Preview RND 18 - Carlton v Collingwood Sun 18th July 3.20PM @ MCG - Team Post #401

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

There's obviously more to it than being 'a Carlton thing', there's obviously a reson behind the move.

From this weeks VFL Players report:

"He competed quite well defensively when the ball was on the ground: it was just when the ball moved away that he just started to track the contest a little bit, so we just want to make sure his defensive mindset is really strong, particularly when he can’t influence the play. Then he can get himself into more contests moving forward, which is what we want: we want the ball in his hands, he showed how well he can do that."

Surprise, Surprise......Development. They'll bring him into the team when they think he's ready, If he's not in this week then it means he's still working on things. I'm happy to see that we can identify areas that players need to improve in and use the reserves games to work on those areas of their games.

I think our development coaches are doing a good job pointing out weakness and focusing on bettering those areas. However a player having some things to work on is no reason to not play them, not when finals is done and we have many players who have multiple really weak areas of their game, many who will not better these areas. He's got a lot of what the team lacks, he's playing well enough to develop in the seniors. We are slow to give young guys a chance such as Stocker. We're very slow with things including making match day moves and improving gameplans etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

trouble is - and I hope the same - where does this hardness go to? do we need the loss of a club legend to toughen us, galvanise us to a better effort? puzzling

Maybe its just a reminder to the current players of the blood, sweat and tears put in by those players before them that made the Carlton Football Club what it is.
Losing any player, current or past, legend or one gamer can galvanize a playing group.
It's what makes us human.
Checking ego's at the door and come out as one.
The players will come out hard and us supporters will be shouting that little bit louder.
Maybe, just maybe this could kickstart something within the playing group.
:)

Ramsay been getting more ball and better disposal by foot than any other young mid then moves hb for same result -no player in the VFL since this rebuild started has shown his consistency over such an extended number of games especially in multiple positions .. if he can't come into this side(without simply replacing an injured body ) with pies playing so many young players there is surely something up with our integrity ..

Carlton are very slow when it comes to making good moves. On field, selection, game plan. We are the slowest club when it comes to making necessary change. We are still making so many horrible mistakes over and over again. One area where we are painfully slow is how long it takes us to realise when a young player is ready for selection. The other area we are slow with is figuring out who can and can't play what roles/positions. For example, Setterfield is a terrible wingman, Ramsay has been ready to go the last month. Teague is very very slow.

RIP Serge. I expect the whole club to get around the family this week.

If Jack does play, I expect him to inspire a fire in his team mates that will carry through to the final siren.

Do it for Serge.
we won't notice any difference in jack, that's all he knows........

Semi-confirmed/tentative in: Jones
Confirmed out: Setterfield

LOB, Honey, Cottrell, Fisher, Williamson, Fogarty, Betts, Newman all named on an extended bench.
At this stage of the year, would like to see all of LOB, Honey and Fisher get their 2021 opportunities.

Shame that Ramsay has yet to get a look in, alas, this is the coaching staff fighting for their livelihoods, so I don't begrudge them. I am, though, annoyed that the football boss allows this to happen.

I bet Fog and Willo miss out.

Fish and Cotts in. Although they may just have to finally pick Honey. But history would predict Cotts and Fish at best.

We normally have a forward, defender and 2 midfielders on the bench so you'd think it's likely to be...

Williamson vs Newman for the 7th defender
Honey, Betts, Fogarty for the 7th forward spot
And LOB and Fisher for the 2 midfield spots.

I expect Fisher to get one of the midfield spots but instead SPS/Martin to play midfield rather than forward as named and thus we take 2 forwards from the bench in Betts and Fogarty. Why, because we seem to be pretty predictable and unwilling to give players like Honey and LOB a real go. Williamson in the same boat and likely to lose out to Newman.

Strange no tall options in case Jones doesn't get up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back