that they only wanted the goal review to do goal line decisions.

Then all of a sudden this year all the anger isat it not picking up the touched off the boot calls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i was too shocked. Speechless and staring
I was grinning at the TV like a moron. My son, passing to go to the loo commented, "You look insanely happy, did Essendon win?" and, when I confirmed that was the source of my insane joy, he was suitably impressed, having been in the room and noting my subdued demeanor when we were 19 points down, only minutes before.

You're being a bit harsh. Good sport is about effort and never giving up, despite the skill of your opponent and the size of the margin. It's about having a go. One of my all time highlights is the last quarter effort of our 2016 top-up team v North. Who lost the game but gave their all and got a standing ovation for their efforts. Pretty sure that influenced James Kelly to stay on with Essendon. GWS are elitely talented footballers with silky skills - despite that we beat them. That's something to celebrate, no?

Yes it is and I probably am being a bit harsh - but that's the feeling I get. I'm probably trying to be a realist - this isn't a good team - or it doesn't routinely do what good teams do...
The grit & fight: that was the most pleasing bit of last night.
I just feel that a lot of the time that (non negotiable) stuff is a bit 'pick & choose'.

I certainly agree that in 2016 we fought out plenty of games and it seems that once we've got all our players back , that manic effort (fruitless as it was in 2016) was sometimes missing.
I remember on a Sunday night that the top up team ran a very cocky GWS pretty close, ran the even Saints closer and the North Melb game (as well as the wins we got.) They were all proud moments.
That year there was never a doubt that the players were giving 100%
Ever since? ...not sure?

Last night when our pressure dropped and we tried to corral players instead of actually putting them under pressure, GWS scored (easily) because they do not miss their opportunities.

The McKernan touched goal = Rampe goal post hug

Equivalent Exchange I’d say

Not quite. The touch would’ve been worth a point and we still would’ve had the same chance to kick the next goal.

Loved that we sent a signal to the competition that we can now run out games strongly - it puts the pressure on oppo teams to be in front early if they know the Dons are going to come home in the last quarter!! Go Bombers!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back