Game Day Rnd 16: Derby 50 - West Coast vs Fremantle

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
The f*ck's going on here? Are we seriously starting a fight about "feeling bad" for Freo?

Astro you've been here long enough to know that we dont tolerate sympathy for the purps round these parts. Their sh*t organisation doesnt warrant infighting.
Haha, Yeh, I understand all the histrionic hate and mob mentality and teenage emotions, but sometimes I like to act my age and not my shoe size. It's good to be able to discuss a topic objectively from time to time. No, I don't feel bad for Freo, I don't support them of course, but I do support a rational discussion occasionally (rare for me I know)...but clearly a rational discussion and Freo don't connect on here for some? Anyway, good to see today's headlines -Freo fans call for Lyons to be sacked! I just dislike his whining smarmy presence on my TV every week, simple stuff!
And Fwiw, while I enjoyed the derby annihilation, we'd like to watch better football than that in the future, wouldn't we?

Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx
Zero sympathy for them. Zero.
It may be harsh, but seriously. Look back at their existence and where they are now as a club is light years from how bad they were before.

They are financially stable enough, certainly more so than many of the legacy VFL clubs, Brisbane and their feral South Australian counterparts. They have by all accounts excellent facilities and the alignment with Peel has been a reasonably successful one.
They have some good talent on the list and have finally been able to attract some KPF’s! Plus a wonderful leader and captain. Things aren’t all bad there!

I do fret that Ross is starting to come under fire. I don’t know why, I think he is doing a brilliant job and should stay for a long time to come :)

Zero sympathy. We all know how insufferable they are during their brief interludes in the upper echelon of the ladder, plus their propensity to get confident and brash at the slightest hint of success for them and failure for us. We have seen during this season for example!
No, no sympathy at all! :)

You nailed it.

May 13, 2007
<---------
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Seahawks, Huskies, Newcastle Utd.
Haha, Yeh, I understand all the histrionic hate and mob mentality and teenage emotions, but sometimes I like to act my age and not my shoe size. It's good to be able to discuss a topic objectively from time to time. No, I don't feel bad for Freo, I don't support them of course, but I do support a rational discussion occasionally (rare for me I know)...but clearly a rational discussion and Freo don't connect on here for some? Anyway, good to see today's headlines -Freo fans call for Lyons to be sacked! I just dislike his whining smarmy presence on my TV every week, simple stuff!
And Fwiw, while I enjoyed the derby annihilation, we'd like to watch better football than that in the future, wouldn't we?
I'd be more than happy to see them get flogged every time we played them. I like close games but they are the Dockers and total domination is my preference.

When they were up and about in 2015 they were unbareable with their cockiness. Imagine if they actually won something.

Kick them while they are down and keep kicking I say.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
With Brad Scott no longer coaching, we really need Lyon to stay at Fremantle. It provides a good supply of comedy, a club that will never score enough to win a flag and improves our chances of 2 x 4 points each year.

Additionally, they seem to attract more than their share of tradable flogs or players with serious injury clouds
- Dawson - just a thug
- Gumbleton - no need to say any more
- Bennell - not a happy story on any front for the Larke Medalist
- McCarthy - well short of a expectations
- Hogan - Melbourne let him go for a reason, could be the foot but who knows
- Lobbs - not put together a full season yet
- Conca - the hit to the back of the GWS player says it all
- Hill and Wilson have been the exceptions and now even Hill wants to leave

Dec 19, 2007
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
soccer rugby union and le
With Brad Scott no longer coaching, we really need Lyon to stay at Fremantle. It provides a good supply of comedy, a club that will never score enough to win a flag and improves our chances of 2 x 4 points each year.

Additionally, they seem to attract more than their share of tradable flogs or players with serious injury clouds
- Dawson - just a thug
You got it Asterix! Lyon is a very defensive coach but hes not their main problem.They should shoot their recruiting staff [ all of them ] and start again.But shhh! I cant tolerate this "hate the Vics " chatter.Im an equal opportunity hater.Nah i was only joshin' i loathe Freo more than anyone.

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast

- Dawson - just a thug

Don't forget Neale. Recognised the stink of sh*t and left for a "basket case" club in Brisbane - both lamented and mocked by former supporters for doing so. Now he's running around in a Top 4 team pushing for a Brownlow.

Although I suppose he doesn't qualify as much of a flog when standing next to guys like Dawson. I just thought it was funny that their next up and coming superstar and future captain of the club told them to f*ck off.

The Dodger

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Well that is the issue. I believe Lyon will get them back there but they need matureish 24-25 year olds in their prime to maintain that work rate that he demands and to not be pushed out of contested situations.
Left to him I don't think he fully rebuilds I think he keeps topping up with mediocre players in their prime and goes again.
Freo were hell bent on a rebuild and there seem to be that shift away from Ross with the talk of delegating more and him not being in charge of everything at last contract signing. I don't think Ross does that very well.

So the kids they play will get smashed and pushed off the ball until they can physically compete they way he wants them to. Unfortunately this leads to the young players not feeling part of it and it being hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel and from a marketing perspective I think its hard to sell 5 years of shiite while 18-19 years olds get where they need to be. To both the younger players and the other mature players in the team waiting for those younger players to hit the magical mark. So they potentially look at leaving.
Its going to take a lot of patience and i'm not sure a team has that in this day and age.

Ultimately I don't think he will one as his well drilled middle aged team will come against a similar team in its prime who rate skills as much as hard work and its over. Everyone keeps saying but for the bounce of the ball he would be a premiership coach etc well thats because his gameplan lacks the ability to put a really good team away even when dominating them and then unfortunately for them it becomes about the bounce of 1 ball. It happens once its bad luck...it keeps happening there is a trend..."its just a toe poke...its just being more accurate in front of the sticks and we have one".

TLDR - Im happy he is still there and while he will eventually get their team back into finals I still believe they will always come up short against equally good opposition.

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
A bit random, but I never understood the anchor for Freo. I get the whole nautical theme, but anchors are literally designed to sink to the bottom of the ocean and stop a ship from moving. Why would you want that on your branding?
Brutal Honesty?

Apr 8, 2016
Vietnam
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
Ross approached him to say something after the game, and he deliberately turned his back on him and walked away.

Combined with the rumours that he wants a trade, not a good look.
No idea what it's about but how Ross handled the Harley situation wouldn't endear him to his players, particularly those that are close to him. No idea if Hill is close to him.

Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
FLO-RIDA , PITBULL ,SEAN PAUL
Yes, I was surprised at how friendly both groups of players were, towards each other after the game.
It was great to see. Clearly, Walters was being aggro during the game, Redden was after him.

The anti-social behaviour was stated as being after the game on public transport etc, abusive drunken behaviour (family, kids?). But how quickly it gets taken out of context here...
The photo of Cameron and his Freo 'mates' in the crowd is hilarious, all part of the game!

You’ve probably forgotten how hard Freo party when they beat the Eagles... 9 straight to Wce fans begins to feel like just another game..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
Been a lot of complaints post-derby, about Eagles supporters bad behaviour during and after the game, talkback radio (not always a grounded discussion or medium) and on Freo board. The usual 'arrogance' is rolled out, along with abusive language on public transport etc. The Harry Highpants episode also perceived as arrogance and disrespect towards Freo. (I didn't see it like that, I thought it was just a 'guys prank' amongst themselves?).
We bang on about arrogance here, including myself, but it's tongue-in-cheek, self-mocking, ironic. Are the Eagles in danger again of being perceived as arrogant and hated by the general footy world and media, as we near the finals? I think Simmo does a good job of hosing this down.
Since the media can't write a negative story about us on-field, they have to look elsewhere.
I'm not bothered with how we're perceived in the media, if we're being arrogant it's because we've ******* earned it.

MrWoollie

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2008
England
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lincoln City Imps, West Perth
Playing just 52% of game time, Nic Natanui gets a place in the AFL team of the week.

If you read the Freo board, that would be the useless, pathetic, past it, rubbish, over-rated, flogbag, thug (WTF?) Nic Natanui.

And they wonder why we laugh at them.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Playing just 52% of game time, Nic Natanui gets a place in the AFL team of the week.

If you read the Freo board, that would be the useless, pathetic, past it, rubbish, over-rated, flogbag, thug (WTF?) Nic Natanui.

And they wonder why we laugh at them.
nOt WorTh a MiLLioN dOLLar sALaRy!!1

Benji85

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Anyone able to give me a timestamp or which quarter Duggan bumped Fyfe (the rough conduct charge)?

Dec 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Looks like I’m driving up to Perth so would love to catch the game.
Any advice on where to try to get a ticket at the new stadium, up the top??

Did you get a ticket? It's sold out and I've got 1 for sale section 521, back row $68 :D I can't return it via member resale as I'm only in the wings.

Back