fomoco04

1992, 1994, 2006, 2018
Jun 18, 2007
West
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Deportivo, Man U
I appear to be alone here, but I really enjoy the Dockers pre-match stuff. Especially the Taiko drums.

To be fair though I also used to like the big anchor being raised in the middle by the mascot, so maybe I just have poor taste? :D

Well there you go. I’ve finally heard someone say they liked the anchor.

First time for everything I guess. 😁

Just watched the game again, Bit perplexed by the comments re pavlich, thought he was complementing the Eagles throughout the telecast and as for the WC poster saying the hate from King was strong, absolute BS, he was talking up the Eagles constantly and said a couple of times at the end that we're #1 favs for the flag.

Yeah King is a massive fan boi of west coast. He's taking over from Healy

You can be sure that NN will be getting a run On the Couch Monday and 360 on Wednesday

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
Get rid of Lyons Now!! Seriously cringy...Take to the streets, Demo! Protest!
Even Sumich would be better! In good hands with Bell. (hey, even Pav might come on board?)
I wish it were that easy my friend, If our board and our directors had any guts, then they would march into work on Monday and tell Lyon "It's finals or you're gone". Then you'd hope that might light a fire under Lyon and you'd think he'd try and make changes but with him you never know. i want the guy gone but unfortunately the board don't have any guts to sack him.

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
Gave it to the crowd after his third goal, I reckon that's what he was referring to?

Simmo will give him a quiet word I'd have thought. Just let him know that the game can turn quickly, keep a level head.
Probably just a bit of youthful exuberance but as you said Simmo will have a word in his ear to calm it down a bit.

Yeah King is a massive fan boi of west coast. He's taking over from Healy

You can be sure that NN will be getting a run On the Couch Monday and 360 on Wednesday
Kingy is just looking after his old mate Simmo. The successful Norf generation have a lotta love for each other in general.

(DON'T MENTION THE WAR)

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
I wish it were that easy my friend, If our board and our directors had any guts, then they would march into work on Monday and tell Lyon "It's finals or you're gone". Then you'd hope that might light a fire under Lyon and you'd think he'd try and make changes but with him you never know. i want the guy gone but unfortunately the board don't have any guts to sack him.
More than likely it may cost the Club a bit to get rid of Lyon, which could be behind the Board being a bit hesitant in addressing this? At the time can remember being gobsmacked that the FFC gave him a 5 years extension (?) through to the end of 2020. Anything can happen in 5 years!

Sumich from all accounts is a very good day game coach, so could possibly be an alternative and not the silliest idea as understand the main reason for him leaving FFC was he had a fallout with Ross?? Also Suma's roots are originally Freo having played for and coached South Freo.

Not knowing his contract with Collingwood you could always try and bring on board Justin Longmuir as well being originally a Freo player, probably still a bit green for the main coaching role, but could be the goods for an assistants role? Apparently WCE were very sorry to lose him to Collingwood and is very highly regarded at the Pies.

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Kingy is just looking after his old mate Simmo. The successful Norf generation have a lotta love for each other in general.

(DON'T MENTION THE WAR)
Kingy loves Simmo but not as much as Carey loves Anthony Stevens.

LittleGreekGod

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
More than likely it may cost the Club a bit to get rid of Lyon, which could be behind the Board being a bit hesitant in addressing this? At the time can remember being gobsmacked that the FFC gave him a 5 years extension (?) through to the end of 2020. Anything can happen in 5 years!

Sumich from all accounts is a very good day game coach, so could possibly be an alternative and not the silliest idea as understand the main reason for him leaving FFC was he had a fallout with Ross?? Also Suma's roots are originally Freo having played for and coached South Freo.

Not knowing his contract with Collingwood you could always try and bring on board Justin Longmuir as well being originally a Freo player, probably still a bit green for the main coaching role, but could be the goods for an assistants role? Apparently WCE were very sorry to lose him to Collingwood and is very highly regarded at the Pies.
You make some good points and options here.
I personally think that Freo would be much better off moving Lyon on now rather than at seasons end.
With other teams shedding their main coach and maybe a couple to come its going to be very competitive for quality candidates.
So no time like the present if you are in the race for a new coach.
You also mentioned Sumich. I know it may be controversial but he might just consider the role vacated by Rawlings at WC.
Sumich is very experienced, a 2x Premiership Eagle and knows the U18 as well as anyone in the land.
It was Sumich who pleaded for a team to take on Stack last year and he called that one right.
It's just a thought. Would be interested on other opinions.

MrWoollie

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2008
England
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lincoln City Imps, West Perth
Thought I'd come back over to here and give you boys a big round of applause. That game from us was absolutely pathetic and one of the worst I've attended live. The large gap in difference between the organisation of our two clubs is so bad it's funny. You guys were better structured, went after the ball more and didn't kick it to nobody 90% of the time. Sandilands shouldn't have been out there plain and simple (but of course you can't say that on my board) and shouldn't play another game. You're so far ahead of us it's honestly a joke with how we play. Ross Lyon has completely gone and screwed our club over, and the players looked lie they weren't even bothered last night. You guys played with the intent of smashing us, something I wish we brought at times. Well done boys, please smash Collingwood next week so we can watch those arrogant f***ers dig themselves a deeper hole.
Thanks for the honest, well thought out comments.

A few thoughts on Freo.

You are right. The organisation needs a revamp. All too often there seems to be a problem with the left hand and right hand not talking to each other. I remember a couple of years ago, I think it was Johnson, was playing career best football but was told he wasn't getting a contract extension due to age (left hand). In the meantime, older and worse Ballantyne and Sandi were given extensions despite their age (right hand). And Ballas was taking games off a bunch of pretty good young small forwards, while contributing **** all.

Sandipants has been a bit of a favourite of mine (not many at Freo I will admit) for years. Started as a tall useless lump who had no idea. Learnt his trade, improved his tank, started to do a bit around the ground and from 2007-2012 was a top level tap ruck who was handy (not good, handy) around the ground. Injuries and age started tell and he should have been allowed to retire three years ago. But the club keeps putting loyalty/we need you pressure on him to sign on for another year. Let him retire. He's permanently injured and embarrassing his memory. He deserves better from the club.

Pav was a champion and I always admired his loyalty with sticking it out for so long with a club that were absolute pants during most of his time. But he's a crap commentator. Not as biased as Eddie, but pretty bad.

Bell is a step in the right direction, but needs to roll the rest of the club hierarchy.

As someone who has hated all things Fremantle ever since as a kid I went to East Freo oval to watch a game (a small nuclear device on the day would have raised the average IQ of WA significantly, whilst at the same time reducing the feral count by 10000+) I think Lyon should be signed on until 2030. If I was a supporter of Freo, I would want him gone. He brings the worst style to watch of any team. And with the reduced interchange and 6-6-6, he needs to change. I honestly think the Freo list is better than most, but you're not getting anywhere near the best out of it.

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
I like the naming of the players. Scorchers and Glory do it as well, it helps build atmosphere before the bounce.

Wouldn't work at an Eagles game. Could you imagine it? Brad Sheppard *huge cheer* Elliot Yeo *huge cheer* Chris Masten *boooooooooo*

Would be a godawful experience :(

Wouldn't work at an Eagles game. Could you imagine it? Brad Sheppard *huge cheer* Elliot Yeo *huge cheer* Chris Masten *boooooooooo*

Would be a godawful experience :(

Karl Langdon talks about 3 or 4 form players and their stats or milestone players, they focus on them on the big screen whilst they do their warm up. It's good as I can see doing it for 22 players becoming a bit tedious.

Karl Langdon talks about 3 or 4 form players and their stats or milestone players, they focus on them on the big screen whilst they do their warm up. It's good as I can see doing it for 22 players becoming a bit tedious.

I actually quite like that. Gets a big cheer for a few blokes, usually some in form guys and a returning player or a debutant. Takes a minute max, then into the rest of the pre game. Much better than listing 22 names and expecting them all to get a reaction. Even the cheers for players as they collected their premier medals last season fade a little towards the end.

Aug 14, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardiff City
Well, my opinion of Fremantle is yet to be changed since last year:

I actually believe that fremantles side once mature will be awesome. Our proven youth under 24 includes one of the best spines.
Best young ruckman in the league in darcy named in under 22 all Australian side.
The best young key position forward in Hogan.
Behind harris Andrews the best key position back in Alex pearce
Logue and cox play both ends of the ground but are also young talented key position players and a Shannon hurn in luke ryan.

A young midfield cerra, brayshaw, banfield, blakely, Langdon and now valente and sturt.

Basically im very positive about the future.
But im pretty worried about fyfe, walters, steven hill growing to old.

Whoa...

I usually ignore this kind of stuff but this is beyond even trolling.

If you were describing Brisbane I would tend to agree with you; however you said Fremantle for reasons that are fairly absurd.

Hamling is by far your best key defender yet you don't even mention him. A.Pearce by my own rankings is 70th in the league among tall defenders and you are placing him above J.McGovern.

Your club has sold it's future to load up on forwards whilst gutting the midfield and neglecting a poor backline.

The list has a gaping hole in the 21-22 year age bracket. Even if the young talent in your squad develops as hoped, it is likely (especially being a WA club where travel fatigue prematurely curtails careers) that anyone aged 26 or above on your list in 2019 will have retired before the new generation peak.

That would include:
  • Fyfe
  • Mundy
  • S.Hill
  • B.Hill
  • Walters
  • Colyer
  • Matera
  • Conca
  • Bennell
  • Wilson
  • Lobb
  • Hamling
  • Kersten
  • Taberner
The recruitment policy is inherently bipolar - trying to top up whilst conducting a complete rebuild.

If you exclude those who are 28 or older next season, the Fremantle midfield is comparable to Gold Coast's - with a much lower ceiling.

Lyon is now doing what Lyon does - he's selling your future to keep his job. It will get ugly; and that will pale in comparison to how ugly things will get after he leaves and you discover that your list has been completely hollowed out and you need another decade-long rebuild to repair the damage. Just ask the Saints.

Back