Preview Rnd 18 - Carlton v Brisbane Sat 19th Sept 7.40PM @ Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lions have some serious height in their forward line with Hipwood, McInerney and McStay. Weiters will take whoever is playing closer to goal, Jones will take one of the first two. We will need McGovern or Casboult down back for the other one. Just too much height for the way Plowman plays. Casboult on McInerney works for me, or Gov on McStay.

Still gives us McKay, TDK and the other one of Levi/Gov up forward.

I think it is 8 190cm players a piece and the Lions have 2 rucks in their side too, so maybe not as bad as it first seemed.
I can see Plow taking Cameron so this makes sense. Playing Levi back sits with me.

I can see Plow taking Cameron so this makes sense. Playing Levi back sits with me.

I see Plow on Cameron too. Just the way we usually play him. Williamson doesn't have the experience and Plow can go with Cameron in the air.

Don't mind the Polson selection, thought he did okay in his 2nd game this year and is the most suitable Doc replacement who's not also injured.

Bringing in Kennedy and Pitto while keeping McGovern and the other talls though??? And risking a Martin injury in a pointless game at the end of a season?????
Polson and Kennedy as trade bait so worth giving them a chance to shine. Cant find any other reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sorry

I'm really sorry

But how in fu**s name does Mitchell McGovern get a game after last week?

I am off this club
He might have an injuryor illness. We know he is important for structure.
I have been a big fan of Guv but so disappointed wumith his peformance last few games.
I want to see him lift tonite. Not convinced he will.

Carlton has a terrible track record with player development. So often the blame is laid on supposed dud draft picks, but imo we stink at cultivating players.
Have often pondered this. Hopefully A. Russell turns this around. Would like us to retire the stoppage coach also. Some new new mid-field coaches would be awesome.

I'm fine with 3 of the 4 changes. If Martin has been assessed as fit to play then he plays. If Polson and Kennedy are the best available ins for those roles then they play, doesn't matter what the plans are for next year. Part of building that winning culture that so many here like to talk about is doing your best to win each game, and that means picking teams to win games first and develop players second, not the other way around.

But then we come to Pittonet for LOB. Pitto for McGovern I could mostly understand. Pitto for Levi, well, OK. Cottrell for LOB, alright. But this...? Usually I can at least imagine a plausible explanation for a change even if I don't agree with it. This time I've got nothing.

Our height isn't the issue, it is the ball movement

It won't be fixed this game, but it can certainly start here

Last week, I felt the Swans had better setup and structure, but the Lions had the better execution
It's ball movement I50 combined with poor positioning of forwards.

We talk about forward structure with H, Levi and McG but I havent seen that combo work effectively together. Replace McG with CC and it may have been different, but still think our forward setup needs a bit of work.

I see Plow on Cameron too. Just the way we usually play him. Williamson doesn't have the experience and Plow can go with Cameron in the air.
Overall this year (more likely since he’s been with us)McGovern has given us slightly north of zero return in the forward line, no harm trying him in another position, otherwise drop him or trade him. The Beagles would take him in a heartbeat.
Send him to halfback...he’s quick, good leap and leg...if he fails fhimoff..
I would rather give youngsters game time @half forward.

Last edited:
Bit of a depressing thought but just realising how beige and bland our side is.

When we had players like Fev, Yarran and Jeppy Garlett you could go into these games thinking 'If they get off the chain tonight we are a chance'. Essendon at least have it with Tipper, Stringer, Daniher and even Saad.

Trying to look at our X-factors tonight - Harry Mckay definitely - could come out and kick six, maybe Jack Martin and maybe TDK.

When we had players like Fev, Yarran and Jeppy Garlett you could go into these games thinking 'If they get off the chain tonight we are a chance'. Essendon at least have it with Tipper, Stringer, Daniher and even Saad.

Trying to look at our X-factors tonight - Harry Mckay definitely - could come out and kick six, maybe Jack Martin and maybe TDK.
It's hard when our biggest X-factor player has been injured for the whole season.

Add C Curnow to that mix and it's a very different story.

Stringer?

Overweight overated.

Please spare me.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back