Game Day Rnd 16: Derby 50 - West Coast vs Fremantle

Astro7

Official Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
South Of Dreamsville
AFL Club
West Coast
Been a lot of complaints post-derby, about Eagles supporters bad behaviour during and after the game, talkback radio (not always a grounded discussion or medium) and on Freo board. The usual 'arrogance' is rolled out, along with abusive language on public transport etc. The Harry Highpants episode also perceived as arrogance and disrespect towards Freo. (I didn't see it like that, I thought it was just a 'guys prank' amongst themselves?).
We bang on about arrogance here, including myself, but it's tongue-in-cheek, self-mocking, ironic. Are the Eagles in danger again of being perceived as arrogant and hated by the general footy world and media, as we near the finals? I think Simmo does a good job of hosing this down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DanWCE

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Been a lot of complaints post-derby, about Eagles supporters bad behaviour during and after the game, talkback radio (not always a grounded discussion or medium) and on Freo board. The usual 'arrogance' is rolled out, along with abusive language on public transport etc. The Harry Highpants episode also perceived as arrogance and disrespect towards Freo. (I didn't see it like that, I thought it was just a 'guys prank' amongst themselves?).
We bang on about arrogance here, including myself, but it's tongue-in-cheek, self-mocking, ironic. Are the Eagles in danger again of being perceived as arrogant and hated by the general footy world and media, as we near the finals? I think Simmo does a good job of hosing this down.
Gov and TB pulled up their pants after pulling down Freos pants.

Fletcher25

All Australian
May 30, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
IDGAF. Freo suck. Premiers 2018 wooo

RookiePick

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
They do indeed, but they also still have multiple jabronies making their 22 every week, and that is always going to make winning difficult.
18 teams, salary caps. Every side has jabronies "role players" in the 22.

It's just that RTB coaches like that under 12's coach desperately trying to vicariously win that flag - by trying as much as possible to not let the weaker kids touch the footy and make sure they stay out of the gun players way.

If your bottom 6 or 7 players buy into their role and feel like they are an integral part of what is driving the team success you start to play some high standard footy.

Luuuc

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx
Freo can't dish up an inept performance like that in Derby 50 - a home game at that - and expect any form of respect. They were pathetic.
I'm not one of the majority who hates them as a club or anything like that, I don't troll their board or look to stir up drama, but it is such typical Freo behaviour to have an obvious problem in-house and respond to it by lashing out at anyone who points it out.

Anyone who is fair dinkum about getting better at something would own up to their failing and start fixing it rather than worrying about what someone else is saying.

RookiePick

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Nicky Dal asking Naita if he enjoyed playing back in front of a home crowd was wery good.

Still smile thinking about that burn, even if it was accidental.

Brer Bear

All Australian
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Classic case of sour grapes and deflection.

Farang83150

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2010
Chalong 83130
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Demons)
The same respect freo supporters showed their own team by flooding out the gates so early?

Fletcher25

All Australian
May 30, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
18 teams, salary caps. Every side has jabronies "role players" in the 22.

It's just that RTB coaches like that under 12's coach desperately trying to vicariously win that flag - by trying as much as possible to not let the weaker kids touch the footy and make sure they stay out of the gun players way.

If your bottom 6 or 7 players buy into their role and feel like they are an integral part of what is driving the team success you start to play some high standard footy.
My grandfather always said a team is only as good as the bottom 5 players. The good teams never have a weak link. All it takes for a player to be good, if nothing else, is a determination to run hard and make a contest.

I won the coveted Auskick coach of the year award in 2012 for the mighty Whitford's Jaguar's under 8's team (hear us roar) and I made those smelly little turds run so hard they cried for their mums every tuesday and thursday night.

I was sacked as coach the following year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Astro7

Official Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
South Of Dreamsville
AFL Club
West Coast
IDGAF. Freo suck. Premiers 2018 wooo
Cool? I'd rather belong to a club that was respected for it's football skills, not hated for it's anti-social behaviour, like some soccer club/hooligans?
Freo can't dish up an inept performance like that in Derby 50 - a home game at that - and expect any form of respect. They were pathetic.
I'm not one of the majority who hates them as a club or anything like that, I don't troll their board or look to stir up drama, but it is such typical Freo behaviour to have an obvious problem in-house and respond to it by lashing out at anyone who points it out.
Anyone who is fair dinkum about getting better at something would own up to their failing and start fixing it rather than worrying about what someone else is saying.
Hmm, the club and its coach have problems no doubt, but I think anti-social behaviour falls outside of all that, regardless of how good or bad Freo is doing, a smokescreen or deflection - anti-social behaviour is what it is, ugly! I'm not taking any moral high ground but I think it needs to be called out for what it is, not acceptable! I'm as passionate and vocal as any supporter, and can dish the dirt on Freo/other teams, (mainly my TV cops it!) but at the end of the cliched day, it is only a game of footy, it is only sport. We're not mortal enemies!? We're adults right? :rolleyes:
Anyway, I'm packing up my soapbox now and moving along....right, Collingwood?

Brolga

Grumpy Old Git
Nov 20, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
We can recycle the Melbourne Prelim Final jokes...

In Derby 50, Ross the Boss sent the Dockers team out in each half with just one goal in mind.

Also, I wonder if Cripps gets a player imposed penalty as the only person to score a behind after quarter time? (other 2 were rushed)

The Stid

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins
AF426C76-ED96-419D-BBE9-B6AD854C6105.gif

HoneyBadger35

Friends, Family, Flex
Aug 11, 2011
Gaffy's Dojo
AFL Club
West Coast
We can recycle the Melbourne Prelim Final jokes...

In Derby 50, Ross the Boss sent the Dockers team out in each half with just one goal in mind.

Also, I wonder if Cripps gets a player imposed penalty as the only person to score a behind after quarter time? (other 2 were rushed)
Was literally uncontested over the back in the goal square too. Staggering miss.

woosha24

Premium Platinum
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
What complaints post-derby? From sooky Freo fans upset that some West Coast supporters were a little too jubilant(Masto) after the game, maybe? If half of the "incidents" are actually true and not just made up for internet likes then you'd have to say that we have a pretty stellar crowd. For example, im yet to hear about a West Coast fan laying out a female cop at the game.

As for the "Harry Highpants" stuff, I say well effin done by Barrass/ Gov. Showing the country that we don't take Derbies any more seriously than a regular game, and that they're out there having fun. If its "disrespectful" to Freo then all the better - why the f*ck should we care about how offended they are after a Derby flogging? Maybe next time they'll show us a little respect in Derby 51 and actually show up for once?

EDIT: apparently "b*tthurt" gets auto-modded to "offended"? WTF is wrong with this forum? Are we children?

Top Bottom