AFL Toast Rnd 15: Win against GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mind the Giants, they're not collingwood they're not carlton ( as much as silvagni has turned them gws lite ) But * I enjoyed that, especially after they bent us over in R1. And if a bent finger touching the ball has caused some heartache, swings and roundabouts you afl fed muppets. Another cracking night at the football.

Yes it is and I probably am being a bit harsh - but that's the feeling I get. I'm probably trying to be a realist - this isn't a good team - or it doesn't routinely do what good teams do...
The grit & fight: that was the most pleasing bit of last night.
I just feel that a lot of the time that (non negotiable) stuff is a bit 'pick & choose'.

I certainly agree that in 2016 we fought out plenty of games and it seems that once we've got all our players back , that manic effort (fruitless as it was in 2016) was sometimes missing.
I remember on a Sunday night that the top up team ran a very cocky GWS pretty close, ran the even Saints closer and the North Melb game (as well as the wins we got.) They were all proud moments.
That year there was never a doubt that the players were giving 100%
Ever since? ...not sure?

Last night when our pressure dropped and we tried to corral players instead of actually putting them under pressure, GWS scored (easily) because they do not miss their opportunities.
I know what you're saying but the truth is they did miss their opportunities - that's why they lost, despite being the better team in many ways.

yes, right you are. We still win even if they get the touched decision right.

That’s not how the game works.

McKernan’s goal gave us the belief.

Last edited:
Where did you go? I lived there for a couple years during the saga; sometimes I miss their way of life.
Italy, Scotland and England (mostly london)

Was more a relaxation trip in my favourite places in the world instead of discovering new destinations/cultures

If you could somehow merge Scottish and Italian lifestyle, i'd be quite content with that.

I didn't mind the umpiring that much. GWS infringed a lot tonight. A LOT. They infringed a lot in round 1 too, but we didn't get paid frees for half those infringements.

I don't know what all the carry on is about. GWS should have had about 10 more frees paid against them just in the first half. Every marking contest they pushed the Essendon player in front of them as he jumped for the mark. They were always grappling players before they picked up the ball. If anything I was frustrated with the lack of calling by the umpires early.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't seen any replay or footage since being at the game last night, still not sure how we won. Giants were completely dominant in the 2nd and 3rd quarter, with essendon going for long periods without even crossing the halfway point of the field. Very similar to the eagles game last week. Our team defense was pretty good however and allowed us to stay in the game. Our tackling pressure was good for a lot of the game and it helped to keep us in it.

The last 15 minutes was bloody exciting and props to the crowd who really got behind the team.

The season lives on, just.

The funny thing is 6 weeks ago the exact same thing happened against us. We touched the ball and it wasn't reviewed.

Sure it wasn't in the last minutes but it was still a goal margin we lost by. Was there any uproar? ****en none. Lol

Sorry which game was this?

I had an eagles fan give me **** about the game last night. First he was going on about how we lost. I asked him if he watched the game and he admitted he switched off in the last when GWS were up.

When I let him know we won, he defaulted to saying the umpires got us there in the end.

A ******* eagles fan.
Careful, your west australian-ness is showing :p

No one mentions Finlayson’s hand in the back on Francis for Giants last goal. They didn’t even bother replaying it.

The three most vocal in the media are guys with a close interest in the result, Jon Brown and Jon Ralph because their team are around 8 spot and Bartel who’s a Giants’ board member. Get stuffed the lot of them.

Born and raised in NSW, and have lived in Melbourne as well. Bulk of my time has been in WA though.

Also, I very rarely have a bad thing to say about the eagles. This is a one off, I promise.
The benefit of being in Melbourne is that I very rarely come across an eagles fan (except on the internet), so it's a bit tricky to be annoyed by one :p

We were robbed of a goal in the first qtr with a dodgy mark paid to Reid so it all evens out in the end.
If T-Bell is out for a few would like to see Smack play perm ruck.
Stewart and Stringer in
T-Bell and Begley out
Hooker perm fwd plz

We were robbed of a goal in the first qtr with a dodgy mark paid to Reid so it all evens out in the end.
If T-Bell is out for a few would like to see Smack play perm ruck.
Stewart and Stringer in
T-Bell and Begley out
Hooker perm fwd plz
Stewart has played half a game in the last three months

No one mentions Finlayson’s hand in the back on Francis for Giants last goal. They didn’t even bother replaying it.

The three most vocal in the media are guys with a close interest in the result, Jon Brown and Jon Ralph because their team are around 8 spot and Bartel who’s

Yeah that’s not a free kick, completely comfortable with that.

I think the 6 decisions that GWS can rightfully point to as being pretty shithouse are the non review, the htb free given to Begley right before the 3qt siren which was very hot and could have easily shifted momentum had he converted , TBC getting caught holding it absolutely cold, the Finlayson no mark on the outer wing, the Delidio deliberate and the Fantasia advantage getting called back. Even the Fantasia one I’m not completely sure how they adjudicate it. Is it automatically advantage because it was a continuation of play or does he get the benefit of the doubt because he was already in the motion of kicking when the whistle went?

We get reamed so often I’m happy to take it and run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back