Preview RND 17 - Carlton v Sydney Saturday 13th July 1.45PM (EST) @ SCG - Team Post #466

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 6, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Timberwolves

Recent Encounters

2019, Round 3, Marvel Stadium: Carl 10.14.74 def by Sydney 14.9.53 (L)

2018, Round 11, SCG: Carl 9.7.61 def by Sydney 13.13.91 (L)

2017, Round 6, MCG: Carl 15.7.97 def by Sydney 11.12.78 (L)

In a season full of dramas, we look forward to the second half of the year with a lot of positivity and hope moving onto 2020 and here is why.
- Patrick Cripps announcing himself as one of the best players in the league.
- Players such as SPS, Fisher, Weitering, Silvagni and McKay taking their footy to a whole new level.
- Sam Docherty coming back.
- Teague unleashing the shackles of the players.
- Walshy looking like a 200 gamer.

How can you not be bullish for next year?

However when there is hope, there is always darkness amidst. With our 2019 first rounder in the hands of the AFC, it is an understatement that we must beat sides that are down or we will be constantly reminded in the foreseeable (next week) we gave a probable number 1 pick away.

*Current state of Adelaide Football Club*

Alas we must move forwards to our new foe, last time we met these mobs was earlier this year in round 3. If we could summarise our season in one picture this would be it.

*Patrick Cripps carrying CFC in 2019*

Coming off a hot winning type form, we take our fight against Sydney once again on their home deck at the SCG. Although having a down year and their loss to Bombers last week they will becoming out of the gates red-hot and are a team we must respect and play 4 hard quarters of footy.

Key Match-ups

Midfield:

Cripps vs JPK
Two best clearances players in the competition will likely to go head to head, what I imagine head to head match-up will look like.

giphy.gif

Silvagni vs Parker
Having done the job on Nathan Fyfe in the second half, Silvagni has found a new role as big body midfielder. So I would like to see him nullify Luke Parker as he looks in outstanding form and let Ed Curnow run amok in the midfield.

Ruck:
Kreuzer vs Aliir

With their no.1 and 2 ruck unavailable, I anticipate Kreuzer to have a day out against an inexperience ruckman. I would say this would be the most important match-up as I expect Kreuzer to win a lost of clearances at the stoppages.

Defense:
Weitering vs Sam "Paper Mache" Reid

I expect Sam Reid going down in the first quarter to soft tissue injury. Calf I expect.

Forward:
McKay vs Rampe

Would be a delight to watch.

Overall Assessment
I anticipate this be a close contest with us surging back in the last quarter like we always do and give our supporters heart palpation.

4 points down. McKay marks outside 50. Siren goes. Rampe climbs the goal post. McKay gets a free in the goal square. Blues win by 2 with a surge of Carlton patient in the hospital bed.

Mr_Plow

That name again...
May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Red Wings
I'll wait for the injury report.

If McKay is available, I would give McGovern a spell. Cripps and Cuningham are automatic ins.

Kennedy has cemented his spot. Likewise Silvagni.

This means Dow is in strife with the return of Cuningham. Newman is on thin ice. Lang didnt show much desire today, which is disappointing given that his career is on the line.

Deluca is now also a serious consideration.

Burgers45

Witnessed 8 flags
Apr 1, 2011
Mornington Peninsula, Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
I'll wait for the injury report.

If McKay is available, I would give McGovern a spell. Cripps and Cuningham are automatic ins.

Kennedy has cemented his spot. Likewise Silvagni.

This means Dow is in strife with the return of Cuningham. Newman is on thin ice. Lang didnt show much desire today, which is disappointing given that his career is on the line.

Deluca is now also a serious consideration.

I reckon Deluca would have done much better than what lang did today. Has good leg speed and is tough. Saw him in the 2's yesterday, brilliant disposal on a couple of occasions into the NBlues forward line. Very fast breaks from the centre as well. Must come into calculations in lieu of Lang surely this week.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Time for Teague to make a statement

McGovern needs to go back and get fit and "earn" his spot
Gibbons plays midfield or not at all
Dow needs a run in the 2's or a break. Fisher in a similar position

I like the more mobile side.

Hope Cripps McKay & Cuningham are right to go. Like to see Garlett play up forward. Goddard for Weitering if injured and I am keen to see DeLuca soon. 6 rounds to go and a few others need to be given a go.

Keen to see Cripps and Jack in the middle.

My Hat

All Australian
Aug 18, 2018
My head
AFL Club
Carlton
Reckon the changes this week will all depend on fitness.

Harry and/or Goddard for Weitering and/or McGovern
Cripps for Lang
Cuningham for Dow

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
OUT: Lang, McGovern (inj), Weitering (inj)
IN: Cuningham, Cripps, McKay

Levi to defence, slightly smaller forward line, but Cripps, JSOS, Thomas, SPS and Setterfield can rotate through as required.

Their forward makeup of Blakey, Reid, Hayward, Papley/Parker, Ronke, Rose and sometimes McCartin should be more manageable than it was last time, but Simpson, Thomas and Newman will have a tough time of it as a collective unit.

I think Jones should either be on McCartin with Levi on Reid, and I'd start with Plowman on Blakey, leaving Marchbank to handle Hayward. Newman's easiest match up would be Rose, while Simpson should be able to win head to head against Papley by playing his natural game.

I'd put Thomas on Ronke, as while strongly built, the latter's game is entirely based around his speed.

If McKay isn't good to go, I'd opt for TDK or Goddard.

Mr_Plow

That name again...
May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Red Wings
OUT: Lang, McGovern (inj), Weitering (inj)
IN: Cuningham, Cripps, McKay

Levi to defence, slightly smaller forward line, but Cripps, JSOS, Thomas, SPS and Setterfield can rotate through as required.

Their forward makeup of Blakey, Reid, Hayward, Papley/Parker, Ronke, Rose and sometimes McCartin should be more manageable than it was last time, but Simpson, Thomas and Newman will have a tough time of it as a collective unit.

I think Jones should either be on McCartin with Levi on Reid, and I'd start with Plowman on Blakey, leaving Marchbank to handle Hayward. Newman's easiest match up would be Rose, while Simpson should be able to win head to head against Papley by playing his natural game.

I'd put Thomas on Ronke, as while strongly built, the latter's game is entirely based around his speed.

If McKay isn't good to go, I'd opt for TDK or Goddard.

Not sure about Plowman on Blakey, who is likely too strong overhead. I'd prefer Marchbank, with Plowman on Hayward. Lachie gives up leg speed but is probably a better match up.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
Time for Teague to make a statement

McGovern needs to go back and get fit and "earn" his spot
Gibbons plays midfield or not at all
Dow needs a run in the 2's or a break. Fisher in a similar position

I like the more mobile side.

Hope Cripps McKay & Cuningham are right to go. Like to see Garlett play up forward. Goddard for Weitering if injured and I am keen to see DeLuca soon. 6 rounds to go and a few others need to be given a go.

Keen to see Cripps and Jack in the middle.

If we have the luxury, I'd put McGovern through a mini 3 week preseason to give him the best opportunity to find form in the final month of footy.

I don't think Dow's been that bad. He's been playing a deep forward type role, so he's never going to get big numbers. What's noticeable is his kicking for goal has improved quite significantly. Good signs there.

100% agree with being more mobile. Was banging on about that early on in the year and even made the comment that selecting such top heavy sides against teams like Gold Coast was costing us matches. It's good to have height, but running power gives you more options when plan A doesn't work.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I hope to see:

B: Thomas Goddard Marchbank
HB: SPS Jones Newman

Foll: Kruezer Jack Curnow
C: Murphy Cripps O'Brien

HF: Setterfield Casboult Cuningham
F: Garlett McKay Kennedy

Int: Plowman Walsh Gibbons Lang

I am going for a few changes for interstate trip within 6 days and to send a message that lack of effort can't be tolerated
Simpson rested
Weitering inj
McGovern omitted
Dow rested/omitted
Fisher omitted

Goddard McKay Cripps Garlett & Cuningham in
If McKay not ready bring in TDK
Lang another chance but could easily bring in DeLuca or even Cottrell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back