Game Day Rnd 16: Derby 50 - West Coast vs Fremantle

new breed

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Really Fremantle should fold , the Kanga's become the Joondalup Kangaroos ...we start again Fremantle have had 25 years at this caper and quite honestly I've had enough its time to go .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wild Kelly

Team Captain
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
The f*ck's going on here? Are we seriously starting a fight about "feeling bad" for Freo?

Astro you've been here long enough to know that we dont tolerate sympathy for the purps round these parts. Their sh*t organisation doesnt warrant infighting.
I think we have found where Vishy borrowed his purple scarf......

Brer Bear

All Australian
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't feel sorry for the purple floggos. Let's not forget the way they carried on during their little Derby streak. How they fu** up our game day threads over umpiring.. How they celebrate our losses... The vitriol towards Gaff... Comparing us to Nazis... wishing injuries on our players and basically trying to convince neutrals that we are the bad guys. Nah fu** them we all know how they would have acted if we lost the GF.

new breed

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
The West is campaigning against Rossy Lyon , tomorrow its more of the same ......
Really under the pump now is Ross .

MIKE85

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2012
PERTH
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't feel sorry for the purple floggos. Let's not forget the way they carried on during their little Derby streak. How they fu** up our game day threads over umpiring.. How they celebrate our losses... The vitriol towards Gaff... Comparing us to Nazis... wishing injuries on our players and basically trying to convince neutrals that we are the bad guys. Nah fu** them we all know how they would have acted if we lost the GF.

Hmm, solid argument, I may be swayed back the other way already! I do remember in 2012 I think, they beat the Cats in that final, and I was like, good for you, and then by the time their next game came around against the crows, I was so ready for them for them to fail again. Old habits die hard I guess. The few Freo supporters that I know well and deal with day to day, are normal people, and good enough dudes (terrible choice of footy team) but maybe it's those ones that I feel sorry for. I just didn't get the level of enjoyment out of their Melt thread after the Derby that I thought I would, it was just such a downer!!

Shuestar13

Club Legend
Aug 31, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Zero sympathy for them. Zero.
It may be harsh, but seriously. Look back at their existence and where they are now as a club is light years from how bad they were before.

They are financially stable enough, certainly more so than many of the legacy VFL clubs, Brisbane and their feral South Australian counterparts. They have by all accounts excellent facilities and the alignment with Peel has been a reasonably successful one.
They have some good talent on the list and have finally been able to attract some KPF’s! Plus a wonderful leader and captain. Things aren’t all bad there!

I do fret that Ross is starting to come under fire. I don’t know why, I think he is doing a brilliant job and should stay for a long time to come :)

Zero sympathy. We all know how insufferable they are during their brief interludes in the upper echelon of the ladder, plus their propensity to get confident and brash at the slightest hint of success for them and failure for us. We have seen during this season for example!
No, no sympathy at all! :)

KO_KO

Club Legend
Sep 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mighty Falcons & Biggie
A few have mentioned the pity they felt for Freo fans, I actually felt the same. Now I'm a freo hater, always have been, went for a quick lurk Saturday night for a laugh, and honestly, it was quite sad. I did feel sorry for them. We know what it feels like (not on the same level) to be s**t, and angry, and wondering why we bother. I felt that way after the 2016 EF. I was so pi**ed, I couldn't get over the feeling that I cared more than the players.

It's all fun to have a laugh at them, but this felt different, and I didn't like it. I like a bit of banter, but it just feels wrong, like picking on a cripple. Hopefully they can get their s**t together, and we can actually have a good rivalry built on close tough games with genuine meaning.
You over it yet?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jeeves

Club Legend
Jul 27, 2008
In enemy territory.
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Perth Wildcats
And the behaviour exhibited by Brad Hill. Couldn't have been any more disrespectful to his coach if he had slapped him.

And it also goes to show the gulf between our great club and their sorry excuse for a footy brand. Not even at our lowest point did we have players openly show such hostility to a sitting head coach. Even Judge was treated politely. They are well and truly the definition of a rabble.
What did Hill do?

Royalbeagle

Rookie
Jun 11, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Perhaps a kind of ressentiment there for fans. At the end of the day though, who really doesn't just want to see the WA teams both do well? It's the funnest thing ever to ruin the Vics GF party :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ConcreteWaters

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2014
Edinburgh
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Prescot Cables
A bit random, but I never understood the anchor for Freo. I get the whole nautical theme, but anchors are literally designed to sink to the bottom of the ocean and stop a ship from moving. Why would you want that on your branding?
Well, they designed themselves to be the exact opposite of us in every way from the start, so it makes sense :p

Astro7

Official Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
South Of Dreamsville
AFL Club
West Coast
The f*ck's going on here? Are we seriously starting a fight about "feeling bad" for Freo?

Astro you've been here long enough to know that we dont tolerate sympathy for the purps round these parts. Their sh*t organisation doesnt warrant infighting.
Haha, Yeh, I understand all the histrionic hate and mob mentality and teenage emotions, but sometimes I like to act my age and not my shoe size. It's good to be able to discuss a topic objectively from time to time. No, I don't feel bad for Freo, I don't support them of course, but I do support a rational discussion occasionally (rare for me I know)...but clearly a rational discussion and Freo don't connect on here for some? Anyway, good to see today's headlines -Freo fans call for Lyons to be sacked! I just dislike his whining smarmy presence on my TV every week, simple stuff!
And Fwiw, while I enjoyed the derby annihilation, we'd like to watch better football than that in the future, wouldn't we?

Luuuc

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx
Zero sympathy for them. Zero.
It may be harsh, but seriously. Look back at their existence and where they are now as a club is light years from how bad they were before.

They are financially stable enough, certainly more so than many of the legacy VFL clubs, Brisbane and their feral South Australian counterparts. They have by all accounts excellent facilities and the alignment with Peel has been a reasonably successful one.
They have some good talent on the list and have finally been able to attract some KPF’s! Plus a wonderful leader and captain. Things aren’t all bad there!

I do fret that Ross is starting to come under fire. I don’t know why, I think he is doing a brilliant job and should stay for a long time to come :)

Zero sympathy. We all know how insufferable they are during their brief interludes in the upper echelon of the ladder, plus their propensity to get confident and brash at the slightest hint of success for them and failure for us. We have seen during this season for example!
No, no sympathy at all! :)
You nailed it.

Off Tap

Club Legend
May 13, 2007
33.4480° S, 151.4445° E
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Kalgoorlie Roos, Subiaco
Haha, Yeh, I understand all the histrionic hate and mob mentality and teenage emotions, but sometimes I like to act my age and not my shoe size. It's good to be able to discuss a topic objectively from time to time. No, I don't feel bad for Freo, I don't support them of course, but I do support a rational discussion occasionally (rare for me I know)...but clearly a rational discussion and Freo don't connect on here for some? Anyway, good to see today's headlines -Freo fans call for Lyons to be sacked! I just dislike his whining smarmy presence on my TV every week, simple stuff!
And Fwiw, while I enjoyed the derby annihilation, we'd like to watch better football than that in the future, wouldn't we?
I'd be more than happy to see them get flogged every time we played them. I like close games but they are the Dockers and total domination is my preference.

When they were up and about in 2015 they were unbareable with their cockiness. Imagine if they actually won something.

Kick them while they are down and keep kicking I say.

AsterixTheGaul

Plucked from the Amos
Sep 12, 2013
15 min water taxi from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Gunners Lakers Scorcher Claremont
With Brad Scott no longer coaching, we really need Lyon to stay at Fremantle. It provides a good supply of comedy, a club that will never score enough to win a flag and improves our chances of 2 x 4 points each year.

Additionally, they seem to attract more than their share of tradable flogs or players with serious injury clouds
- Dawson - just a thug
- Gumbleton - no need to say any more
- Bennell - not a happy story on any front for the Larke Medalist
- McCarthy - well short of a expectations
- Hogan - Melbourne let him go for a reason, could be the foot but who knows
- Lobbs - not put together a full season yet
- Conca - the hit to the back of the GWS player says it all
- Hill and Wilson have been the exceptions and now even Hill wants to leave

eaglesnutcase

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2007
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
soccer rugby union and le
With Brad Scott no longer coaching, we really need Lyon to stay at Fremantle. It provides a good supply of comedy, a club that will never score enough to win a flag and improves our chances of 2 x 4 points each year.

Additionally, they seem to attract more than their share of tradable flogs or players with serious injury clouds
- Dawson - just a thug
You got it Asterix! Lyon is a very defensive coach but hes not their main problem.They should shoot their recruiting staff [ all of them ] and start again.But shhh! I cant tolerate this "hate the Vics " chatter.Im an equal opportunity hater.Nah i was only joshin' i loathe Freo more than anyone.

woosha24

Premium Platinum
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast

- Dawson - just a thug
Don't forget Neale. Recognised the stink of sh*t and left for a "basket case" club in Brisbane - both lamented and mocked by former supporters for doing so. Now he's running around in a Top 4 team pushing for a Brownlow.

Although I suppose he doesn't qualify as much of a flog when standing next to guys like Dawson. I just thought it was funny that their next up and coming superstar and future captain of the club told them to f*ck off.

The Dodger

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Well that is the issue. I believe Lyon will get them back there but they need matureish 24-25 year olds in their prime to maintain that work rate that he demands and to not be pushed out of contested situations.
Left to him I don't think he fully rebuilds I think he keeps topping up with mediocre players in their prime and goes again.
Freo were hell bent on a rebuild and there seem to be that shift away from Ross with the talk of delegating more and him not being in charge of everything at last contract signing. I don't think Ross does that very well.

So the kids they play will get smashed and pushed off the ball until they can physically compete they way he wants them to. Unfortunately this leads to the young players not feeling part of it and it being hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel and from a marketing perspective I think its hard to sell 5 years of shiite while 18-19 years olds get where they need to be. To both the younger players and the other mature players in the team waiting for those younger players to hit the magical mark. So they potentially look at leaving.
Its going to take a lot of patience and i'm not sure a team has that in this day and age.

Ultimately I don't think he will one as his well drilled middle aged team will come against a similar team in its prime who rate skills as much as hard work and its over. Everyone keeps saying but for the bounce of the ball he would be a premiership coach etc well thats because his gameplan lacks the ability to put a really good team away even when dominating them and then unfortunately for them it becomes about the bounce of 1 ball. It happens once its bad luck...it keeps happening there is a trend..."its just a toe poke...its just being more accurate in front of the sticks and we have one".

TLDR - Im happy he is still there and while he will eventually get their team back into finals I still believe they will always come up short against equally good opposition.

Doashuey

Club Legend
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
A bit random, but I never understood the anchor for Freo. I get the whole nautical theme, but anchors are literally designed to sink to the bottom of the ocean and stop a ship from moving. Why would you want that on your branding?
Brutal Honesty?

Top Bottom