AFL Autopsy RND 19: Loss to the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Ginnivan has brought some damage to the AFL with his “approach” to being tackled. This whole heated situation is because he took something that outlier players like Selwood do and went way too far with it. Of course the AFL had to crack down and possibly be too strict in an effort to stamp it out.
The AFL need to come out and green light the decapitation of Cody Weightman.

What a campaigner. I’m dodging football talk back, newspapers etc. losing close ones is a part of football, but to those campaigners who * me off as equally as c#rlton. Wow, not good. And then you get the maggots who start messaging, texting, vaping, s**t stirring. campaigners I haven’t heard from in months !!
Im cutting my nose off to spite my face here but I’m not feeding my magpies for a week. Annoy some other campaigner you campaigners.
Amen brother! And so eloquent! :tearsofjoy:

Appreciate the detailed response Ant. I'll maintain that we could've set the ground better during Harrys 30 seconds and been more prepared.

This from Trucks presser

'Its all disappointing. Disappointed we hit the post, you know, we couldn't get set, the ball shouldn't get down there that quick, we should spoil that ball out of bounds.... unfortunately its a part of the game tonight and one of the lessons we need to learn.'
Well yes. Peter Wright was certainly not set. The players in the middle where where they should have been. The issue was the deep forwards. Which is why it was smart by Pendlebury to quickly see where the space was.

They definitely looked like that manning up was a reaction to the point rather than being switched on defensively anticipating a point. I feel like they could've been set up and positioned gaurding more space while still having a man and communicating to guys like Ham to stick with Bianco.
Agree. They know Ham is the last picked if picked (sorry Brayden), someone needed to remind him Bianco is his man, knowing that Wright has Moore, because that would be the set up. It doesn't seem like anyone did because they were preoccupied.

Not sure what the Collingwood supporters are LOLing at? Essendon mucked around, the only reason they won. They looked second-rate for the majority of the game. This is after two less than a kick wins against bottom 4 sides. This "good in a close finish" is hilarious. We can see statistically that this never lasts, despite some teams having a good run for a season.

I love their ball movement when they take on the game. This comes with the pacey and skillful players they have. However, their list is soo far from being any good sustainable. Their talls are poo and their contest work at a clearance is shizen. The two most important aspects for long-term results.

I know it is funny to win a game you didn't deserve because your opponents choked. However, it's not that important for Essendon this year. Losing for dumb reasons now is better than when we're actually challenging. Helps the rebuild really, which is clearly a few years ahead of Collingwoods, despite some injuries and form slumps through the middle of the year.

I mean honestly, did you (Collingwood supporters) start this year expecting bottom 4? All Collingwood supporters I know did. Do you expect to actually do anything in the finals? Would you be surprised if you're in the bottom half of the table next year?

Are you loling cause you hope people are upset or cause this is your copium to avoid what has been a fun, but a pointless year for you? I feel embarrassed for you.

Sorry to intrude, but I think it's got a lot to do with none of us expected to be anywhere near top 8 and now every single week seems to just be a chaos fest where you have no idea what to expect. To top it off we've played like absolute dogshit for 4 weeks straight and won all four so it's a very strange feeling, can't say I've experienced it. Usually we're either bad or we're good or just average. This year we're like Badgood? Goodbad? I expect us to make a final, most likely lose. No matter what, successful season, but for me the season is ultra successful if we can at least make the final a real tight test.

I don't say I expect us to drop back down next year, I see nothing to suggest that at all. We're not really playing good and out of our skins with no scope for improvement, we're actually playing pretty s**t we just seem to play the game out to the end and have a will to win and decent fitness levels.

Sorry to intrude, but I think it's got a lot to do with none of us expected to be anywhere near top 8 and now every single week seems to just be a chaos fest where you have no idea what to expect. To top it off we've played like absolute dogshit for 4 weeks straight and won all four so it's a very strange feeling, can't say I've experienced it. Usually we're either bad or we're good or just average. This year we're like Badgood? Goodbad? I expect us to make a final, most likely lose. No matter what, successful season, but for me the season is ultra successful if we can at least make the final a real tight test.

I don't say I expect us to drop back down next year, I see nothing to suggest that at all. We're not really playing good and out of our skins with no scope for improvement, we're actually playing pretty s**t we just seem to play the game out to the end and have a will to win and decent fitness levels.
Whether or not Collingwood drops is dependent on if the elder core holds form or if they can be replaced by younger players without a decrease in output.

You're basically us in 2021. Beating lowly fixtured sides with some nabs at a couple of big fish. Reality and a tougher draw will settle you in, and then you're us now.

No one knows it more than us cos we've been there before. Enjoy it while it lasts. Scurry along now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're basically us in 2021. Beating lowly fixtured sides with some nabs at a couple of big fish. Reality and a tougher draw will settle you in, and then you're us now.

No one knows it more than us cos we've been there before. Enjoy it while it lasts. Scurry along now.

Okay Nostradamus.

I think they're a decent chance tbh.
Cats & Dees with Pies a smokey if everything goes right. And won't count the dogs out if they slip into 8th

I'd prefer pies meet us at 16 over Blues (or pies) beating us to 17.
Both clubs have a tough test coming up as well. their record v top 4 is as bad as ours (or worse for Carlton)
Why not have neither?

Watching that footage and reading that analysis is very interesting.

I feel like two things are clear from that.

1. Once Ham had committed to going to Moore, all he had to do was get in the way and apply defensive pressure to Moore to stop the quick play. He does exactly the opposite and turns around to run in the opposite direction. He's either realised he totally screwed up in the moment or couldn't handle the pressure/responsibility. Gosh, it's really hard to watch.

2. Pendlebury seems to know exactly what to do to win games and would be a great AFL coach. I'm obviously dreaming, but I would given an arm and a leg to get him at our club when he finally retires. Not to replace anyone necessarily, but just as a very good football brain.

2. Pendlebury seems to know exactly what to do to win games and would be a great AFL coach. I'm obviously dreaming, but I would given an arm and a leg to get him at our club when he finally retires. Not to replace anyone necessarily, but just as a very good football brain.
More "very good football brains" can't hurt us.
I agree that we need that footy nous because we're prone to doing dumb s**t.

As you might imagine, I’ve watched the last quarter many times. One thing I keep noticing is how gracious the Essendon players were at the end when they must have felt absolutely gutted. Kudos to them 👍🏾.

Well yes. Peter Wright was certainly not set. The players in the middle where where they should have been. The issue was the deep forwards. Which is why it was smart by Pendlebury to quickly see where the space was.
Screenshot_20220727-202543_Google.jpg

The Red Dots are where our players were when Pendlebury recieves the ball to kick in

The Black Dots are where our players should've been when Pendlebury recieves the ball to kick in, in my opinion.

Another one comes out of the woodwork....FFS, cry me a river.

AFL legend Leigh Matthews left ‘sick’ and ‘disturbed’ in extraordinary live radio rant

Will be barracking hard for Port this week for sure.

Then in the next breath says those using some dramatic language regarding a Tassie team should 'cut the crap'. You couldn't make this up.

Has he not being paying attention to the HTB interpretation these last several years, if it's the 'fabric' worrying him so damn much?

View attachment 1458324

The Red Dots are where our players were when Pendlebury recieves the ball to kick in

The Black Dots are where our players should've been when Pendlebury recieves the ball to kick in, in my opinion.
Maybe so but we have tried that sort of zone for over 6 years and continually get burnt by it. That is why they changed to man in zone after about round 8.
The issue is still the overlap created from the first kick. That is where the escape is. Once you get the overlap you are pretty much done.
Even with that set up Moore can still reach the wing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back