Preview RND 17 - Carlton v Sydney Saturday 13th July 1.45PM (EST) @ SCG - Team Post #466

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
McGovern has to be dropped for either McKay or Kerr if McKay isn't fit.
Lang stamped his papers today will be gone at the end of the year. Cripps hopefully straight back in.
Would drop Dow personally for Cunners or give someone else an opportunity for example Garlett or Deluca.
Weitering out would mean Goddard gets his chance.

Would expect a minimum of 3 changes.

In: McKay, Cripps, Cuningham, Garlett, Fasolo
Out: Weitering (Inj.), Fisher, Lang, Gibbons, Dow

B: Plowman------------------Jones------------------Simpson

H: Marchbank--------------McGovern---------------Newman

C: Thomas-------------------Cripps-----------------O'Brien

H: Cuningham-------------Casboult----------------Fasolo

F: Garlett--------------------McKay----------------Kennedy

Foll: Kreuzer, Setterfield, Walsh

Bench: E.Curnow, Murphy, Silvagni, SPS

If we have the luxury, I'd put McGovern through a mini 3 week preseason to give him the best opportunity to find form in the final month of footy.

I don't think Dow's been that bad. He's been playing a deep forward type role, so he's never going to get big numbers. What's noticeable is his kicking for goal has improved quite significantly. Good signs there.

100% agree with being more mobile. Was banging on about that early on in the year and even made the comment that selecting such top heavy sides against teams like Gold Coast was costing us matches. It's good to have height, but running power gives you more options when plan A doesn't work.
Dow doesn’t chase. Above and beyond all else it drives me crazy. Even as a small forward. Like get serious son.

He had ONE pressure act today in 100 minutes of game time

Must be dumped.

Dow has to go back, simply has to. In two weeks since the bye he has only marginally more touches than the bye week itself.
Lang sadly didn't grab his shot...not even close.
Weiters will be a couple of weeks at least. Shame, he looked boss in patches.

Ins obviously comes down to fitness. For arguments sake if none of Cripps, McKay or Cunners gets up I'd guess we see Fasolo, Goddard and Garlett.

Time for Teague to make a statement

McGovern needs to go back and get fit and "earn" his spot
Gibbons plays midfield or not at all
Dow needs a run in the 2's or a break. Fisher in a similar position

I like the more mobile side.

Hope Cripps McKay & Cuningham are right to go. Like to see Garlett play up forward. Goddard for Weitering if injured and I am keen to see DeLuca soon. 6 rounds to go and a few others need to be given a go.

Keen to see Cripps and Jack in the middle.
if brackets is unfit - and he most likely is - I doubt there's enough time left in the season for him to get it sorted - not really..........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out: Weiters (inj) Dow, Lang
In:McKay, Cripps, Cunningham

Plowman - Cas - Newman
Marchbank - Jones - Thomas
Setterfield - Cripps - O’Brien
Kennedy - McGovern - Fisher
JSOS - McKay - Cunningham
Kruz - curnow - Murphy
Simmo - SPS - Gibbons - Walsh

Wouldn’t be opposed to dropping Gov but I think think on the smaller SCG McKay and Cas would be a little clunky up forward.

DeLuca could also warrant a call up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B: Plowman Jones Newman
HB: Marchbank Goddard Thomas
C: Murphy Cripps Walsh
HF: Setterfield Casboult Cuningham
F: Fisher McKay Kennedy
OB: Kreuzer Silvagni Curnow
IC: Simpson O'Brien SPS DeLuca
EM: O'Brien DeKoning Garlett Fasolo

OUT
Lang - Not up to AFL
Weitering - Injured
McGovern - Terrible form, shouldn't have played last week and shouldn't have played against melbourne. Go back and earn it.
Dow - Same as McGovern.
O'Brien - Gibbons lucky to remain but he offers just a little more toughness. O'brien ok last week but went missing this week. Would rather the more mature Deluca.

IN
Cripps - No brainer
McKay - No brainer
Cuningham - No brainer
Goddard - He's earned it with a really good and consistent VFL season, in the squad last week and ready to come in and prove himself this week.
DeLuca - didn't recruit him to play in the VFL, seems to be going alright there, he will offer a senior body who can go hard and potentially impact up forward.

Keys
Last time Kennedy tagged Cripps out of the game. No doubt they haven't forgotten this. This is where Silvagni comes into play. He needs to take Kennedy out and prevent him from tagging Cripps. Ed Curnow needs to play on Parker. Papley, Reid and Franklin need to be stopped so plenty of effort needs to go into them. I don't think they bat too deep in any departments so if we cut of the stars we should be able to expose them. Jones did a great job on Franklin last time. Goddard or Casboult should be able to hold Reid but a team defence and good midfield pressure will sort them out.

How it is
To be honest, even though we have been getting close to teams and have won a couple of games and it's been an improvement. This letting the opposition get 5 or so goals up and having to come back isn't good and they haven't been the greatest teams we have been playing. We have to be setting higher standards. Beat Brisbane who have become a good side, struggled to beat Freo who got smashed this week, Melbourne and the Bulldogs are bottom sides. If we were half good we'd beat them all no worries. We need to set higher standards and not carry the same blokes on a regular basis.

O'Brien had an ok game last week but failed to back it up and has been ordinary for the vast majority of the season. Lang has been around for long enough and can't play. McGovern showed some value at times early on but he's been nothing more than a seconds player the last month and a half. He's a conditional player who has come to a weak side on good money and is getting a game regardless of performance. Poor team selection is partly to blame. Dow played some ok footy early but hasn't had a breakout game and has been really poor for two months and would not get a game in a half decent side. He will and is becoming a lazy and conditional player, team selection will fix this but it has to happen first. Simpson still has value but is not the player he was last season. Fisher has been poor recently and becoming a little soft the last few months and would be dropped if we had midfielders pushing for selection and the same with SPS. Very questionable attack on the contest and effort from these guys. Getting by on skills alone at the moment. Not seeing the hardness I want to see. They have both been mediocre for a while now and we all know they are better players than this. Both have produced ordinary numbers of late. We're getting good performances from our top players but the ones down the bottom are holding us down the bottom, we are carrying a few and we need to focus on that.

This is where it would be great to have pressure coming from the reserves but unfortunately we don't have a great deal.

I've liked Teagues coaching but he hasn't been good at the selection table. IMO he hasn't been tough enough. Too many third and fourth chances to mediocre players. Yeah you have to back your players in a bit, especially the ones you believe can play but there are a few who were really lucky to have played last week and shouldn't play this week.

What's missing is our ability to play tough football. We have guys who are getting selected too easily and they aren't playing tough. We just need guys who can and will go in hard and give a genuine competitive effort and a good handful of our players just aren't and they aren't performing.

I think it's time to drop a few and put the rest on notice. Get tough and toughen these guys up because beating Sydney up there will require us to be tough.

Accountability and toughness. We just lost to a bottom side and missed an opportunity to climb the ladder. We had another poor start where we got belted early in the game. Make the passengers hurt, make them accountable. Inspire a bit of hard footy and make blokes earn it or we will develop a bunch of talented conditional soft players. Like we did on the last rebuild. We've just had a bad loss and the team and those who played poorly need to suffer the consequences or be put on notice.

This is a really winnable game and if we make these changes I am backing us in to win. We have a good few guys playing some solid footy, those are good inclusions.

I would be saying to guys like Fisher and SPS, you need to get over 20 disposals or you're not playing next week. Plain and simple these guys need a good kick up the arse and need to meet basic quotas and get a bit of motivation to go hard at the contest. See if we can't get more out of them. We just need our bottom few players to lift and play some hard footy. We just have too many guys not playing hard footy and not backing up their efforts week to week. We must set our standards and ingrain that into our players now or it will never happen.

Last edited:
I reckon Deluca would have done much better than what lang did today. Has good leg speed and is tough. Saw him in the 2's yesterday, brilliant disposal on a couple of occasions into the NBlues forward line. Very fast breaks from the centre as well. Must come into calculations in lieu of Lang surely this week.
I watched the final 3 quarters of the VFL this week and came away very impressed with some of his disposal as that was my biggest concern about him. I'm hoping it wasn't a once off but he looked very clean and decisive.

Not sure about Plowman on Blakey, who is likely too strong overhead. I'd prefer Marchbank, with Plowman on Hayward. Lachie gives up leg speed but is probably a better match up.
Marchbank was on Blakey last time. Plowman will win the aerial battle and be able to consistently hold front position, while Marchbank is a different beast and doesn't match up well on him.

Dow doesn’t chase. Above and beyond all else it drives me crazy. Even as a small forward. Like get serious son.

He had ONE pressure act today in 100 minutes of game time

Must be dumped.
I just assumed that was an entry error, as the only other players under 5 with him for the entire round were either injured, taller defenders or in the Gold Coast/Richmond game.

Surely he had more pressure acts than the single tackle he managed? But otherwise I agree that if that's true, he will be dropped, and they'll bring in Garlett.

Yeah look Dow hasn't managed less than 15 pressure acts all year before this game... and while granted a lot of those games involved a lot of stoppage minutes, I'd be staggered if he really did manage just the one today.

You'd have to be actively trying to avoid running at the football to get that low a number.

Yeah look Dow hasn't managed less than 15 pressure acts all year before this game... and while granted a lot of those games involved a lot of stoppage minutes, I'd be staggered if he really did manage just the one today.

You'd have to be actively trying to avoid running at the football to get that low a number.
Just checked... yep one pressure act. Disappointing.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just checked... yep one pressure act. Disappointing.

I'm aware of what the stats say on the app. Those are preliminary stats recorded live, but they'll get reviewed and revised during the week (along with more detailed statistical data being added).

I suspect there was an issue with whatever entry system they're using.

I'm aware of what the stats say on the app. Those are preliminary stats recorded live, but they'll get reviewed and revised during the week (along with more detailed statistical data being added).

Didn't know that. Hope so because that's a damning stat.

Still think he will be a very good footy player but seems like he needs a good run of footy I the 2s

Surely. His pressure acts have been good all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back