AFL Autopsy Rnd 18: 37 Point loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm guilty of being Gwilt's biggest knocker, but could his absence have allowed some of the easy goals we conceded in terms of being structurally poor?

Lots of people started leaving after Brisbane kicked a couple of quick ones at the start of the fourth quarter. I stayed because I always stay, but I couldn't say it was riveting football, until the last 5 minutes when we finally kicked it up a notch.

#leavebritneyalone
A lot of people stayed as a mark of respect for the young guys doing their best. And we were rewarded with Fantasia's goals.

I can fully understand why anyone would want to leave after yesterdays loss. To put it simply, we're all getting anxious to see another win, particularly as the seasons end is drawing near and yesterday's game was the best chance we had.

I wasn't there yesterday, but I was at the Anzac day match this year - I left about 7 mins into the 3rd qtr. The way I saw it, I could stay at the G surrounded by scummy pies supporters high fiving each other around me talking about how we're drug cheats whilst we get smashed on the field, or I could go home and spend some time with the wifey and pup.

If someone leave's early, it's better them cooling off.

i watched zaharakis very closely. he seems to just accept the tag, parking himself 15 metres off the ball and not (it seems) be willing enough to run through traffic to get the ball. and it wasn't as if mitch robinson was going really hard at him either. just stood next to him and a few pushes around the contest.

in the end he got sent him to half forward then half back.

I thought the Carlton game was a rival in terms of rank skill errors, lack of movement, structure etc. Which was THE other game we were expected to do okay in this year ...
Still, was pretty bad. Whole team lacked intensity from the start, yet I don't think there can be any question over tanking - unless goal kicking is considered. I often felt sorry for the bomber with the ball - you'd look down the field and there was sweet * all on most of time ...
I left after 10 minutes of the last quarter - though that might have been in savage reaction to eating a cold 17$ Kransky and chips (just to top the day off). Looks like Sam Michael has just earnt himself a few rounds after McKernans sorry, sorry effort.

i watched zaharakis very closely. he seems to just accept the tag, parking himself 15 metres off the ball and not (it seems) be willing enough to run through traffic to get the ball. and it wasn't as if mitch robinson was going really hard at him either. just stood next to him and a few pushes around the contest.

in the end he got sent him to half forward then half back.
If he is going to run around all day barely getting a kick, he should have made himself useful and tagged Rich.

Last edited:
......Looks like Sam Michael has just earnt himself a few rounds after McKernans sorry, sorry effort.
I am surprised McKernan is not playing MUCH better. He is 25yo that should be at the prime of his career. He should be setting an example to the 18-21 year olds in the team. There were guys playing on him that looked 15kg lighter that continuously outmuscled / out manoevered him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I said regardless of who was coaching they were not coaching to win yesterday. An extra man in defence from the outset that didn't work and they persisted with. Wasn't helping us defend and made going forward a disaster. No clamping down on rich or Rockliff. The lack of tactics have to be questioned. If you read back through last years posts I was one of the first to criticise Hird for his team selection and tactics. Hird's fanboys? What a childish comment. I wanted him judged as a football coach and not on the other matter. And likewise I'm entitled to question Worsfold as coach when he has a bad day. And I much prefer winning to draft picks - the tanking of Carlton and Melbourne never helped them so don't want Essendon doing similar.

And yes I was against Worsfold appointment for the following reasons:
1. Recycled coaches coming back from being out of the coaching role more often than not don't work.
2. Worsfold oversaw a poor culture at west coast and didn't do anything to rectify it at the time. Winning overtook everything including the long term health of his players.
3. Worsfold will only be a short term coach.
4. Could have used a long term option.
5. Believed there were better options available.
6. Concerned about the AFL influence in appointing him.
7. Concerned that Paul Little influenced the decision when he was jumping ship.

All the above is very real.

What on earth? The boys were busting a gut to win against Saints, GWS and Tigers. Who the hell tags Rockliff? There's not many tags full stop. Two top up players only, the rest is a depleted squad. It was just one of those weeks where we were off, we were due. Lions were better on the day. To think we tanked was ridiculous. What other moves seemed to indicate it?

Mathieson received a $1,000 fine from the MRP for kneeing Zerrett

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

So kneeing someone in the head is less than a tummy punch...right!

Because it is more pertinent to this thread than McKernan's player thread and I'm not interested in promoting a running commentary on the other posts.

Bit over the top innit, what's the big deal if it stays on the thread that it was responding to?

Amazing that the crowd for Bombers v Lions was the second largest for the round..... including Collingwood v Kangaroos, Geelong v Adelaide, WB v Saints, Port Adelaide v GWS. Only Hawks v Tigers was marginally bigger.

I can only imagine the crowd size we will attract in 2017 with a competitive team on the park every week.

Started a rewatch... self-flagellation? Probably.

Parish vs. Mathieson, rofl. Francis looks even better on TV... he played most of his footy down the Fletcher end yesterday, unfortunately for me.

Some of our guys just don't react well under pressure... Not just from the opposition but they put it on themselves and then rush and spud it up. Decision-making seems to just go out the window at times.... Perhaps a lack of level-headed/experienced guys out there yesterday taking it's toll? If nothing else, Gwilt probably stabilised the back line in that sense. Doubt Dempsey's attitude did anything to restore composure (and I don't want to beat up on him, but he's one of few experienced players that were out there :().

Remove this Banner Ad

Back