AFL Autopsy RND 16: Pussy Whipped

Cold Sober

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man U .White Sox;Storm,Victory
Essendon may be the first club to self fold from the afl, through the players not wanting to be there.
Why would Stringer, Joe or any other class arse footballer want to stay with us.

Falcon27

Club Legend
Sep 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I don’t claim to know what the game plan is, and whether is it’s a poor game plan or if the players Just can’t execute it. But what I do see is almost an entire team that does not physically body the opposition, cannot sick tackles or block for their teammates. These are fundamentals which suburban footballers can do on a weekly basis, but on all appearances EFC professional footballers cannot. And that failing should be 100% on the coaches.

Jun 8, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
It’s insane. Collingwood just finished playing 8 games in 40 days, including a WA-QLD-SA-QLD 4-game stretch in 14 days. No surprise that EVERY game in which the opposition had a lengthy spell vs Collingwood’s 4-5 day breaks, that Collingwood failed to win. Joke draw, joke season.
Clarko comparing Hawks 4-5 day spell versus Adelaide's 9 day break last week saying it was a factor in that loss. It was interesting when he said that it looked as though his players weren't trying. These limited breaks flattening clubs out at different times.

Clarko comparing Hawks 4-5 day spell versus Adelaide's 9 day break last week saying it was a factor in that loss. It was interesting when he said that it looked as though his players weren't trying. These limited breaks flattening clubs out at different times.
I'm willing to dismiss anything he says at this point. He's too caught up in his own genius and when a guy like Tim O'Brien is playing 14 out of 15 games you're pretty damn s**t.

Turn the lights off, lock the doors, come back in 2021.

Today's performance was a steaming pile of doo-doo.

The confusing umpiring (and all season really) just added sprinkles on top.
Not convinced 2021 is going to be much better. Pre-season will start late and be shortened due to this season running late, and probably won't be able to train properly in the preseason we do get unless we move all of the Vic clubs interstate, or at least out of the metropolitan area, which I'm sure the AFLPA will kick up a stink about. How we are supposed to learn a game plan under those circumstances is beyond me. And then the fewer than usual number of draftees will come in later than usual, and we're now picking up LTIs as well which will affect those players going into the pre-season and next year. If list cuts come in we'll have less cover for the inevitable injuries too.

It's not like the clock will strike twelve on the evening of the thirty-first of December and everything will just go back to how it used to be. 2021 will be the reaper for whatever is sown in 2020.

And that's pretty ******* depressing to type out tbh. 😓

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
No there isn't.
It'll all happen quickly when it happens
IMG_20200829_222223.png

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
All this talk about needing more time to learn the gameplan is rubbish. An offseason should be plenty. If the players are too lazy to play a zone properly, play 1 on 1 the last few rounds to expose the weak competitors in the group. Too many not going when it is their turn
Ratten is a 1st year coach (admittedly spent a year as an assistant...but Rutten & Woosha have had time together too)
Has a number of new starting 22 players (ryder, jones, butler, howard, hill)

they've swapped places with us in an off-season.

MiguelM

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
On area we need to improve on is our marking, and not just in the forward line, but around the gorund.

102 to 54 is just not competitive. I know some of those will be uncontested but we go down the line more than ever but we rerely take a mark.

AFLisnotNRL

Rookie
Sep 6, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I know it would have been a tough job to get the fixture sorted, but surely you could avoid a team playing their 3rd match in 11 days coming up against a team off an 8 day break?
AFL agenda= Brisbane vs Richmond GF.
Usual formula a Vic team and an interstate team in the granny, preferably a Brissie or Sydney team as that boosts the rugby fence sitters and bandwagoners. Income increases through TV viewership, crowds and more importantly sponsorship. Perth and Adelaide fans aren't fickle and only drop off when they end up bottom 4 which isn't too often for any of them.

AFLisnotNRL

Rookie
Sep 6, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Ratten is a 1st year coach (admittedly spent a year as an assistant...but Rutten & Woosha have had time together too)
Has a number of new starting 22 players (ryder, jones, butler, howard, hill)

they've swapped places with us in an off-season.
smart recruiting... better than putting the kitchen sink and your nuts like we did with Shiel for 2 1st rounders... what's he on $ 750k plus. The man can play and has heart but gees he can't kick left foot and his inside 50s are very average. He is no Hird, Bontempelli or I could mention at least a couple of dozen of current midfielders better than him right now.
Carlton must be laughing at our foolhardiness, those clowns have been engaging in a war with us for decades and nobody ever wins in a war

AFLisnotNRL

Rookie
Sep 6, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Next year transition Rutten to Caracella, then Caracella to Hird = flag in 2023
as odd as it sounds I can see it playing out... Perhaps not the flag but at least Essendon being serious contenders.
The AFL love drama and a fairytale. Additionally, if Essendon continue to flop the massive supporter base will wane significiantly. I can see this developing in synchronocity with the dark sides uprising

EFC has taken a strategic decision with selection in the recent rounds - Backed themselves to win against GWS and GC ending up with a draw, gave up the Stkilda game with selection, damage limitation against Richmond, backed themselves to win against Hawthorn and WC, while they conceded against Geelong - Expect solid showings in the next two weeks and expect to win one of Power or Melbourne.

I first posted about the most pressing issue after around round 6 is our full ground defence - It is unsustainable to maintain the percentage of times it's transferred from our forward 50 and the amount of scores conceded - This part of the game is not AFL standard.

I'm just totally flat and bereft of energy after that.

First quarter was a shambles.

But I was foolishly looking for some leaders, some emotion, action, encouragement like "let's try to work back into the game" at either quarter time or half time and all i saw was lost sheep. Dyson where were you? John why not change a few things instead of going through the motions?

No direction, no leadership, a rudderless ship, big ball calls required and a revamp of the team required starting with the leadership group and a new captain.

Hopefully can get to the Demons game as i reckon it might be a farewell for a few.

Shattered.

Sep 9, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Glenelg, Redbacks, Lakers
The current side is not up to winning a flag. We are in no mans land. I can barely think of a side we are ahead of in the race for a flag. The fact Is that clubs like Sydney and Carlton are better placed for future success even Hawthorn are committing to a rebuild and this time next year will be well placed.We need a thorough clean out starting at the top with the CEO. Why did we rush to get hold of Rutten?

Game highlighted the same issues.
Can not defend outside the backline.
Real issues with the captain. Too slow. Where does he play ?
Our midfield is made up of B grade players.
No variety in size. Cats showed what having some tall midfielders can do marking wise.
If Stringer is not in form he can be a defensive liability.
The list needs turning over.

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Not here to bash John, but does he actually talk to players while sitting on the boundary line?? Every shot of him for the last 2 years he just seems to sit there. Shouldn’t he be talking to the players as they come off, reinforcing learnings or something?
I think he just asks 'Hooker forward' into his headset. Sometimes he says Hunter but Rutten still picks up what he's throwing down anyway

Jan 31, 2012
patterson lakes
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
On area we need to improve on is our marking, and not just in the forward line, but around the gorund.

102 to 54 is just not competitive. I know some of those will be uncontested but we go down the line more than ever but we rerely take a mark.

102 - 54 tells you we are happy to sit back in a lame zone, concede possession & let our opponent dictate the game with uncontested marking.

Oct 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Miami Dolphins
That first quarter was a lesson in a) mark taking by Geelong (contested and uncontested) and b) how not to spoil marks by us. It was unbelievable how bad we were at at least bringing the ball to ground. Our lack of height is an issue but even our talls couldn’t halve contests.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back