Preview RND 16 - Carlton v Freo Saturday July 3rd 7.40pm AEST @ MCG - Team - Post #526

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What an unbalanced team out there.
My concern is who is going to win the ball?? Unless cripps and Walsh have blinders…there aren’t many others out the who can win the ball in a contested situation consistently.
Zero midfield.

cripps - gun
Walsh - gun
Kennedy - hope he continues his good form, the wet might help his concrete boots.
Dow - not fit / strong enough yet to win the ball consistently
SPS - worst contested player in league and somehow still not fit enough for midfield
Stocker - fit enough yet? Hope so
Newnes - outside runner
Curnow - great tough tagger
Fog - half forward

rest of team are flankers and KPP.

Don’t see many players out there to win the ball. Combined with our coaching panel which for some reason is happy for players to sit back and not go the pill….I sense a pretty easy loss coming up.

What an unbalanced team out there.
My concern is who is going to win the ball?? Unless cripps and Walsh have blinders…there aren’t many others out the who can win the ball in a contested situation consistently.
Zero midfield.

cripps - gun
Walsh - gun
Kennedy - hope he continues his good form, the wet might help his concrete boots.
Dow - not fit / strong enough yet to win the ball consistently
SPS - worst contested player in league and somehow still not fit enough for midfield
Stocker - fit enough yet? Hope so
Newnes - outside runner
Curnow - great tough tagger
Fog - half forward

rest of team are flankers and KPP.

Don’t see many players out there to win the ball. Combined with our coaching panel which for some reason is happy for players to sit back and not go the pill….I sense a pretty easy loss coming up.
We won the contested footy last week against a side with Crouch, Laird and Sloane. We belted Freo in contested footy and clearances in round three without Kennedy. They have Fyfe back, so undoubtedly they'll fare better in this regard however it shouldn't be all that concerning. I agree, there are issues with selection but I feel like we have the best available On-ball brigade right now, with Martin and Williams the two obvious ones who I'd like to see go through there more who just won't this week.

I'm just hoping it allows Harry to get more one on ones, assuming Harry pulls his finger out and works hard enough to take advantage of it.
I reckon harry is a little mentally down after being absolutely scragged for the last few weeks.

Was starting to get the calls other forwards were and consequently getting his 7 or 8 shots at goal.

He was tackled on the lead 3 or 4 times last game and the whistle went away. The defenders are being allowed to play '95 SOS defence on him and him alone. Bloody disgrace.

If he continued to get the calls he was getting, he would be miles ahead and probably not so down.

Keeps presenting to dangerous positions but so many arm chops and holds not being paid.

Ramsay one good game in the VFL, chuck the kid in everyone says. How about we see a block of decent games before promoting a young kid.

Honey did nothing last week, and has been relatively quiet for most games this year. He bobs up for a few goals. We want to see him dominant at VFL before at throw him to the wolves.

Willo in a bit strange, is like for like though so hopefully he goes ok.

It wasn't one good game for Ramsay, he's been in good form, was travelling emergency 2 weeks ago, and our best last week.

General sentiment from supporters is that it's a bad selection. You're the wrong one, regardless of what you'd like to believe. As I said, I'm sure Pav sighed when he saw this.
And I am 100% sure that as a professional consultant that he wouldn't. Your whining and petulance (let alone hoping that "your team" gets beaten by 10 goals to help you prove a point) marks you as a a supporter that we might be better off without despite your previous employment in an elite European sporting body.

That's it from me in response to you. Feel free to have a free hit back because I won't be responding to you. I have better things to do.

Willo has p and v, which our team sorely lacks, but he is just so unaccountable defensively and makes huge blunders with ball in hand. Dumb inclusion.

To play devils advocate, Newy was very good for us last week so earned his promotion - especially with Zac out.

Levi straightens us up and while I was a fan of the Jack in the ruck support role, we're leaving too much to Harry. We saw how that went last time we rolled with him alone as a tall and went down. Hopefully with the week off and a confidence-building game in the twos, Levi plays more like his pre-2021 self i.e. not just a warm body. He's likely been brought in to combat the combo of Darcy and Lobb to avoid killing TDK physically.

Willo I don't have a good answer for. Really disappointed not to see Ramsay or Honey in with Doc and Murphy going out. Understand Parks' chances drying up for now but Willo by all accounts didn't really earn his promotion. I'm going to assume that this will further release SPS and maybe Stock up the field, which can only be a good thing for us from a net-gain/loss point of view.

But as always, once the siren goes, I will support the 23 that suit up and give them the benefit of the doubt.

If we turn up with the same effort across the board and play for each other, we're capable of coming away with the four points.

You "hope we lose by 10 goals".

sh*t attitude.

sh*t supporter. If supporter is even the right word.
100% with you here, BB. We can voice our disagreement but should still support the club. Teague is under immense pressure - more than any of us would be able to understand, I'm sure - and is still our coach.

And if tdk were to get injured early?
This isn't how you select a team or coach sport.

Maybe the Australian cricket team should go into the first ashes test with 2 wicket keepers and 5 fast bowlers in case someone gets injured.

Who needs batsmen right, weve gotta be prepared for injury. Much more important than team balance...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Outside of Betts and Owies which other forward are you confident on Kicking for goal.
This is a major problem at our club costing us many games, the addition of Casboult compounds the issue.
We missed our opportunity here the opposition are playing three players under the age of twenty we have none.

I have no problem with Casboult. Newman was good last week. It's Williamson who does not deserve an opportunity. Was poor in his AFL games and was criticised by the coaches in VFL last week. Yet gets a game on merit? Please.

Just because people have liked him in the past doesn't mean he has the runs on the board now.

Joke of a selection of someone who should be an easy delisting candidate.
While I agree with your summary on Willo, Wick... I think he has enough runs on the board and still has something to show that he deserves a chance on our list going forward.

Pick Levi as the Sub.
Not hard
Don't get me wrong. I believe that Levi should be in the team for the following reasons;
1) if going well should be good for a couple of goals.
2) chop out for a young tdk who is facing a young man mountain in Darcy and may well get battered.
3) if they get their patterns correct allows Harry more freedom and less chance of being double teamed.
4) hoping that he is finally over his knee issues and able to play with the freedom that he showed early last season when Gerard healy kept referring to him as a sneaky all Australian chance.
5) he generally will injure one opposition player every fortnight in general play that limits their involvement in the rest of the game.

Being insurance in case of no 1 ruckman getting injured ranks lower than all of the above, but is still something that we need to be aware of. I'll never forget the night that kreuze did his knee against freo and Brett Thornton had to ruck against Sandi all night o_O

And if an on baller got injured early? Face the wrath if this board by having an out of whack team.
Not easy.
No one here is on the selection committee. Maybe the 15 game TDK is a bit sore after playing against a mature ruck like O'Reilly last week and the match committee made a list of who could realistically help him out against Sean Darcy and Rory Lobb.

Pittonet - Injured
Mirkov - injured
Oscar MacDonald - Injured
Levi Casboult - available

Last edited:
No one here is on the selection committee. Maybe the 15 game TDK is a bit sore after playing against a mature ruck like O'Reilly last week and the match committee made a list of who could realistically help him out against Sean Darcy and Rory Lobb.

Pittonet - Injured
Mirkov - injured
Tom MacDonald - Injured
Levi Casboult - available
I'd love to have Tom McDonald on our list...

I thought Levi played most of the early season injured due to our lack of tall options?

To then complain about his output when he was playing in this condition to help the team is a little tough. I think in pervious seasons his output as the second ruck and forward/defender has been fine. I would back this selection in, now that he has had some time to hopefully get over his injury issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back