Preview Rnd 18 - Carlton v Brisbane Sat 19th Sept 7.40PM @ Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lions have some serious height in their forward line with Hipwood, McInerney and McStay. Weiters will take whoever is playing closer to goal, Jones will take one of the first two. We will need McGovern or Casboult down back for the other one. Just too much height for the way Plowman plays. Casboult on McInerney works for me, or Gov on McStay.

Still gives us McKay, TDK and the other one of Levi/Gov up forward.

I think it is 8 190cm players a piece and the Lions have 2 rucks in their side too, so maybe not as bad as it first seemed.

McGovern not dropped and bringing Pitto in is buffling. Way too tall.

LOB and Dow both dropped after one game in recent weeks is telling. Both looked miles off it in their recent games. I honestly think they’re both on the table.

In saying that McGovern needed to be dropped before LOB this week and LOB looked miles off it and was running in quick sand last game.... that’s how bad gov went.

McGovern not dropped and bringing Pitto in is buffling. Way too tall.

LOB and Dow both dropped after one game in recent weeks is telling. Both looked miles off it in their recent games. I honestly think they’re both on the table.

In saying that McGovern needed to be dropped before LOB this week and LOB looked miles off it and was running in quick sand last game.... that’s how bad gov went.

I've giving a pass to those who didn't get many senior games this year. Almost all of them ran out of steam quickly in matches. Lack of proper training and proper matches has really messed with them.

I've giving a pass to those who didn't get many senior games this year. Almost all of them ran out of steam quickly in matches. Lack of proper training and proper matches has really messed with them.

That’s fair to a degree but the quarters have been shorter and they’re still playing scratch matches. LOB being a good natural runner and fresh in his first senior game for the year needed to dish up better, he was horrible and miles off the pace. Walsh is a year younger and clocks up 13km a game off 4 day breaks and gets involved. Yes Walsh is a freak but LOB was meant to be a distance runner as well and his effort was a disgrace. We’ve got the first two picks in the 2017 draft horribly wrong at this stage and given the lack of “credits” both boys seem to have at the moment I think the club thinks the same as well.

Fair call Frumpy however given Kennedys usual low time on ground percentage indicating he isnt fit enough for a full time or close to mid spot one would think he will have to spend some time forward .
It still startles me how many people think kennedy is a midfielder, he wasnt a starting midfielder at his home club let alone an AFL club, but up forward who could rotate through the midfield. If McGovern wasnt there he would be your 3rd marking option up front who can reliably kick them from outside 50. Pity some clown thought McGovern was worth 800 and now he keeps getting game time to try and justify the decision

Lions have some serious height in their forward line with Hipwood, McInerney and McStay. Weiters will take whoever is playing closer to goal, Jones will take one of the first two. We will need McGovern or Casboult down back for the other one. Just too much height for the way Plowman plays. Casboult on McInerney works for me, or Gov on McStay.

Still gives us McKay, TDK and the other one of Levi/Gov up forward.

I think it is 8 190cm players a piece and the Lions have 2 rucks in their side too, so maybe not as bad as it first seemed.

Our height isn't the issue, it is the ball movement

It won't be fixed this game, but it can certainly start here

Last week, I felt the Swans had better setup and structure, but the Lions had the better execution

Regardless of some debatable ins and simmos last appearance. It is about retaining and controlling the football for longer periods of time. Then convert in front of goal. The most frustrating aspect of the run ons by the opposition is we panic, fumble and select the wrong option continually. Our lack of intrinsic trust in positioning and individuals skill sets is lost. The spine of the team is exactly who we should be looking at.
Weitering, elite and i feel confident when he has ball in hand
Jones, Unpredictable, i do not feel confident when he has bell in hand
Cripps, caryying injury, out of form cannot provide the" captains goal" when required
Casboult, sticky hands big body, cannot provide enough scoreboard impact
Mckay, top 5 forward in the comp, will be elite in no time. Still a baby.
Two out of Five is not enough, these are positions of leadership and authority on the ground.
Brisbane will be without andrews and are hopefully looking passed us to the finals, we may have a sneaky chance.
Trading for a half back flanker/midfielder eg Williams will not solve our problems.

100% spot on. If the coach is getting up and talking about earning games, it has to be club wide. You keep rewarding the sort of sh*t gov dishes up and that's just going to spread. You bring someone in because they've apparently earned a spot, then drop them if they don't set the joint alight? fu** off. Mcgovern has been there all year when 'fit' and has not had 1 good game. He has done no more than owies, philp, polson, LOB yet they all get dropped straight away.

McGovern gets himself sent off to fat farm because he can't even keep himself fit enough to be a professional sportsman, then gets brought straight back in. It's sickening. How do you intend to build a winning culture if this is the sort of effort getting rewarded?

Nail on the head

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It still startles me how many people think kennedy is a midfielder, he wasnt a starting midfielder at his home club let alone an AFL club, but up forward who could rotate through the midfield. If McGovern wasnt there he would be your 3rd marking option up front who can reliably kick them from outside 50. Pity some clown thought McGovern was worth 800 and now he keeps getting game time to try and justify the decision
I always thought he would possibly transition to a mid role eventually .
But he's had an horific run with injury and seems he just hasnt been able to build his fitness to the point he can play midfield consistently going by his low % time on ground .
As you say his best work has been as a forward and agree should be used there in place of Mcgovern who does not deserve to be anywhere near the senior side atm .
Having said that whats the bet Mcgovern kicks a few snags this week good luck to him .

No matter what happens in this game, it should be wiped from the memories of the List Management team and the executive.
A great performance by team or individuals should have no bearing on what we need to do, as would be the case for a terrible performance.

Just don't watch the game would be my advice.

Unfortunately unfit was treading water last week after one quarter.Scratch matches do bugger all.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It is the sort of decision that will have our players jumping at shadows...it is terrible for his development. Same thing happened to Dow. In my opinion they should be given a run of games to improve their match fitness to a point that they can prove themselves.

Would like to see us try to take the game on tonight like we were doing early in the year. Use the corridor and look to move the ball on quickly to give our forwards a chance. We’ve reverted to long and slow down the line in the past 4-5 weeks. It’s not producing results and it’s bad to watch. Have a go boys, release the shackles.

From a Lions fan: I'm hoping you don't win of course but if you do, it will be because
your players will be putting in something extra for Kade Simpson. Our coach, midweek,
described him as "an ornament to the game" and I agree. He has been my favourite
opposition player for years. Given his build, his courage has been extraordinary. Also,
highly skilled, intelligent ball user and super consistent. Played through your
darkest years and held his head high the whole time. Remarkable career. Absolute champion.

It is the sort of decision that will have our players jumping at shadows...it is terrible for his development. Same thing happened to Dow. In my opinion they should be given a run of games to improve their match fitness to a point that they can prove themselves.

Agree however I’d like to see what happens next year,if their still not in the seniors then we have(they) have issues.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I second this. We’ve got to go in and play 4 quarters every game regardless if dead rubber game or not. Gotta build that mind set in all our players not just a few.
Losing the games that were a chance to stand up and count...they have really hurt.
I can see improvement though, and am excited for 2021.
Names like Pitt and Polsen, if I am excruciatingly honest..they do not fill me with excitement or joy. For so many years we have had bunches of players that were not quite the solid B or C plus that all teams include. C level...should be for injury cover only.
The jury is out on quite a few. Will they become the solid players we need, or are they fill-ins 'till we get the right players. Who knows?

What I do know is we can't get any more in that aren't at least B plus to A.level.
We just can't.
It has to be finals next year.
Quite a few names being thrown around now seem to be just that.
please....no more hacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back