Preview RND 17 - Carlton v Sydney Saturday 13th July 1.45PM (EST) @ SCG - Team Post #466

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 26, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
I’m flying up with my daughter for the game. Never been to the SCG so looking forward to the experience.
We will yell and cheer for our boys the loudest we can. Hoping for a close and hard fought win - after all it’s our turn this week to win the close one.
SCG great to watch games at, it seems Swans fans treat AFL as a social event and more engaging and not so tribal. I have taken my daughter up there a few times and she really enjoys it. Have fun up there!

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
I’m flying up with my daughter for the game. Never been to the SCG so looking forward to the experience.
We will yell and cheer for our boys the loudest we can. Hoping for a close and hard fought win - after all it’s our turn this week to win the close one.

Nice ground but has a unacceptable lack of Hot Jam Doughnuts :'(

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Brilliant to see VFL form finally rewarded, hopefully it is consistently rewarded moving forward.

Odd they for external purposes put managed on Mitch? Is he injured or dropped?

Interesting note:
Teague was forwards coach, and guided us through first half of season with 3 tall forwards every week. Appear to be lining up with one, maybe 2 this week.
Did he get it wrong as forwards coach? Is he learning on the job? Are we just picking players and then making a structure work after that?
While he was the forwards coach it's generally accepted that he was handcuffed to a large degree by Bolton. He himself has indicated that he would provide ideas and thoughts on our approach with not much reception by Bolts. He didn't name Bolton, or say it in that blunt of terms, but the implication was clear. Bolton wanted to minimize risk and play defensive, so Teagues ideas weren't going to work with that philosophy.

BluesvSwansRd17Profile.JPG

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
I am really pleased to see Goddard rewarded for consistently playing well at VFL level this season.

His marking, kicking & leadership will be important for us in the absence of Weiters. I suspect he & Jones will be our 2 talls in defence while Levi & Harry will be our 2 talls in the forward line.

The forward line has actually looked good with 2 talls & the likes of Kennedy, JSOS, Setters playing as the 3rd target inside 50. With Cripps back, he will also be able to rotate through the forward line. It makes it that bit harder to totally nullify our forward line when you have a number of marking targets able to rotate through there.

This is a winnable game for us, but we can't give the Swans a 5 goal headstart as they defend a lead very well on their home turf.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
He’s been managing injuries all year and has barley been able to train during the week, explains a fair bit then. Will be a good player for us long term.

Maybe but doesn’t excuse the weight. I’d be saying see you next in 2020. Get over the injuries and get yourself really fit. With everyone fit and some good recruiting he will need to be earning his spot

Aug 21, 2009
The Superego’s Palace
AFL Club
Carlton
Brilliant to see VFL form finally rewarded, hopefully it is consistently rewarded moving forward.

Odd they for external purposes put managed on Mitch? Is he injured or dropped?

Interesting note:
Teague was forwards coach, and guided us through first half of season with 3 tall forwards every week. Appear to be lining up with one, maybe 2 this week.
Did he get it wrong as forwards coach? Is he learning on the job? Are we just picking players and then making a structure work after that?
Yep good on Hugh for being rewarded. Best of luck to the lad 👍

As B70 said McGovern was unfit. So either his injuries have stopped him from training to be fit or he’s lazy. I’m going with injuries.

Teague was forwards coach yes, but was he in charge of who was picked and how they were structured? Or was he just given a structure to adhere to by Bolts and the MC? I’m tipping he was told what structures to work with but I’m Jon Snow in that area.

What I do like about Teague is his ability and willingness to change structures/tactics/matchups mid game. Me likey

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Chance if Cripps still not 100% and plays a chunk of each qtr as a tall fwd deep?

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk
At least now we've got Ed getting significant midfield time rather than hiding out on a flank and with Jack & Kennedy (& Setters to a lesser degree) there's more big bodies who can go in the middle so it's not just left to Walsh, SPS, Fish, Dow, & O'Brien (& Murph now too) battling it out against the bigger Sydney mids.

This one suggests to me that Kreuz may not have come up as well as we have been led to believe from his concussion and could be a late scratching. Will be interesting to see who is on the plane... (I assume they fly up tomorrow morning - can anyone confirm?)

Don't read in to it too much; you'll find most teams have ruck & KPP cover listed as emergencies for obvious reasons. With Levi's versatility to cover key back, key forward and pinch hit ruck, all we need on the bench is a tall back up in case of emergency, and with Flip being suspended the only real options were Lobbe or TDK. While I'd prefer TDK got the call up in the off chance something happened to Kreuz/Jones/Levi/etc, I also don't want him being caught as the travelling emergency and not playing any footy this week.

Aug 21, 2009
The Superego’s Palace
AFL Club
Carlton
Going to be windy af at the SCG tomorrow. Mostly fine day.

Happy to see the beast Cripps return. Interested to see how H goes without Charles and Gov in the F50.

Finally got a Goddard 🤪 Give em hell Hughy

Would really love to knock em off on their home turf.

Brilliant time slot for me as well, one of my favourites.

Fingers crossed Lang can show something, his spot on the list is on the line I’d say.

Setters and Bam Bam had 11 shots between them last week, keen to see if they reprise their forward roles.

Did I mention I’d love to knock em off on their deck, would be stupendous

Would love to see the Batman and Robin show again 💙

Jimmae did your cat take a dump in your weetbix yesterday or something? That was some sour posting lol

The selection of Goddard may have been somewhat unnecessary, given the tall backs we had and the few we have in development and don't be surprised should Kerr find himself playing in the back-line also. Why we then took Collins at the Northern Blues also.....?????
Anyway, Goddard has put in enough should an opening come about and it finally has with the loss of Weitering, Marchbank, CCurnow and McGovern omitted.

The 'March' Goddard would have raised an eyebrow should have he been called up.
The 'June' Goddard though is a different beast, therefore let's give him a chance before claiming him and out and out bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back