Preview RND 18 - Carlton v Collingwood Sun 18th July 3.20PM @ MCG - Team Post #401

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think MC are aware lob is still on the list. Only explanation I can think of.

There was a lot of talk about Paddy Dow and Obrien having had serious offers from Geelong over the break - I would not be at all surprised if Obrien had accepted an offer and will move and the CFC wont play him on that basis.

Only explanation I can think of - we are desperate for pace, desperate for endurance as we fade out, desperate for deep penetrating kicks especially under pressure - he offers all of it including great intercept marks and defensive pressure with tackles.

Will be an interesting one to watch.

There was a lot of talk about Paddy Dow and Obrien having had serious offers from Geelong over the break - I would not be at all surprised if Obrien had accepted an offer and will move and the CFC wont play him on that basis.

Only explanation I can think of - we are desperate for pace, desperate for endurance as we fade out, desperate for deep penetrating kicks especially under pressure - he offers all of it including great intercept marks and defensive pressure with tackles.

Will be an interesting one to watch.
O'Brien is an intercept marking tackling machine too now is he?

Can we stop with this fantasy?

Being physically ready pretty much means nothing to most teams, hasn't to Carlton historically and is pretty much reserved for Teague.

Ramsay was putting up 28 possessions over a month ago and got no call up - 20 possessions is huge for that level. Of course we all know who got called up instead.

The excuses people make for Teague's refusal to develop is astonishing - literally none of them apply to any other team.
I think it does ‘physicality’ matter with some/certain players but i understand where your coming from, personally i fully understand the players doing their development time in the reserves, just a much as underdone players with long injury layoffs should also be not rushed strait back in and given the opportunity to find form and fitness back through the reserves until they are right too go, ahead of fit players who deserve a go...

O’Brien at another team next year will leave egg on some of our coaches and supporters faces. I think there might be a couple more on that front as well. I’m sure the usual excuses will be trotted out.
we are possibly the worse club at player development ... which boils down to resource management

LOB has the running qualities of Walsh without some of the skills and determination...at CFC we rely on players to either already be Elite eg,Judd,Walsh....or find their own way to to that level eg.Cripps......Lob has a great basis to work on and simply his ability has been squandered,he does look good and should be slighty better by now
other examples include who should be far better by now are-
Dow
Samo
Fisher
Lob
if Fisher made it to Bulldogs etc......you wont want to know.......he would totally be incorporated into a level of play he probably would excell at,Samo as well
its obvious...and quite disappointing

Beveridge likes to keep players on their toes, regardless of stature and pay, by constantly rotating and removing players who don’t execute the plan.
Wallis, as VC, has spent most of the year in the 2s. JJ has been down there. Former captain Easton Wood as well.
Pretty much the opposite of us where we have underperforming players who know they will never be dropped due to a combination of their “talent” and the fact we are very risk averse (e.g. we rush an underdone Martin back in the hope that he players up to his potential instead of trying a player from the 2s who might step up)
Having a midfield that bats 12 deep helps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we are possibly the worse club at player development ... which boils down to resource management

LOB has the running qualities of Walsh without some of the skills and determination...at CFC we rely on players to either already be Elite eg,Judd,Walsh....or find their own way to to that level eg.Cripps......Lob has a great basis to work on and simply his ability has been squandered,he does look good and should be slighty better by now
other examples include who should be far better by now are-
Dow
Samo
Fisher
Lob
if Fisher made it to Bulldogs etc......you wont want to know.......he would totally be incorporated into a level of play he probably would excell at,Samo as well
its obvious...and quite disappointing
No he doesn't.

Nor does he have the mental strength to push himself to the point of exhaustion like Walsh does (don't worry, very few every have)

Walsh would blow him up if they ran head to head all day

Great athlete but lacks footy IQ. Can we teach him to negate and tackle, and turn him into a tagger to succeed Ed Curnow?

So basically the type of players we have tried desperately to move on in previous seasons.

And it took Simmo 2-3 games to get a touch. I’m not against playing the kids but you’re looking at the situation as 1s vs 2s issue. The issue is the reserves are our development side meaning the kids playing 2s are developing. No one wants to or needs to risk ruining a kids head giving him a game ahead of an experienced player when he’s not ready. I’m sure if O’Keefe and Power and Teague thought he was ready they’d play him.
Simmo played all of 20 minutes total across those 3 games. He was hardly in the park.

I was in the same camp JB and mentioned about 5/6 weeks ago that Ramsay was not yet physically ready for senior footy, that was also equally about his overall output/impact in possessions, the quality of how and where he was getting them...

Of the few games I’ve watched in this recent period his overall possession numbers have jumped up to almost double, the quality and impact have increased, also has improved with covering and winning in better areas of the ground...

Although he is physically not ready his form has like a few others in the reserves have been deserving of a game or two either off the bench or as a sub far more than quite a few players we have played that have been injured, underdone, rushed back in from long layoffs, continued poor form, dropped and bought strait back in without earning it and picking & playing certain players in positions that are not suited for them...

I just think we have poorly played many players that shouldn’t have been playing for a number of reasons when a handful of fit youngsters have deserved a chance on the back of solid form ahead of them...

Good point mate. And you’re right. If we could limit his exposure it would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back