Preview RND 16 - Carlton v Freo Saturday July 3rd 7.40pm AEST @ MCG - Team - Post #526

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would argue that this doesn't enhance our chances of winning.

It's picking the safest player -- highest floor, lowest ceiling -- rather than picking players who have a greater ceiling but due to being unproven the lowest floor.

If you were picking for increased likelihood of winning you pick the player with the highest ceiling.

Feels like we're in the 1980s'-1990's English cricket team selection period. Pick the team who will lose by the least rather than giving yourself the best chance to win.

That doesn't make much sense to me.

Your elite players are the ones whose high ceiling matters. The bottom 6 are the ones you want consistent, bankable output from.

Levi is in for structure. The same structure that we had prior to last week, and only went away from because of player availability. The smaller forward line worked against Adelaide...just. But that doesn't mean it's the right structure against Freo.

Newman holds his spot after coming on as the sub and performing. No issues there.

Willo is the odd one, on form anyway. But we need a 7th defender and he's been playing down back his whole career while Ramsay has spent some time down there, but more time elsewhere (mid, wing, forward). He's also 22, and plenty have had him pencilled into our future best 22 for a long while. He's hardly Cam O'Shea.

I want to see some more kids rolled through the seniors, for sure. But I can see why these changes were made.

More than anything else, I'd love to corner Luke Power and get his candid thoughts on how "ready" guys like Ramsay and Honey and Kemp are. Maybe it's not even Teague holding then back, maybe it's the development coach doing his job?

The Swans may have 3 captains or 5 if they want - but I'm not a Swans supporter. I'm a Blue and I was simply voicing an opinion which is that I hate the idea of 2 captains. To be clear I am not trying to be provocative. It is simply my opinion and as a lifelong supporter I am allowed to have it.

so you know - I wasn't referencing your opinion either ( although it may have come across as that) - it is a view that many have expressed - my view has changed over the last couple of years to one of total ambivalence. Captains pick themselves as far as on field leadership goes - Clubs tend to pick Captians for reasons at times far remvoed from on field credibility or even relevance - dont need to look too far back in our history to see that.

Inspirational changes from our brave MC this week. Am I imagining Teague talking in pressers earlier this season about rewarding vfl form? I’m intrigued about what the requirements are now for selection as we've had a few smalls/ mids showing good vfl form and we pick the one that's shown zilch since his last chance.

C'mon mate, we need Levi in the team as a second target - especially as jsos can't provide one (different story if gov was playing instead of him)

On CPH1877 using BigFooty.com mobile app

How many marks inside 50 did we take last week?

There is absolutely no good reason for Levi to play. We were better off with JSOS rucking and being active roving to the oppo ruck and the forward line functioned so much better without him. More movement, better entries.

Anyone who’s watched bad coaching before can see this for what it is - system over players. Great coaches adjust their system to suit the talent. Bad coaches just run their system. Teague clearly is a very bad coach.

Honey and Ramsay have plenty of time on their hands, some fans need to chill and back our boys and coach in for a change

Do they though?
Both in their second year, managed 1 game between them. There are a lot of harsh list management calls on players like that, especially if we're bringing in a new Head of Footy or Coach.

How many marks inside 50 did we take last week?

There is absolutely no good reason for Levi to play. We were better off with JSOS rucking and being active roving to the oppo ruck and the forward line functioned so much better without him. More movement, better entries.

Anyone who’s watched bad coaching before can see this for what it is - system over players. Great coaches adjust their system to suit the talent. Bad coaches just run their system. Teague clearly is a very bad coach.

Who did we play against last week?

Who are we playing against this week?

Are they the same? If not, why would you assume that the structure that worked last week will be as effective this week?

Levi is an obligatory inclusion great mark and nice penetrating field kick, will lead ruck otherwise TDK will be squashed by S. Darcy one of the competition in form rucks & Lobb is a giant with beautiful kick and mark, so no choice really and Williamson has athleticism for the G.

Who did we play against last week?

Who are we playing against this week?

Are they the same? If not, why would you assume that the structure that worked last week will be as effective this week?

I assume after watching Levi for the last 24 months that he offers this team nothing.

It’s a fair assumption because it’s been in front of us on a weekly basis.

If you think he’s a net positive I’d suggest the one with the challenge re: assumptions is not me- on available evidence.

And if you also think, based on available evidence, that this coaching group does any planning on the opposition to create challenges, I’d point you towards the Collingwood and Sydney games. It’s laughable you think they get that deep.

How does this work?

Doesn't "selecting teams to shore up his coaching future" correlate to "selecting teams to maximise winning chance"?

Do we not want to try and win any more?

It's his extremely short-sighted selection policy which is all about trying to save his job, rather than win us a flag, and has us currently sitting 5-9. It's fine to be conservative and go with older players with less potential if you're winning.
But we've butchered the season, and he isn't changing it up at all.

He should be coaching for the future of the club, rather than his own personal future. And although it might be shocking for some, taking care of the former would be beneficial to the latter.

View attachment 1168500

I'm guessing it wouldn't be very often that a reserves player gets promoted the week after the term "he'll bounce back" is used to describe their game.
Pretty sure Teague read this positive school report style write up and took it as fact. Bringing willo back as he’s sure to bounce back and have a good one this week. About the only explanation that makes any sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's his extremely short-sighted selection policy which is all about trying to save his job, rather than win us a flag, and has us currently sitting 5-9. It's fine to be conservative and go with older players with less potential if you're winning.
But we've butchered the season, and he isn't changing it up at all.

He should be coaching for the future of the club, rather than his own personal future. And although it might be shocking for some, taking care of the former would be beneficial to the latter.

Would it, though?

Bolton kept coaching for the future when the club clearly wanted immediate results, and it cost him his job.

Maybe Teague is just trying to deliver the results he's being told to deliver.

Would it, though?

Bolton kept coaching for the future when the club clearly wanted immediate results, and it cost him his job.

Maybe Teague is just trying to deliver the results he's being told to deliver.

No, Bolton went off the rails, lost sight that winning is still important, and lost the players. Losing the players is not coaching for the future.

Teague has failed to deliver the results he should be. He should have worked out that it's failing (we're 5-9 ffs) and reassessed the best way to go forward. But instead he's doubled down on a failing path.

Not enough love for Levi poor bloke was flogged beyond reason and played injured for 6 weeks - if he is fit now- watch him play a good role.

Yeah, he has clearly struggled this year due to the knee, but he was actually pretty good in the 2s two weeks ago, and 100% would have played last week were it not for his suspension.

All Levi does is drag his opponent into contests with Harry and miss crucial shots

Harry plays better with a second tall next to him. It helps structurally. I love JSOS but he doesn’t command that respect from opposition defenders, Jack Martin goes well as he is strong overhead but he isn’t enough.

We need Levi to recapture a bit of that early 2020 form. Reports suggest he did well in the 2s before suspension.

If I was playing on Levi I would be double teaming H and leaving Levi on his own … seriously what’s the worst that could happen ? … Lol
If the opposition can have 2-3 blokes sitting on Harry every time we go forward then that's 3-4 goals a game less to our score based on his 2021 output. Without Charlie and Gov its not realistic to expect someone(s) going to pick up the slack regularly to make the difference let alone kick a big enough score to win. Its far from ideal especially given how poorly Casboult has played this season, but until those two come back (or even McDonald) there isn't much choice. Whether or not it is a list issues or just plain bad luck with injuries is a topic for another discussion board.

I am happy with the changes as I really don’t want a two week dead cat review bounce only to be stuck with Teague next year. These sort of selections should highlight how out of touch Teague has become.

Levi was always going to play

It’s a shame about Fisher not being ready

Willo is a like for like I guess
Doc spot on the wing gets taken by Nenwes (go figure)

Newman the 7th defender at least means SPS stays as a mid/HFF

Honey to get the vest….hopefully

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back