Preview RND 17 - Carlton v Sydney Saturday 13th July 1.45PM (EST) @ SCG - Team Post #466

Status
Not open for further replies.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
:) Casboult maybe? Levi has some grit about him.
He's showed that at times through the years but not quite as consistently as he has been doing now.
If someone is going to be doing any battering, I'll take the chance on it being Levi right now.

A combo of big Kreuz and Cas in the ruck should be able to work Aliir over physically. He doesn't have any proper ruck support and doesn't even normally play ruck himself.

Should be a focus of the rucks this week. Could give us a real advantage out of the middle and at the contest.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I’m kind of expecting that too.

Levi & Harry tall forwards with Jack/Kennedy(/Setters/Cripps) as the medium.

Jones & Hugh the tall forward with and Plow the medium.

Will be interesting to see how close to the named positions we are at the first bounce. Currently 3 of the older heads starting on the pine in Murph, Ed & Newman while our midfield inc forward flanks are young: Kreuzer, Cripps, Jack, SPS, Fish, Setters, O’Brien, Walsh... 1x ‘07, 1x’13, 1x’15, 3x’16, 1x’17, 1x’18...

If Jones, Goddard and Casboult all played defence i'm not sure i love the match ups.
Could be something like this?

Jones - Reid
Goddard - McCartin
Casboult - Blakely
Plowman - Heeney/Papley

Would prefer Cas up forward to stretch Swans at the other end. He's in good touch big Levi with 3 great goals last week.

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
If Jones, Goddard and Casboult all played defence i'm not sure i love the match ups.

Jones - Reid
Goddard - McCartin
Casboult - Blakely
Plowman - Heeney/Papley

Would prefer Cas up forward to stretch Swans at the other end. He's in good touch big Levi with 3 great goals last week.
Reckon Cas will play forward. Besides, JSOS's performance last week suggests he can relieve Cripps in the guts; enabling Crippa to rest as another tall forward option if required.

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
A shame about Weitering assuming a bit of a concusion also? Was a hard hit. Also Marchbank has been in form.

But love the changes. I wanted to see Goddard get a chance. McKay back is fantastic and Cripps :) :)

McGovern HAD to be dropped. Would almost give him the season off to sort his weight out before preseason

resolute_blue

Team Captain
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cleveland Cavaliers
I’m flying up with my daughter for the game. Never been to the SCG so looking forward to the experience.
We will yell and cheer for our boys the loudest we can. Hoping for a close and hard fought win - after all it’s our turn this week to win the close one.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Jimmae must be seething with the news that Goddard is in
Jimmae is a person of conviction.

Not everyone can be so certain.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Nonsense, I'm just risk-averse when it comes to a low athletic potential. Goddard stands out in this regard, and has to have a lot go right for him to be successful at this level. Unfortunately Kerr is a similar story at the other end of the field.

Rowe and Watson have reaffirmed that for me over the last decade. Casboult has rebounded because he went and lost a bunch of weight and once again showed the skill set he did as a junior.

Even to this day, I'll be disappointed if we sign up Jones for more than a 2 year deal, because his aerobic endurance teeters on the edge of appalling. These are business decisions, and it's hard to justify this one.

Put this forward before, but he sure seems quicker now than he was in March.

He doesn't come across quite as athletic as described in 2014 though. Does read the ball in the air well and isn't too bad on his left, at all.
Not really... had good judgement and looked busy. Take a look for yourself:

He's definitely slowed down a lot though, but I refuse to believe he was anywhere near the 80-100 range in last year's draft pool, even if the club saw something marginally positive in his medical screening.

Jones - Reid
Goddard - McCartin
Casboult - Blakely
Plowman - Heeney/Papley

Agree, though I think Goddard is a certainty to play on Reid. Jones might wind up on Blakey, and anyone of Plowman, Newman or Thomas to land Hayward. The rest falls into place after that.

Even if they swing McCartin forward, I think we'll respond by moving Jones to him, and Plowman onto Blakey.

People’s thoughts on Jack running with Heeney??
Nah. I think he'll be curtailing Kennedy so Ed (or maybe Dow) can focus on such tasks.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Nonsense, I'm just risk-averse when it comes to a low athletic potential. Goddard stands out in this regard, and has to have a lot go right for him to be successful at this level. Unfortunately Kerr is a similar story at the other end of the field.

Rowe and Watson have reaffirmed that for me over the last decade. Casboult has rebounded because he went and lost a bunch of weight and once again showed the skill set he did as a junior.

Even to this day, I'll be disappointed if we sign up Jones for more than a 2 year deal, because his aerobic endurance teeters on the edge of appalling. These are business decisions, and it's hard to justify this one.

Not really... had good judgement and looked busy. Take a look for yourself:

He's definitely slowed down a lot though, but I refuse to believe he was anywhere near the 80-100 range in last year's draft pool, even if the club saw something marginally positive in his medical screening.

Agree, though I think Goddard is a certainty to play on Reid. Jones might wind up on Blakey, and anyone of Plowman, Newman or Thomas to land Hayward. The rest falls into place after that.

Even if they swing McCartin forward, I think we'll respond by moving Jones to him, and Plowman onto Blakey.

Nah. I think he'll be curtailing Kennedy so Ed (or maybe Dow) can focus on such tasks.

Yes, he's not agile or quick but he has many other things going for him does Hugh.

1. Strong hands

2. Hard as a cat's head

3. Brilliant communicator on field

4. Reads the play well

5. Nice left foot kick

Think the SCG will be ok for him this weekend. I don't see him being the next Alex Rance but I like him as depth for sure.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Yes, he's not agile or quick but he has many other things going for him does Hugh.

1. Strong hands

2. Hard as a cat's head

3. Brilliant communicator on field

4. Reads the play well

5. Nice left foot kick

Think the SCG will be ok for him this weekend. I don't see him being the next Alex Rance but I like him as depth for sure.
I acknowledge all of that, but there are blokes throughout the next two tiers of football in this country who tick those same boxes, but would never make it onto an AFL list.

Is Goddard quite that bad? No, but in the context of our list, especially given that we clearly had the intention to train Levi up as a defender, it's a move I don't see as logically sound.

That being said, he's coming in for Weitering, which is a reasonable substitution. It also is part of what is now giving Macreadie a chance to play a more senior role in the VFL side, which will hopefully be the making of him.

Apr 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I too am fearful for the backline. Things could potentially go really badly without Weitering.
they could but i think beating freo without cripps on their ground just goes to show its not about individual players its about the collective... as imporatnt as weiters is im not too worried...sometimes the dynamics pf different players works just as well ...plus it gives us an opportunity to see what goddard can offer

Mr_Plow

That name again...
May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Red Wings
they could but i think beating freo without cripps on their ground just goes to show its not about individual players its about the collective... as imporatnt as weiters is im not too worried...sometimes the dynamics pf different players works just as well ...plus it gives us an opportunity to see what goddard can offer

It's not so much the loss of talent, more the loss of intelligence back there. Weitering is the stabiliser. We'll just have to see if chaos ensues, particularly if Jones does his weird things again.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
He’s been managing injuries all year and has barley been able to train during the week, explains a fair bit then. Will be a good player for us long term.
Still kicked a goal almost every game and super unfit. Good signs in a way if can get a preseason under his belt.

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

cfc05

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2005
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
Brilliant to see VFL form finally rewarded, hopefully it is consistently rewarded moving forward.

Odd they for external purposes put managed on Mitch? Is he injured or dropped?

Interesting note:
Teague was forwards coach, and guided us through first half of season with 3 tall forwards every week. Appear to be lining up with one, maybe 2 this week.
Did he get it wrong as forwards coach? Is he learning on the job? Are we just picking players and then making a structure work after that?

blueman2012

Debutant
Nov 6, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ManUtd, NthnBlues
Interesting to see Lobbe as an Emergency :think:
This one suggests to me that Kreuz may not have come up as well as we have been led to believe from his concussion and could be a late scratching. Will be interesting to see who is on the plane... (I assume they fly up tomorrow morning - can anyone confirm?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back