Preview Rnd 17 - Carlton v Footscray Sunday 16th July - 3.20PM @ MCG - Final Team Post #339

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 9, 2009
CR0
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
Carlton v Doggies
Sunday 9th July, 3.20PM @ MCG

Same bat-time, same bat-channel, Sundee arvo at the 'G...

This time it is against the reigning premiers but...the Doggies...

Last 5 games
Carl def GWS by 1
Carl def GCS by 10

Carl lost to Rich by 26
Carl lost to Adel by 12
Carl lost to Mel by 8

WB lost to Syd by 46
WB lost to Mel by 57

WB def NM by 1
WB lost to WCE by 7

WB lost to Adel by 59

Pretty clear we have the better form coming in, the Dogs' last loss to Adelaide...embarrassing for a team that just won a flag...prompted their coach to say it was one of the worst in his time at the club.

We had a real goddamn dip against Melbourne, but our second qtr showed just how far we have to go...let them kick six, had we been a bit better at that moment, who knows...

At the very least...

1s7jvp.jpg

Injuries
Looks like Ed, Marchbank, Phillips, Rowe and maybe Cripps and White are the players on our injury list that won't be involved.

For them it's Adams, TBoyd, Crameri, Dunkley, Jong, and Murphy that will be absent (Doggies fans please correct as necessary)...

Where it will be won/lost...(note this does not include our latest game...will update later)
I haven't seen much at all of the Pups this year, so please correct as required. They are a high tackling team that likes to apply a lot of pressure. We're not far behind ranked 6th in the comp, so hopefully we can break even or better in this area.

Their scoring is down a bit this year from 84.4 points per game to 80.6. We're well behind them with 72.6 points per game, up from 71.3 last year. As far as defence is concerned, the Dogs are haemorrhaging 87.3 after 73.1 last year. We conceded 89.9 last year, down to 88.5 this year. Gross...(headed in the right direction but...) Point is, I don't think this is gonna be a shoot-out.

The Doggies are ranked 15th for hitouts per game, so perhaps we can get on top there given MK is in career best form. Much of that depends on how Crippa pulls up, of course. If our young gun is out then Murph and Gibba are gonna have to shoulder that much more.

Jack played well up forward against Melbourne, as did Curnow the Younger, so that is another area that maybe we can get on top, although the Dogs have Easton Wood down back marshalling the troops, and given his ability to intercept, I would perhaps consider a defensive forward...the perfect job for White...:(

I'll leave the really detailed in/outs discussion to the forty odd-pages to come, however, Jones to Redpath, I reckon our defence can cover Stringer (though he is always a risk of getting hold of you), defensive forward on Wood/Johanissen maybe...and it's gonna have to be a team effort to deal with a midfield that includes McLean, Macrae, Hunter...and some guy named Bontempelli (haven't heard much about him, is he any good??)...

As the above makes clear, I am no student of the game. IMO, the most insightful analysis I've ever seen belongs to our very own Stig O'Hara...something about a pumped up pig's arse and some sticks in the ground...perhaps he'd care to elaborate??

In any case, this should be a good contest. They are quick and they use their handball very well. Melbourne's quick handball seemed to me to be something we couldn't really deal with...I saw plenty of passages where they worked us over in close with quick hands.

However, we have fight in us. If BB has done anything it is instil an ability to get back into games, or hang in there in ones that a year ago would have been well beyond us. Take this new-found mongrel and add it to the Doggies' post-premiership woes (it was clearly a mistake by WB management to let Libba organise the post-GF celebrations) and this game should be pretty close...

For those of you paying attention, I am yet to tip a Carlton victory this year. Since you can't argue with mathematics and science, I am tipping the Dogs by 2 goals, which actually means a 15 point win to the Baggers.

Last edited:

Honestly, you guys should win this. Playing a far better brand of football. If we turn up like we did earlier this season, we're a chance. If last years team turns up we'll probably win.

Predicting that the team of the last month will turn up and you'll win by 5 goals. Thanks for making it an MCG game, always good to get away from Etihad.

Early ins and outs then:

Out: White, Cripps, Sheehan
In: Byrne, Graham, Asos

Think we need Graham to chuck him in the guts, Cripps had the most clearances for us against Melbourne and was off well before half time... Disappointed we likely wont see Cripps vs Bont. The Asos slot is up between him and Williamson - whoever pulls up the best during the week. Wish Curnow was fit :(

Hard to question our effort and just need some polish around the ball and we're up and running.

Would love to see Byrne reclaim his spot this week.
If ASilvagni is good to go, he comes in and Weitering goes forward.

Would certainly give Boekhorst another run and consider Jaksch (to play forward) Nothing to lose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We really don't have the depth to cover our best 22 players yet.
Right now we'll be without Cripps, Marchbank, Williamson & EdCurnow and that's not great but it does give others a late chance to show something.

Simpson Jones Plowman
Byrne ASilvagni Docherty

Kreuzer Gibbs Murphy
Weitering Cuningham Fisher

Lamb CCurnow Pickett
Wright Casboult JSilvagni

Thomas Macreadie Kerridge Boekhorst

It were the frees in front of goal and fumbles imo...

Not worried, though. He's better than that.

I reckon given the likely injuries Sheehan might keep his possie for another week - only his second game back at this level in 3 years - he is clearly a bit rusty and probably doesn't know half the players!:D

Hard to question our effort and just need some polish around the ball and we're up and running.

Would love to see Byrne reclaim his spot this week.
If ASilvagni is good to go, he comes in and Weitering goes forward.

Would certainly give Boekhorst another run and consider Jaksch (to play forward) Nothing to lose.

Not certain that Byrne will come in - he didn't play a full game for the NBs. As much as I'd really love to have him in, I wouldn't want to "rush it".

The lift in speed and intensity at this level is to his detriment.

If Byrne is ready, it's a simple swap.
Think I would give Sheehan more game time. He's probably not the small forward man (Byrne is) but having him today allowed Mr. Plow to play on more suitable options. People forget that it is only his 7th game of AFL football. Get Byrne back in, put Sheehan on more suitable opposition (more as a half back) and give him same game time. Sooner or later we have to make a decision on him and the decision shouldn't be based on whether he is a lock down small defender or not

Really don't understand the love for Sheehan on this board. Will be 27 by years end, played 6 games over 4 years and looks completely lost. Absolutely no chance he should get a spot on the list next year. Should go back to VFL and have to earn another chance or I think it may be the last time we've seen him play.
OUT: Sheehan, White, Cripps
IN: Williamson, ASOS, Boeky

Depth will start to get tested. We have had a great run with injuries but will now be without Marchbank Cripps White Curnow Rowe Phillips for weeks as a minimum. Doubt on ASOS Williamson for next week.

Byrne is ready based on what I saw on Saturday. If ASOS and Williamson are fit they should play - wasted playing for the NBs.

Like Mr Plow above I'd have Bryne, Williamson and ASOS in for Sheehan, Cripps and White. I know it leaves us a midfielder short, but I don't see how throwing Boekhurst or Graham another bone helps.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

And playing another team with 2 days extra rest and preparation . FFS these AFL honchos need lynching for the scheduling theyve given us this year :mad:

Just had a quick look at the fixture and since round 13, we have had less break than our opponents. Against GC we had one less day break and a trip there, against the Tigers we had a similar break but played a night game at Metricon the week before - no travel from them. Then the Crows had an 8 day break compared to 5 for us, it was here but still..not ideal. Today was an 8 day break for the Dees, and 7 for us..next week, the Dogs will have two extra days compared to us, even with a trip back from SA for them it's still a load of s**t.

This has to be impacting us, especially late in games.

Last edited:
Just had a quick look at the fixture and since round 13, we have had less break than our opponents. Against GC we had one less day break and a trip there, against the Tigers we had a similar break but played a night game at Metricon the week before. Then the Crows had an 8 day break compared to 5 for us, it was here but still..not ideal. Today was an 8 day break for the Dees, and 7 for us..next week, the Dogs will have two extra days compared to us, even with a trip back from SA for them it's still a load of s**t.

This has to be impacting us, especially late in games.
Yep i know its pathetic we are at a disadvantage before we start . We had it a little the other way early in the season but the last few weeks has been pathetic . These abnormalities this often just shouldnt happen in professional sport as taxing on the body as our game .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back