Preview Rnd 18 - Carlton v Brisbane Sat 19th Sept 7.40PM @ Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So at what point of the match (and margin) will the boys quit for the year? 3rd qtr, 20min mark - 40pts. Then they will go into 'kick it to simmo' mode with smiles on their face.
I wanna say we should give 100% effort every single game but reality is players can switch off when there is nothing to play for. Probably why our recent final games have been poor. This time it coincides with a blue champs last game so I’m hoping they will dig deep and make it memorable for simmo.

I wanna say we should give 100% effort every single game but reality is players can switch off when there is nothing to play for. Probably why our recent final games have been poor. This time it coincides with a blue champs last game so I’m hoping they will dig deep and make it memorable for simmo.

Hope is a dangerous word as a carlton supporter

Marchbank and Silvagni are clearly not available as per advice from the club previously, so not sure why some are inserting them into their sides for this game.

If Martin is ready, he comes back in. If Betts is retiring, he should be selected. If he's not, I'd rest him. Murphy will play because it's Simmo's last game.

I'm not looking to throw a whole team of youngsters to the wolves so wouldn't rest any of our prime movers, but I would make changes.

Out: Docherty (injured), Fisher (injured), Betts (managed), Curnow (managed), McGovern (omitted)

In: Martin, Philp, Ramsay, Kennedy

Plowman Weitering Simpson
Williamson Jones Ramsay

Walsh Cripps O'Brien
Casboult Setterfield Cuningham

Philp Kennedy Martin
Gibbons McKay De Koning

Murphy Newnes Petrevski-Seton Curnow

I want Casboult to be first ruck, with De Koning a forward ruck. I want Levi to get his hands on the ball in the middle of the ground and make the opposition ruck accountable. TDK can jump but our midfield doesn't win it anyway, so we can set up to win it off their ruck and Levi can use his bulk to hurt.

I'm looking at a more mobile forward setup by playing smaller across half forward. Kennedy has strong hands and is a dead eye kick for goal. People worried about his defensive running don't have to worry as much at half forward and he's in for McGovern who hasn't exactly been racking up the miles either.

Philp is quick and can play a defensive half forward role and apply forward pressure when the ball hits the ground as well. Ramsay is also quick and has a good kick. The knock on him is that he often doesn't lower his eyes. He played a lot of junior footy across half back so if he can be smarter, his pace and kicking is an asset.

I've started LOB where he belongs, on a wing, but I know his fitness base is not there. Fortunately 3 of my bench players can rotate on to the wing so it's not such a huge deal.

The last big change is Cuningham on to the ball. Everyone wants to see it again, there's no better opportunity than a dead rubber.
Not sure there's any point managing players in Round 18, ODN. If it is to be Betts last game, he'll play hell or highwater. Curnow won't be sitting out his mate's final game either.

So at what point of the match (and margin) will the boys quit for the year? 3rd qtr, 20min mark - 40pts. Then they will go into 'kick it to simmo' mode with smiles on their face.
Brisbane have nothing to play for in ladder position and so we will either get a hiding because they are just overall better or win by 3 goals and still finish 11th.

How can teams that seemed down and out like Brisbane rebound so quickly, whilst Carlton stay bottom 4 year in year out.

Brisbane have nothing to play for in ladder position and so we will either get a hiding because they are just overall better or win by 3 goals and still finish 11th.

How can teams that seemed down and out like Brisbane rebound so quickly, whilst Carlton stay bottom 4 year in year out.

Player development non existent at carlton - only the best manage to avoid being carltonised - weitering, walsh and cripps (cripps may have finally succumbed)

Not sure there's any point managing players in Round 18, ODN. If it is to be Betts last game, he'll play hell or highwater. Curnow won't be sitting out his mate's final game either.

Curnow is there. I had him in the outs up the top, but in the side down the bottom. I brought him back in for that exact reason.

My proviso for Betts is if he is going around again next year, he can rest.

I'm really just looking for ways to play some players in preferred positions, bring in a couple of pacy players and still give ourselves a chance at being competitive.

Betts hasn't been in form and is slowing down a heap as the season goes on. Can call it omitted if you like.

Last edited:
The combo of Simms’s last game and Lions having top 2 locked in works in our favour.

We did beat them last year, a win is not impossible given this yr the “good Carlton” has beaten Cats, hammered Dogs and Port nailed us after the siren.

Before Cats game I posted reasons why a win was not “impossible” (was fed up with the surrender monkeys finding a reason that we’d be flogged), just hope I’m right this time too.

Hard, yes of course, impossible, no. Playing a night game also suits, our day games not so great this year.

Last edited:
Mathematical hypotheticals......
If we win by couple of goals, Freo lose, & GWS lose by same margin, we go to 10th on ladder.
If we get beaten by Brisbane less than what Dockers get beaten by Western Bulldogs, we will overtake them on the ladder. 12th to 11th. (There is only 1.1 difference in percentage.)
If we lose and * beat Demons. (* overtake us) We go to 13th on ladder. So, pick 6 or 9 up for grabs. What do we prefer?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mathematical hypotheticals......
If we win by couple of goals, Freo lose, & GWS lose by same margin, we go to 10th on ladder.
If we get beaten by Brisbane less than what Dockers get beaten by Western Bulldogs, we will overtake them on the ladder. 12th to 11th. (There is only 1.1 difference in percentage.)
If we lose and * beat Demons. (* overtake us) We go to 13th on ladder. So, pick 6 or 9 up for grabs. What do we prefer?

A win - end of story. Carlton has shown draft picks are overrated.

The combo of Simms’s last game and Lions having top 2 locked in works in our favour.

We did beat them last year, a win is not impossible given this yr the “good Carlton” has beaten Cats, hammered Dogs and Port nailed us after the siren.

Before Cats game I posted reasons why a win was not “impossible” (was fed up with the surrender monkeys finding a reason that we we’d be flogged), just hope I’m right this time too.

Hard, yes of course, impossible, no. Playing a night game also suits, our day games not so great this year.

I have a saying " If it bleeds, we can kill it. ".

Until bloody Leigh Matthews stole it off me.

If we go 5 goals down... the boys will start thinking about post game brewskies guaranteed

Having a post season 'debrief' is a much tastier proposition on the back of a succesful outcome. Loser beers taste like arse.
It may well go against afl union rules, not saying its the right thing, but as a coach I would have a 'cool down' training week lined up if we lose. A couple 20km hill runs, 2 hr hot yoga sessions and mowing some lucky CFC members lawns Saturday/Sunday the following weekend.
Finish strong blues.

One last preview for 2020. Unreal how time flies.

Hi,

Very, very important that we honour one of our all time greats with a performance that matches the sentiments that have been expressed about Simmo by the leaders of the playing group. Would be a very bad look if we just rollover and are uncompetitive. If we can't win it, lets at least hope the players wring every drop of effort out of themselves in trying. Would mean a lot to me if we can win it. It would be a great way to send off a much admired player and maybe, just maybe become the standard required every week when our team goes out to play.

Thanks for your match previews and off season analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back