Preview RND 19 - Carlton v North Melbourne Saturday 24th July 1.45PM @ Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1626615016832.png
Battle of the McKay's

1626615619302.png

Finally the long-anticipated matchup Harry Vs Ben, who will come out on top?
Ben has come a long way this year, starting to solidify himself as one of the top young defenders in the game and Harry is leading the Colman by 10 goals, with 52 goals..
Shapes to be one super important match up.

Key Match Ups

Defence
Saad vs Stephenson -
Stephenson has had our measure in recent matches against the Pies, Saad gets the nod from me.. Time for Saad to play a defensive role.
Weitering vs Larkey - Larkey will need to keep Weitering away from the ball or Jacob is going to have a field day.

Midfield
Dow vs Davis-Uniacke
- Battle of the 2017 draft, both have taken forward steps in the past month, who is going to step up..
Walsh vs Phillips - Good luck Will, you'll need it..

Forward
Harry McKay vs Ben McKay
- Should be a super matchup expect Harry to get the chocolates
Silvagni vs Ziebell - Silvagni will need to lock down Ziebell who is their prime playmaker out of defence.

Last Time We Met
Carlton Won by 7 points
North Melbourne 9.3 =67 vs Carlton 9.10=74

Over recent history North Melbourne have been one of our bogey sides and have given us some almighty floggings.. Time to get one back

In's /Out's and Line Up
Don't want to mess to much with a winning formula
In: Cripps
Out: Cottrell

FB - Plowman - Jones - Saad
HB - Stocker - Weitering - Williams
C - Newnes - Walsh - Williamson
HF - Silvagni - Cripps - Martin
FF - Owies - McKay - Betts
FOL - De Koning - Dow - Kennedy
BENCH - Curnow - SPS - Fisher - Newman

Predictions
Game to be tight at half time, then Blues to blow them away in the second half..
  • Blues by 47 points​
  • McKay to kick 7​
  • Walsh 3 Brownlow votes​
Over to you guy's!!!

(Mod's please delete post if not wanted, just saw we didn't have one)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the endurance running provided by Cotts and Williamson on the wings (with Newnes) would have impressed them.

The midfield functioned superbly without Cripps. It had zip and two way running. Inteiguing.

But anyway he’s back in and on ball.

Option 1 is one of the wingers. Option 2 is Owies. Newnes copped a heavy knock and could be rested I guess. Allowing Walsh to push back to wing/mid.

I think we played a really poor intercept marking side this week and we got away with Mckay and a group of short people. That’s not a reliable way forward. I think they’ll play Crippsforward more. Maybe rotating with Kennedy. Just to bring the ball to ground.

So I think Cripps in, Owies out.

In: Cripps, O'Brien
Out: Newnes, Cottrell

B: Plowman----------------Jones----------------Newman

H: Williams---------------Weitering--------------Saad

C: SPS--------------------Cripps----------------O'Brien

H: Martin-----------------Silvagni----------------Fisher

F: Betts-------------------McKay-----------------Owies

Foll: De Koning, Dow, Walsh

Bench: Williamson, Kennedy, Stocker (mid), E.Curnow

Left field suggestion. Do we “manage“ Ed Curnow. We know Charlie was intent on playing beside his big brother for his 200th.
Would allow Charlie an extra week of conditioning to make it viable. Like a few players, Ed could do with a week off. Just A bit difficult to visualise happening while we area mathematical chance of playing finals. The old boys are Teaguey’s go to.

How is he going to juggle Cripps back and potentially keeping Murphy’s 300 alive?

Newnes and Williams both smashed in the back, probably need a rest anyway, Cotts will stay, Cripps can have another week. Time for rolling three week blocks overlapping Kemp Honey, Ramsay and Carroll.

I think the endurance running provided by Cotts and Williamson on the wings (with Newnes) would have impressed them.

The midfield functioned superbly without Cripps. It had zip and two way running. Inteiguing.

But anyway he’s back in and on ball.

Option 1 is one of the wingers. Option 2 is Owies. Newnes copped a heavy knock and could be rested I guess. Allowing Walsh to push back to wing/mid.

I think we played a really poor intercept marking side this week and we got away with Mckay and a group of short people. That’s not a reliable way forward. I think they’ll play Crippsforward more. Maybe rotating with Kennedy. Just to bring the ball to ground.

So I think Cripps in, Owies out.

What’s the point of bringing the ball to the ground if Owies isn’t there - we need him and Betts.

As you said Newnes may be injured as could one or two others. But I think Owies survives even as we try to fit back Murphy and Charlie into the side in coming weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What’s the point of bringing the ball to the ground if Owies isn’t there - we need him and Betts.

As you said Newnes may be injured as could one or two others. But I think Owies survives even as we try to fit back Murphy and Charlie into the side in coming weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’d guess Charlie will need at least 1-2 (leaning towards 2) more games in the twos.

As for Murphy, he has 4 games to reach the milestone out of 5. I suspect if they’re intent on getting him to the number, he’l be medical sub for the first two of those games.

Owies should retain his spot regardless. He’s the only genuine small forward we have in that lineup bar Betts. Fisher showed (yet again) he is a midfielder.

Williamson, Newnes, Cottrell and Newman for mine are the ones who I think will be holding their spot on a week to week proposition.

They ain’t no easy beats. And they’ll be adding cunnington and Anderson to their line up. Shame we didn’t get them in the first half of the year.

Agree. They beat WC in Perth and gave Essendon a good run for their money in their last 2 games. This will be a tough game.

On first half performance, I would have dropped 18 of the 22 players. On second half performance, I’d be tempted to keep everyone in.

Injury permitting, I believe Cripps comes in…but he should have his stoppage attendances drastically reduced for the benefit of the team and himself. Play him 80% forward with spurts in the middle. Leave the midfield work to Kennedy, Walsh, Dow, Fisher, SPS and Curnow.

I watch all their games, they’ve been very competitive for a number of weeks now. They’re big on pressure when the opposition has the ball and they’re moving the ball well themselves. Young team that struggles to play four quarters.

Stephenson plays up the ground now, high possession midfielder and it’s more likely he lines up against Cottrell or Newnes, maybe even a job for Ed.

Eddie Betts will have a prick of a day with Turner wearing him like a glove, he’ll need lots of support from his team mates. Stocker will get Zurhaar, will be a good learning experience for him. The key with this guy is limiting the supply because he can really do some damage if the ball starts coming his way.

Good opportunity for our young midfield to bully a team for once but if Cunners is back in and we try this front running s**t again it could go pear shaped. Despite their current level this is a hungry and well drilled team.

Ziebell is a good player but a high number of his kicks go long but straight to an opposition player. Hall has been an absolute running machine for them this year and McDonald seems to be getting back into form, was good yesterday. Forward pressure will be very important because they set up a lot of play from half back with those three and Atley.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Battle of the McKay's

View attachment 1181045

Finally the long-anticipated matchup Harry Vs Ben, who will come out on top?
Ben has come a long way this year, starting to solidify himself as one of the top young defenders in the game and Harry is leading the Colman by 10 goals, with 52 goals..
Shapes to be one super important match up.

Key Match Ups

Defence
Saad vs Stephenson -
Stephenson has had our measure in recent matches against the Pies, Saad gets the nod from me.. Time for Saad to play a defensive role.
Weitering vs Larkey - Larkey will need to keep Weitering away from the ball or Jacob is going to have a field day.

Midfield
Dow vs Davis-Uniacke
- Battle of the 2017 draft, both have taken forward steps in the past month, who is going to step up..
Walsh vs Phillips - Good luck Will, you'll need it..

Forward
Harry McKay vs Ben McKay
- Should be a super matchup expect Harry to get the chocolates
Silvagni vs Ziebell - Silvagni will need to lock down Ziebell who is their prime playmaker out of defence.

Last Time We Met
Carlton Won by 7 points
North Melbourne 9.3 =67 vs Carlton 9.10=74

Over recent history North Melbourne have been one of our bogey sides and have given us some almighty floggings.. Time to get one back

In's /Out's and Line Up
Don't want to mess to much with a winning formula
In: Cripps
Out: Cottrell

FB - Plowman - Jones - Saad
HB - Stocker - Weitering - Williams
C - Newnes - Walsh - Williamson
HF - Silvagni - Cripps - Martin
FF - Owies - McKay - Betts
FOL - De Koning - Dow - Kennedy
BENCH - Curnow - SPS - Fisher - Newman

Predictions
Game to be tight at half time, then Blues to blow them away in the second half..
  • Blues by 47 points​
  • McKay to kick 7​
  • Walsh 3 Brownlow votes​
Over to you guy's!!!

(Mod's please delete post if not wanted, just saw we didn't have one)
Why would you drop cottrell and keep newnes?

Cottrell played well yesterday

They definitely are better than their record.

Hall is pretty damaging at half back.
Zuhurr in a very good purple patch
Jy simpkin/JStephenston/Thomas/LDU improving.

Looks like we going to see their young midfield vs our mids for the next decade.

Pretty sure Crows handed our ass back when they were bottom last year.

If we get ahead of ourselves we’re certain to lose - a danger game if there ever was one. They beat WC on their home turf a few weeks ago - we lost to their 2’s away.

This squad must by 101% tuned in for this, no talk of resting or managing players unnecessarily please. If Cripps is fit, straight back in thank you very much. But, playing him more fwd in the absence of so many talls seems a good strategy

Hoping yesterday was Teague’s lightbulb moment.
His beloved deckchairs are yesterday’s news.
Surely he now understands it’s the “ new breeds” time to take ownership of the team and move forward together.
If his job is to be saved, they’re the smarter play for him now.
The “structures” were fine yesterday.
Silvagni did all he had to do in his ruck cameos in providing a contest.
You don’t just play size for the sake of size if they don’t contribute and the way we finished all over the top of Collingwood was duly noted.
Owies needs to take his chances when they come.

In : Cripps Honey
Out : Newnes Cottrell

Newman Jones Plowman
Saad Weitering Stocker
Williams Cripps Fisher
Martin Silvagni Honey
Betts McKay Owies

TDK Walsh Dow

Kennedy Curnow SPS Williamson

SUB : Cottrell

If Harry McKay entered a 'Harry McKay lookalike contest', i reckon he'd be runner up to Ben.

We might be forced to through injuries anyway, but was really encouraged with JSOS' performance as support ruck vs Grundy and keen to see us stick to that structure over bringing in Pitto or Casboult which we've done this year.

Moving forward, having McKay & Charlie as permanent key forwards with JSOS as third tall/support ruck seems a really good structure if JSOS can keep performing well in the role like he did vs Collingwood. It might also convince the coaching panel we don't need Cripps to do it anymore which I think is a waste.

Gives us new flexibility and the ability to move past Casboult - who will retire soon anyway. It would absolutely cement his place in the team as well.

lol, losing this game would be.... unpleasant.

Just like last year when we lost to the Crows....

No speaking this into existence.

We cracked the door to finals open just a bit yesterday. This is the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back