Preview RND 16 - Carlton v Freo Saturday July 3rd 7.40pm AEST @ MCG - Team - Post #526

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No reason why this game shouldn't be another win - in fact every game from here should be a win - ladder positions mean nothing as every week shows with so called 'bottom teams' beating higher placed teams. It is all up to the players and Teague's selections and which side on the day wants it more.

People seem to have given up on the season - I am not giving up - and if the side can't perform according to the quality of the list on offer- that's all on the coaching staff's ability to get the best out of the team - the second half of the season isnt going to be masked by so-called inability to beat so-called 'finals sides' - Melbourne wasn't in anyone's definite finals contention basket let alone ladder leader at the start of the season. Not many would have picked St Kilda to beat Richmond or Hawthorn to beat GWS...

The only 'weak' links in the game against Adelaide were too many forwards missing regulation 35 meter set shots - SOJ/Fogarty are standout examples of blokes who choke, Martin is not far behind and OWies was disappointing a couple of times as well - marring his previously exemplary record - two weeks in a row now. No point in having forwards who aren't even 50/50 chance of kicking regulation goals - it sucks the life out of the work ethic of everyone else in the side.

No excuses.
What about McKay.
He missed some sitters

What about McKay.
He missed some sitters

He did - but he has some excuse given the amount of 'work' that defenders put into him - the concentration on Harry allows for other 'forwards' to find space and get their opportunities - which they tend to miss way too often and is one the major reasons along with low skilled contested work - why every game is a slog - scoring big leads is more a fluke than a systematic outcome for Carlton - which is why they get reduced fairly easily - all the time.

Looked much better without Pittonet/Casboult getting in the way and buggering things up.
Silvagni is a competitor and can give the King a chop out when needed.

Fisher >>> Fogarty
Honey >>> Murphy
Ramsay >>> Newnes

Fogarty unfortunately can’t kick and it’ll cost him.

I reckon a more fit Casboult would have enabled our forward line to work a lot better. A TDK/Casboult duo would be good - yet to see it in 2021

He did - but he has some excuse given the amount of 'work' that defenders put into him - the concentration on Harry allows for other 'forwards' to find space and get their opportunities - which they tend to miss way too often and is one the major reasons along with low skilled contested work - why every game is a slog - scoring big leads is more a fluke than a systematic outcome for Carlton - which is why they get reduced fairly easily - all the time.
But the amount of work opposition defenders put into him shouldn't have anything to do with his goalkicking once he actually marks the ball.
Unless you're suggesting the effort he puts into leading and marking effects his ability to kick afterwards.

OUT - Murphy, Fog *sub*
IN - Newman, Fish (Honey if not available)

If Williams is suspended, knowing our luck he will be, then I'd be bringing in Ramsay.

I'd also be interested in seeing a TDK/Levi ruck combination, but I don't know who he'd come in for. Newnes would be very stiff.

Do we bring Levi in this week, or use the JSOS/Weiters/Cripps/Harry ruck rotation instead?
Think TDK went fine alone yesterday.
Same amount of hitouts as O'Brien and more than a few cleareances

Do we bring Levi in this week, or use the JSOS/Weiters/Cripps/Harry ruck rotation instead?

Almost certainly, if his fitness is back.

Not only did we lack a second ruck option, we desperately lacked a second tall threat up forward. De Koning isn't there yet, Silvagni can't mark above his head and Cripps pushing forward has also offered nothing this year.

Casboult at 75% fitness answers both of those questions, as well as being a bit physical threat that can further stretch am undermanned Freo defence. He might only kick 1 goal and provide a solid contest in the ruck but that's substantial.

I reckon Fogarty needs a spell and a head check after missing those late chances. Would probably bring Casboult and Fisher back. Murphy and Fogarty out. Could possibly also push Silvagni to the injury sub and play Newman as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You left McKay off the list. At times his inaccuracy at important moments has cost dearly.
Silvagni, yes, it would be nice if he took more marks and kicked a few more goals, but he creates contests to allow smaller players to get the ball if they are good enough.
Not worried about Owies, he has been very good.
It is all about confidence. If the team was winning regularly then the forwards and the other players would take their chances, having confidence in their team mates to get the job done without worrying too much about the consequences.

Isn't this the round Charlie Curnow was slated to return?

I hate to shatter the illusion but out injury reports are a marketing tool, not any real reflection of our injury situation. It's designed to be a talking point mid week and offer hope (Wow - we might suvk now but when Charkie comes back after the bye we might be OK. LOL). rather than provide accurate info.

On any given week, expect at least one mystery injury to be left off the report (you will find out on Thursday when the teams are selected). 1-2 weeks typically means a month, and expect players to sit on 3-4 weeks for as many as 3 months.

Curnow is now listed as 4-6 weeks, for example. A month ago he was 3-4, and earlier in the year he was supposed to be back after the bye. I think it is extremely unlikely that he plays this year.

But the amount of work opposition defenders put into him shouldn't have anything to do with his goalkicking once he actually marks the ball.
Unless you're suggesting the effort he puts into leading and marking effects his ability to kick afterwards.

Yep - He looks buggered every time he needs to take a shot , but does have definite issues to adress with longer shots from the right side of the ground. A genuine goal kicking forward liek Charlie or McGovern when they come back in no doubt will see Harry's effectveness increase. That said teh bloek is leading teh Coleman - and carrying too many forwards who can;t kick easy set shots and are always looking tohand off responsibility for taking a shot in general play - hwo many times a game do we over handball from 30 meters out? Needed to be adressed - take Eddie and Harry out and we have no semi -reliable kicks at all , even Owies is missing them from in front now.

Will be interesting if they select Casboult this week given he had a good game in the 2'd last week and is back from suspension. We know Teague prefers the taller forward line however i felt an extra runner around the ground really helped us defensively yesterday.

Would love to see Ramsey and Honey come in although doubt they'll get the call up.

Nope, no excuse for Harry. That’s his bread and butter and absolutely needs to work on it continuously.
He’s had some shockers this year that have cost us.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nope, no excuse for Harry. That’s his bread and butter and absolutely needs to work on it continuously.
He’s had some shockers this year that have cost us.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He is leading the Coleman - his 'cost' to us is on the head of all the chokers bludging on Harry and Eddie who don't do the basics - let alone shoulder what Harry does week in week out - that is my call based on week in week out mentally weak efforts on the part of 3 serial offenders. If you want to blame Harry for the sides losses- go ahead.

Isn't this the round Charlie Curnow was slated to return?
The last update from the club was the 16th of June suggesting he needs at least month of training, so at that time 4-6 weeks. Given that's 2 weeks ago he'd 2-4 weeks.

Just my opinion but I think in 3 weeks he'll be playing a qtr to a half of a VFL game.

The balance is good. Levi can remain in the 2s
forever
Still think we need more help for TDK. Crippa and Jack Silvagni might do the odd call up but not more than a couple of times a game. I'd rather Liam Jones help in ruck and have someone else tall down back. Way too early for Kemp to be doing that but if Mitch McGovern ever got back he needs to be tried down back more and not up forward as he does so little up there that he unbalances our forward half like Levi does. But I think we could take Jones from key defence to help in ruck for 5 to 10 minutes a few times a game. But we need someone to play key defence and that last chance saloon for Mitch to be part of the 22, if he ever going to be. Marchbank out for season so he should put his hand up for it when he next fit. But I think what will happen, whilst Charlie Curnow still not back, is when Pittonet is back he will play and we will use TDK a bit more up forward and they split ruck work 50-50.
No Levi or Mitch up forward as it much better balance not having them there messing balance up. Only time either should get any more chances is only down back.

Looked much better without Pittonet/Casboult getting in the way and buggering things up.
Silvagni is a competitor and can give the King a chop out when needed.

Fisher >>> Fogarty
Honey >>> Murphy
Ramsay >>> Newnes

Fogarty unfortunately can’t kick and it’ll cost him.

Ive lost count of how many times I’ve seen Fog kick these weird half pass / half shot kicks.

If he and JSOS keep missing shots and killing momentum, they can’t play at half forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back