AFL Autopsy RND 17: Loss Against Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Good: Walla bouncing the ball into gleesons head
The punch on's
The rain

Bad: everything else

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve been following this club for more than 40 years and any kind of loss has hurt, especially a belting - but today I feel strangely accepting and indifferent....should I be concerned? 😕
Nope. If you've been following a club for that long I would hope you've realised there's more important things to be upset about by now. It's just sport.

Also, 4 flags!

We where bad but how frustrating is it that when you are playing like crap every bounce goes the wrong way or a bloke slips over at the wrong time. Probably 6 goals kicked that where more the bounce of the ball than any sort of good or bad play. Anyway we sucked after the first quarter. Anyone else cringe every time the opposition kicks a point as you know we will kick to the pocket and then long down the line and lose control of the ball and see it come back in. I wonder what the stat actually is for opposition scores after a point is kicked. Anyway whatever it is , list , coaches , injury or bad luck we are f’ed.

3. Darcy Parish- does some good stuff but some of his kicking is just kick and hope stuff or simply misses by a long way. Needs to be smarter with his defence.
4. Kyle Langford - better when he plays wing or half forward.Defensive efforts around the ground where average.
5. Dev Smith - was better but he kicks like Tom Hislop. Dinky high up and unders.
6- Joe Daniher - had a mare.
7. Zak Merrett - one of our best and is one of our best. Just has to find an A grade level more often and work on the mental approach to defending.
8. Marty Gleeson - did some good stuff but some of his one on one defending was cringe worthy.
9. Dyal Sheil - clearly playing for himself right now which is disappointing given last year he was one who did put effort into the team stuff. Kicking still sucks.
12. Tom Cutler - looks like Tarzan plays like Jane.
14. Jordan Ridley - has become the player that a few here expected he would.
17. James Stewart - good to see him get back. Bonus that he looked okay in defence.
20. James Townsend - wish we had more players with his aggression but he is just plain slow and an ordinary player.
25. Jake Stringer - clearly not fit right now but he has to find a consistent level to his game. Too much between his best and his worst.
30. Brandon Zerk Thatcher - glad they gave him the big challenge. Had his struggles but he kept at it. Good he has ggot some games.
33. Braydon Ham - the kid has some footy smarts but he is just too light and easily thrown out of the way in any contest.
34. Andrew Phillips - another average player has a crack but is limited.
35. Matt Geulfi - no doubting his courage and the fact he is a team player but too many kicks straight to the opposition.
37. Dyaln Clarke - tries hard but he is limited in what he can do. Looked a bit slow tonight as well.
38. Sam Draper - raw, aggressive and should provide us with a lot going forward. Will still need to hone his tap work.
40. Will Snelling - handy player but when you are his size and in a team of other short people you need something extra. Pressure and work rate is always good.
42. Adam Saad - great player but is feeling the pinch now that other is no other dashing defender in the side.
43. Anthony McDonald - Tipungwuti - Been down on last year. Like stringer needs to find a more consistent medium.
46. Mitchell Hibberd - could not have picked the ball up if it had a handle in the first half. Kept working hard and was reasonable as the game went on. Is not overly quick. He had plenty of opportunity to stamp himself on the contest around the ground but did not early.
Great summary
i disagree with your analysis of Merrett. His defensive actions are putrid and has zero physical impact on contests. He simply does not use the all well enough to be an outside mid. He also has little run and carry for this role.

Great summary
i disagree with your analysis of Merrett. His defensive actions are putrid and has zero physical impact on contests. He simply does not use the all well enough to be an outside mid. He also has little run and carry for this role.
Well I have been beaten up enough on the subject of Merrett already. I would not be arguing too loudly with your opinion.

I’ve been following this club for more than 40 years and any kind of loss has hurt, especially a belting - but today I feel strangely accepting and indifferent....should I be concerned? 😕

nope. many of us feel that. There is a degree of comfort that comes with acceptance :)

Ive said this before but at what point do you go, Brayden, you just aren't up to it?

He is 21 and isn't even remotely close to locking down a spot in the best 22. As a wing or a fwd, looks way off it imho

He’s a half back and we all know it. Every player on our list is a defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back