Preview Rnd 18 - Carlton v Hawthorn Sunday 22nd July 1.10PM @ Etihad - Final Team Post #352

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't think Levi earned the call up, though his work rate wasn't awful. Not sure how Polson gets a game ahead of Garlett.
He had his moments last week, but one would think he got the nod to prevent the need for H to play in the ruck. Lobbe is a bit of a fitness question mark given how much game time he has missed this year, so Levi may ruck a little bit more than usual.

I think it's Wright ahead of Garlett, rather than Polson. At least Polson brings some pressure to the forwardline.
Fisher, SPS and Pickett could just as easily take turns there. Garlett's been hitting targets under pressure and providing an outlet, while Polson's been fumbling all over the place when he gets his chance at the footy.

Garlett is definitely not the player he was in 2015-2016, but anyone who saw him last year knew it would be a year before that came to fruition. Still a very handy player as he rebuilds his fitness base while surviving a professional program and 18-20 games of footy.

I just don't see how we're losing horribly on the defensive phases of play with the loss Polson, and we're not gaining anything offensively from him at present.

He's been an absolute liability the last few weeks.
And for all the people saying we're too tall (I don't disagree), at least this week we are tall in the forwardline, the backline is much better balanced.
Think id rather our backline that is out than in

Garlett is definitely not the player he was in 2015-2016, but anyone who saw him last year knew it would be a year before that came to fruition. Still a very handy player as he rebuilds his fitness base while surviving a professional program and 18-20 games of footy.

I think his shoulder injury in the JLT is a bigger influence than we're acknowledging.

Fisher, SPS and Pickett could just as easily take turns there. Garlett's been hitting targets under pressure and providing an outlet, while Polson's been fumbling all over the place when he gets his chance at the footy.

I just don't see how we're losing horribly on the defensive phases of play with the loss Polson, and we're not gaining anything offensively from him at present.
I’d really love for Polson to prove me wrong, but from what I’ve see so far he’s that guy who’s AFL skilled but plays at VFL tempo in decision making/disposal.

I’d really love for Polson to prove me wrong, but from what I’ve see so far he’s that guy who’s AFL skilled but plays at VFL tempo in decision making/disposal.
At this point I'm not prepared to rule out his fitness levels being a factor (i.e. he blows up by running too hard and can't maintain balance/concentration to deliver the football).

Yeah so wheres that form been?

I hope he shows it, but theres a reason we got him for pick 18843
Lobbe is a good ruck. Not his fault he was displaced by Ryder.

Not sure if you have seen him at Northern Blues but looks a shadow of the player he was.

Has been ineffective at VFL level so not what sure what he'll bring on Sunday.

At this point I'm not prepared to rule out his fitness levels being a factor (i.e. he blows up by running too hard and can't maintain balance/concentration to deliver the football).
Honestly I hope you’re right.

Just think he could end up being Nick Graham MkII

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By and large not great players either...its no wonder we are struggling.

Not many numbers in the most important age bracket and those that are there aren't that good.
Yet some people look at the average age & games for our players & compare it to our opponents & would have you believe our list is similar to our opponents. The true story is not too hard to find, but doesn't suit the agenda of some.

Last edited:
I suppose the Casboult selection kind of makes sense. Allows for McKay to stay up the ground and work with Charlie in the forward line.
Looks like Rowe won't reach 100 games this year. Might not at all if he decides to call it time or the club agree to part ways.

But the Polson selection is baffling. It's almost as if the team wants to lose games (as it's like them playing one man short). The kid is that far from AFL standard right now, it's not funny. I'm guessing he's probably the coaches pet.

Playing young kids is one thing, but it's another thing when we are rewarding poor performances. SPS, Fisher, Sivagni, O'Brien and McKay at least have shown signs on a regular basis and deserve their spots.

The fact that McKay got ignored for a few games yet Polson gets named in the starting 18 after coming of 3 possessions & two clangers, just about sums it up for me. The MC or whoever is responsible for the team selection need to get their heads examined.
Yes Polson is very scrappy,speedy and tries but so far has been ineffective ....they must see something we dont
maybe the kid is committed to carlton and they know he will work down the track...??
ps...we are still going to lose without Polson,maybe just add a goal or two for him.

July21OpenTrainingArticle.jpg

I thought we only got smoked on game day...

I agree with that summation, but that particular issue is not something that can be fixed by playing VFL. If he'd played 30-50 games and was still making the mistakes, still fumbling, still rushing his kicks, then that'd be a problem. But he's not played 10 games yet.

Honestly I hope you’re right.

Just think he could end up being Nick Graham MkII

Nick Graham = A player picked up in the 50's yet spoken about as though he was taken with a top ten pick. :)

Polson is OK and is being given a chance to prove himself. No harm done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back