Game Day Rnd 16: Derby 50 - West Coast vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would you want Lyon gone? What has it got to do with WCE? Who cares about the Cockburners and what's "bad for" them? How is it "bad for WA footy"?
They are just another AFL club and an opponent to beat.
Yep, I understand all that noise and emotional investment, but I can also step outside of that as well.
I like to try and have a rational conversation, not always but mostly...knock yourself out.

Yep, I understand all that noise and emotional investment, but I can also step outside of that as well.
I like to try and have a rational conversation, not always but mostly...knock yourself out.
You didn't answer any of the questions......do you have an emotional investment at the Cockburners?

I'm sure there are dickheads as there always are, but I didn't see any of that.

If anything there seemed to be a fair bit of sympathy. It was kind of awkward.

I had a chat with a young Freo family while we were waiting at the taxi rank and it just wasn't even fun anymore. Sure I was stoked and smug af, but I tried to keep it under wraps. 'Freo has shown good signs, it's not that bad, developing list'.... but the mum and dad just looked dead inside.

Fremantle have been so terrible, they've actually killed this rivalry.

Much like when you are in a healthy relationship and things are going brilliant and your mate is despondent because they're deeply depressed and chained to an absolute dud. You've been telling them for years that they aren't right for them, they don't respect you, but nothing changes.

It's nice to be right, but you feel for them on a human level.
Well at my work when Carlton won, it was on, workforce of 70.

But this was different. We know they are a rabble, their supporters now it, all of Australia as well.

Just feel pity. No point in rubbing it in.

You didn't answer any of the questions......do you have an emotional investment at the Cockburners?
I don't have to answer any of your questions? how old are you? come back when you can be objective about a subject.

Last edited:
A few have mentioned the pity they felt for Freo fans, I actually felt the same. Now I'm a freo hater, always have been, went for a quick lurk Saturday night for a laugh, and honestly, it was quite sad. I did feel sorry for them. We know what it feels like (not on the same level) to be s**t, and angry, and wondering why we bother. I felt that way after the 2016 EF. I was so pissed, I couldn't get over the feeling that I cared more than the players.

It's all fun to have a laugh at them, but this felt different, and I didn't like it. I like a bit of banter, but it just feels wrong, like picking on a cripple. Hopefully they can get their s**t together, and we can actually have a good rivalry built on close tough games with genuine meaning.

Why would you want Lyon gone? What has it got to do with WCE? Who cares about the Cockburners and what's "bad for" them? How is it "bad for WA footy"?
They are just another AFL club and an opponent to beat.

The f*ck's going on here? Are we seriously starting a fight about "feeling bad" for Freo?

Astro you've been here long enough to know that we dont tolerate sympathy for the purps round these parts. Their sh*t organisation doesnt warrant infighting.

Really Fremantle should fold , the Kanga's become the Joondalup Kangaroos ...we start again Fremantle have had 25 years at this caper and quite honestly I've had enough its time to go .

The f*ck's going on here? Are we seriously starting a fight about "feeling bad" for Freo?

Astro you've been here long enough to know that we dont tolerate sympathy for the purps round these parts. Their sh*t organisation doesnt warrant infighting.
I think we have found where Vishy borrowed his purple scarf......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't feel sorry for the purple floggos. Let's not forget the way they carried on during their little Derby streak. How they * up our game day threads over umpiring.. How they celebrate our losses... The vitriol towards Gaff... Comparing us to Nazis... wishing injuries on our players and basically trying to convince neutrals that we are the bad guys. Nah * them we all know how they would have acted if we lost the GF.

I don't feel sorry for the purple floggos. Let's not forget the way they carried on during their little Derby streak. How they fu** up our game day threads over umpiring.. How they celebrate our losses... The vitriol towards Gaff... Comparing us to Nazis... wishing injuries on our players and basically trying to convince neutrals that we are the bad guys. Nah fu** them we all know how they would have acted if we lost the GF.

Hmm, solid argument, I may be swayed back the other way already! I do remember in 2012 I think, they beat the Cats in that final, and I was like, good for you, and then by the time their next game came around against the crows, I was so ready for them for them to fail again. Old habits die hard I guess. The few Freo supporters that I know well and deal with day to day, are normal people, and good enough dudes (terrible choice of footy team) but maybe it's those ones that I feel sorry for. I just didn't get the level of enjoyment out of their Melt thread after the Derby that I thought I would, it was just such a downer!!

Zero sympathy for them. Zero.
It may be harsh, but seriously. Look back at their existence and where they are now as a club is light years from how bad they were before.

They are financially stable enough, certainly more so than many of the legacy VFL clubs, Brisbane and their feral South Australian counterparts. They have by all accounts excellent facilities and the alignment with Peel has been a reasonably successful one.
They have some good talent on the list and have finally been able to attract some KPF’s! Plus a wonderful leader and captain. Things aren’t all bad there!

I do fret that Ross is starting to come under fire. I don’t know why, I think he is doing a brilliant job and should stay for a long time to come :)

Zero sympathy. We all know how insufferable they are during their brief interludes in the upper echelon of the ladder, plus their propensity to get confident and brash at the slightest hint of success for them and failure for us. We have seen during this season for example!
No, no sympathy at all! :)

A few have mentioned the pity they felt for Freo fans, I actually felt the same. Now I'm a freo hater, always have been, went for a quick lurk Saturday night for a laugh, and honestly, it was quite sad. I did feel sorry for them. We know what it feels like (not on the same level) to be s**t, and angry, and wondering why we bother. I felt that way after the 2016 EF. I was so pissed, I couldn't get over the feeling that I cared more than the players.

It's all fun to have a laugh at them, but this felt different, and I didn't like it. I like a bit of banter, but it just feels wrong, like picking on a cripple. Hopefully they can get their s**t together, and we can actually have a good rivalry built on close tough games with genuine meaning.

You over it yet?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

And the behaviour exhibited by Brad Hill. Couldn't have been any more disrespectful to his coach if he had slapped him.

And it also goes to show the gulf between our great club and their sorry excuse for a footy brand. Not even at our lowest point did we have players openly show such hostility to a sitting head coach. Even Judge was treated politely. They are well and truly the definition of a rabble.
What did Hill do?

Perhaps a kind of ressentiment there for fans. At the end of the day though, who really doesn't just want to see the WA teams both do well? It's the funnest thing ever to ruin the Vics GF party :)

A bit random, but I never understood the anchor for Freo. I get the whole nautical theme, but anchors are literally designed to sink to the bottom of the ocean and stop a ship from moving. Why would you want that on your branding?
Well, they designed themselves to be the exact opposite of us in every way from the start, so it makes sense :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back