Preview Rnd 16 - Carlton v Sydney Tues 8th Sept 8.10pm AEST @ Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Murphy's turnovers stand out more because more often then not they're outside possessions.
Walsh, Curnow, Kennedy and to a lesser extend Cripps get the ball in congestion and slam it on the boot for a clearance / to gain meters, Murphy's had a lot of ball on the wing this year where he's attempted to pinpoint a pass going forward, and directed it straight to the opposition player.
Most of Walshes are uncontested possessions that are not just slammed on the boot for a clearance.

As an ex-forward myself I'll go McGovern.

Really interested in how he presents, chases, positioning etc. We know he doesn't get a lot of it, but sometimes there are reasons and things he does that don't register on the stats sheet. Crashing packs etc.

Diesel telling it like it is.

None of that, "he's only 20 be patient" stuff.

He worked with the kid, he knows him better than any of us and he is saying he's too soft.

Onus is on Paddy to turn that around or he can kiss his AFL career goodbye because no club will persevere with that display.

Diesel serenading Paddy with the song from Mulan. If that doesn't fire him up, nothing will.

Even when they play A grade games they still get needled.

Sometimes certain errors stand out. Maybe Murphy missing multiple tackles is really just one tackle. Maybe Plowman gives up goals while trying to cover for others or just being left one out in a poor matchup that nobody else can do.

People could think I'm a bit of a whacko, I've been thinking we should use the remaining games to send some players back to school, as well as get games into players like Owies and TDK (given their form is at least at a decent level), which I'm glad to see they've done.

I'd like to see SPS played as an accountable mid. Not a hard tagger, but someone who is responsible for one of the oppositions prime movers, in a Ed Curnow kind of mould or Touk Miller style. I think he's lost his way a bit down back and having someone take him into the clinches and more importantly, to the ball could reinvigorate him. When we get on the spread offensively, he needs to learn how to work hard to get dangerous and we need to use him. I think he needs to learn the value of working hard on and off the ball and this could be good for him.

I'd like to see us play with a little more freedom, rather than regimented. It annoys me to see a player run away from an unmanned player with the ball to catch their opponent. Shut the ball down first and hope if they dispose of it, it is under pressure and off target.

Really interested in how he presents, chases, positioning etc. We know he doesn't get a lot of it, but sometimes there are reasons and things he does that don't register on the stats sheet. Crashing packs etc.
The thing this year I feel we are only getting half the picture. Normally I would see most of the games live from an elevated position and can see the running patterns, the players who give up on the chase and the unrewarded running that opens the game up for team mates. Missing that this year and as a result I am reluctant to be too critical of players this year.

Awesome. I like the latter stat particularly. So these aren't just inefficient disposals, but they end up in the hands of the opposition. Not a great thing for Doc and Simmo given where they play. What we can see is that experienced players tend to keep their inefficient disposals to an area where the ball won't be turned over as much. So probably kicks towards the boundary or contests that can be nullified. I'm seeing Walsh increasingly getting better at this. Sometimes you just have to gain territory and get the ball out of the danger zone. For the midfielders, these would be some indiscriminate forward 50 entries, but we are better getting the ball in the hands of Cripps and Murphy when outside 50. Experience counts.
I think Doc in particular takes on more aggressive kicks, which might explain his turnovers in a sense, but it’s clearly something he’ll be working on over the summer. I agree that Walsh has improved his disposal and decision making markedly over the last 2 months, he’s very quickly become somebody that I trust more than most with ball in hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Murphy's turnovers stand out more because more often then not they're outside possessions.
Walsh, Curnow, Kennedy and to a lesser extend Cripps get the ball in congestion and slam it on the boot for a clearance / to gain meters, Murphy's had a lot of ball on the wing this year where he's attempted to pinpoint a pass going forward, and directed it straight to the opposition player.
Murphy's stand out because they are momentum killers. Uncontested/passing into the 50 to a leading forward with a dinky kick that hits the turf 5m in front of the forward.

7 per game... so...
So.... contested possessions lead to turnovers. Kinda makes my point.
Murphy has less contested possessions, meaning his turnovers look more damning.
If you're going to play an outside role, you need to be clean.

Last edited:
So.... contested possessions lead to turnovers. Kinda makes my point.
Murphy has less contested possessions, meaning his turnovers look more damning.
If you're going to play an outside role, you need to be clean.
Which Walsh does... he only has 1 more contested possession a game than Murph

Last edited:
I'd like to see us play with a little more freedom, rather than regimented. It annoys me to see a player run away from an unmanned player with the ball to catch their opponent. Shut the ball down first and hope if they dispose of it, it is under pressure and off target.

Isn't it shocking to see us (and I guess other sides) let an opponent stream freely past them because they are covering a certain portion of "the structure" or following the modern team rules. Absolutely makes me cringe and at times, rage.

The other one that seems to be mandated in our side lately is a more controlled, corralling style rather than trying to tackle the ball carrier. I think this is having a bit each way for the reason of not wanting to be beaten 1-on-1 that affects other structures in place. It's chicken and egg. Bloody frustrating.

Which Walsh does... he only has 1 more contested possession a game than Murph
c99781a0ab356681cb038f70b1df68f1.jpg

There's a few more at that level too, Cripps, Doc, Betts, Fish to name a few.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
You're a great team player :thumbsu:

But I don't agree.
Those blokes get the ball and then work out where to go.
Walsh and Weitering already know what to do when they move to position to win or receive the ball. Gibbons sometimes too.
It's great to watch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back