Preview RND 19 - Carlton v North Melbourne Saturday 24th July 1.45PM @ Marvel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garters

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Older players in other teams hold their spots because they are killing it - Eddie is absolutely average - he has had one good game which we lost.....

Small forwards should be helping out across the field more and this is what Honey brings - highlighted by the VFL coaches specifically.
Eddie has low tackles, low marks, low disposals and average goal kicking - one big game as mentioned.

Commentators go ballistic if he touches the ball once - but his actual output is very low.

View attachment 1184398

10th for small fwd goals kicked in the comp, 11 more than our next best, you're right, very low output, what's more all those other small forwards on the list kicking the door down kicking bags of goals in the 2's aren't getting a look in. Sh*t situation....

ralphmalph

Club Legend
Jul 24, 2004
milwaukee
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
I loved him as a footballer. I distinctly remember the bombers comeback, I was at that game with my uncle and my Nonna was battling terminal cancer so it was a really nice outing to get my mind off of it. I wanted to go home as a young sulky kid but my uncle kept saying that Fev hadn’t touched it yet and if he got one before halftime then we have to stay.

Fev kicked eight that day, he took us to victory with 8 in just over a half of footy.

Anyway, a little off topic but I sincerely believe that game made me well and truly fall in love with Carlton. I romanticise moments like that and reckon we could pull out another famous victory this weekend with an unlikely hero taking McKay’s spot. Keep us in the hunt for an unlikely finals tilt.
I nearly left just before half time. My abiding memory is the feeling of the mcg absolutely rocking. The stadium genuinely felt alive and the people there were like the blood pumping through it. Up there with 2012 elimination as one of my favorite games at the G.

BringFevBack2021

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
I nearly left just before half time. My abiding memory is the feeling of the mcg absolutely rocking. The stadium genuinely felt alive and the people there were like the blood pumping through it. Up there with 2012 elimination as one of my favorite games at the G.
Yep, the crowd noise when Fevola kicked his 2nd on the run was immense!

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
10th for small fwd goals kicked in the comp, 11 more than our next best, you're right, very low output, what's more all those other small forwards on the list kicking the door down kicking bags of goals in the 2's aren't getting a look in. Sh*t situation....
Not sure If serious but.

Eddie is equal 6th as a small forward for goals this year with 24 in 15 games. Those above him are Toby (35), Charlie C (32), Bruest(29) Papley (29) and Pickett (26).
The last four have played 2 more games than Eddie.

Garters

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Not sure If serious but.

Eddie is equal 6th as a small forward for goals this year with 24 in 15 games. Those above him are Toby (35), Charlie C (32), Bruest(29) Papley (29) and Pickett (26).
The last four have played 2 more games than Eddie.
Was being facetious, to some poster calling out betts' lack of output. I was looking at the league goal kickers and gave 'small fwd' status to a couple who prob didn't deserve it and came up with 10th. 6th only amplifies what he has achieved. We would be in a world of issues had we not had him as our small fwd option this year. Given lack of anyone banging the doordown.

Dec 26, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Still have night terrors thinking of Liam Ryan’s 4 goals against us when WC 2’s, sans Kennedy and Oscar Allen, beat us in Sydney. They played him out of the square with Darling the only tall down there.

Jack Martin is our Liam Ryan and we should do the same. JSOS to be our only tall as well, with cameos from Crippa/Matt K.

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Was being facetious, to some poster calling out betts' lack of output. I was looking at the league goal kickers and gave 'small fwd' status to a couple who prob didn't deserve it and came up with 10th. 6th only amplifies what he has achieved. We would be in a world of issues had we not had him as our small fwd option this year. Given lack of anyone banging the doordown.
Apologies, all good.

Zlatan

Premiership Player
Dec 10, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Still have night terrors thinking of Liam Ryan’s 4 goals against us when WC 2’s, sans Kennedy and Oscar Allen, beat us in Sydney. They played him out of the square with Darling the only tall down there.

Jack Martin is our Liam Ryan and we should do the same. JSOS to be our only tall as well, with cameos from Crippa/Matt K.

Thought Martin had quite a decent game last week, and looked to be moving much better.

Gonna need everyone to contribute on the scoreboard today.

Pentatonic Flat Fifth

All Australian
Apr 18, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton

There are no 2's being played - when they were being played yes - Honey was being selected for praise. The nature of the reserves is very different to the seniors so no small fowards kick bags - no one smashes the door down to get a game - it really is poor understanding of how the system works.

Further the point is Eddies contribution outside of 1 or 2 goals each week (often none) is one of the worst in the comp amongst forwards. Thats a damning stat - so why should he prevent kids from developing, kids who will be there next year and Eddie wont.

And the point I was making which you ignored - out of the 75 forwards listed Eddie is also

33rd contested possessions

Uncontested - does not make the list out of 75

Disposals - does not make the list out of 75

Last for marks 75th

Jan 2, 2009
Penguin
AFL Club
Carlton
Surely if Teague figures out a way to win well today without Harry he starts getting some public applause for this turn around post bye. Scrutiny shouldnt be aimed at him if we lose with our injury list. Let’s not do another ratten.

Treesloth

Team Captain
Sep 14, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
If we are really getting to where we want to be, these kids should not be getting a look in till 2 seasons of solid form before call up. If a couple of games of ok form warrants you being discussed as call up material then our depth / quality of list is a long way from where we need it to be.
Nice sentiment but this all depends on what the boys are offering in the seniors as well. I’d rather guys not get consistently played across two seasons of indifferent form.

I just want guys played on merit - if you’re playing well in the twos and the player in that role isn’t going brilliant at AFL level then I’m happy for the change to be made until a player establishes themselves at the level.

As I’ve said previously - Honey has absolutely played well enough, often enough to warrant more senior opportunities given the form of players in his role in the senior side.

Nov 14, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Jones won’t play forward
Ben McKay won’t play forward

We may play Jack Martin out of the square, he’s a great kick an amazing contested mark. Some may say he’s small, but I reckon he is likely a similar height to Fev.

He’s a fair bit shorter and lighter (playing weight) than Fev.

But agree we’ll need to go precise to Martin, Kennedy et al or chaos ball.

Honour

Debutant
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Jones ruck? I'm sure he played there successfully (a bit) in the seconds when he was building a few years back...Tdk foward?

Pentatonic Flat Fifth

All Australian
Apr 18, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Surely if Teague figures out a way to win well today without Harry he starts getting some public applause for this turn around post bye. Scrutiny shouldnt be aimed at him if we lose with our injury list. Let’s not do another ratten.

If Teague loses today he's in serious trouble. Ratten turned the team around and made finals - In 2017 Bolton won 6 games. Lets hope Teague can manage MORE than a single game more than that this year - because so far - he hasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back