AFL Toast Rnd 16: Win against the Swans

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Well, we're not even close to being AFL standard in the forward half with our ball use, but we're winning games, so uh , ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
There was no one to kick to up forward 7 out of 10 times on the rebound. Swans could get forward on the rebound and our forwards were nowhere to be seen.

Our skills were poor but you’re right, we’re winning. It might be ugly but there’s a W in the results column.

On a side note, loved Gleeson’s game today. His spoils were absolutely spot on I felt.

scythe

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Auburn, Newcastle United, Charlotte
Very much enjoying the salt on the main board. Are these the same people that called us whingers and told us a lopsided free count means nothing after the umpires buttloved us against West Coast, Norf and Collingwood in a row last year?

Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
A win is a win but that was ugly with both sides being poor at times but it was good to see Zaka kick a few. During the second quarter I watched him and has he been appointed the offical finger pointer because he does a lot of it and at one point he wasn't even facing anyone.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Hate to say it but rubbish free to McKernan, three sitters missed and two advantages that robbed the Swans of relatively simply set shots.

Granted that a side must take its opportunities but that game was played as a loss (just as last week was). There was little to nothing good to come of it. We couldn't even contrive a centre square set up to take advantage of the Alir not even contesting the ball ups and the Swans' mids just brushed ours aside.

I shake my head at the idea a side can be so bad but still win games (two in a row at that).

We're in dangerous territory. The competition is s**t and we might make finals. Does anyone seriously want to continue with this rubbish for another 18 months?

Hate to say it but rubbish free to McKernan, three sitters missed and two advantages that robbed the Swans of relatively simply set shots.

Granted that a side must take its opportunities but that game was played as a loss. There was little to nothing good to come of it. We couldn't even contrive a centre square set up to take advantage of the Alir not even contesting the
ball ups.

I shake my head at the idea a side can be so bad but still win games (two in a row at that).

We're in dangerous territory. The competition is s**t and we might make finals. Does anyone seriously want to continue with this dog s**t for another 18 months?
Here we go.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus

Granted that a side must take its opportunities but that game was played as a loss (just as last week was). There was little to nothing good to come of it. We couldn't even contrive a centre square set up to take advantage of the Alir not even contesting the ball ups and the Swans' mids just brushed ours aside.

We're in dangerous territory. The competition is s**t and we might make finals. Does anyone seriously want to continue with this rubbish for another 18 months?

“SHHHHUUUUTTUUUUUPP” - Vince McMahon

Oct 12, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics

Look mate, something happens and I'm head over heels - know what I mean?

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Good win. I forsee one change for next week, Heppell for ???. I don't think Clarke misses despite having his worst game of the year. Laverde was poor, Langford had a poor first 3 quarters, Guelfi was average. Smack played a ripper again and I though Gleeson caught up to the pace of the game.
Clarke has to go. Complete liability. That was probably the worst game from an Essendon player this year.

Macca18

EFC
Jul 6, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Win ugly OR lose 'pretty'? Hmm. An absolute no brainer.

Sydney's ladder position may not show it but their last 6 weeks has been exceptional after a dismal start to 2019. GWS have a deserved reputation for sustained home & away excellence for a number of seasons.

The last two weeks we have dug in, won ugly and stepped up when it counted deep into the game against both... including with several important injuries, late withdrawals etc. Our defence needs to be commended for that because they are (despite the Eagles game this year) our biggest strength. Credit to the pre-season acquisition of Ben Rutten. The midfield too was strong against a tricky opponent when the game was there to be won.

I think the forward line can join the party next week when we return to Marvel against North. Our last three outings against them have returned 20.12, 19.11 and 17.14 ... North have improved (particularly defensively) since the game earlier in the year but we should have the mental edge and need to expose it.

As my first sentence though... if we win 11 goals to 9 again next week then I will be more than happy. Just keep winning please. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.

Norf will slaughter us if both sides maintain the standards of recent games.

Cold Sober

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man U .White Sox;Storm,Victory
A win is a win but that was ugly with both sides being poor at times but it was good to see Zaka kick a few. During the second quarter I watched him and has he been appointed the offical finger pointer because he does a lot of it and at one point he wasn't even facing anyone.
He was Cloning Hepps. Watch closely next time Hepps plays.
We used to have a can for everytime he pointed to nothing and no-one but we couldn't keep up, bit like when he was pointing.

Back